Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299843 times)

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #795 on: June 12, 2011, 01:08:03 pm »

is that even fun at all? really, that's not the way the game was meant to be played.
dried food in a cellar lasts over a year. i don't think flour and grain spoils, if it does, it at least lasts over a year too

Vorbicon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: June 20, 2011, 01:20:33 am »

When I hit a dry spell in catching wild animals for food, that can only mean one thing... CANNIBALISM! Seriously, kill and eat people. Little bit of long pig never hurt anyone.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #797 on: June 20, 2011, 01:34:48 pm »

Cannibalism works ingame, but I've never resorted to it. I did once cut up several enemy raiders and burn them for warmth in the winter while cutting their clothes up for bandages when I was too injured and cold to make it home. Human flesh also apparently works as a good kindling to set fire to houses. Not quite sure how my character builds fire entirely out of human flesh, but I guess he's ingenious like that.

Never really had trouble finding a meal ingame. Any day I need to I can just roam around climbing trees on the overland map until I spot a large animal. With the tracking system you can pursue animals in the zoomed in map until you catch them.

I do tend to build good hunter characters though. I reroll stats for high speed and endurance so he can chase animals down. It's much more difficult if you have a weaker character.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: June 20, 2011, 02:21:15 pm »

I like to just raid towns. With skill, you can shove-bump someone outside the boundary of the town, and when you kill them it doesn't enrage the whole populace. Eventually, one makes a ghost town full of loot.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: June 20, 2011, 03:35:06 pm »

For me, its mostly traps. Build a nice long fence trap, put snares everywhere, and then stop by every couple weeks.

For the first bit, I'll often trade for food if possible, or set up some snares or fish and basically half-starve my way till the first trap works, and then I'm good for the forseeable future. If I'm playing someone with hunting skills, I'll do the "climb a tree" thing and find some big game to take down, usually with thrown spears.

I forget if there are actually migration patterns that make trap fences more useful. Probably not...

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: June 20, 2011, 04:03:02 pm »

With a high enough fishing skill active fishing can easily get you enough fish to live, adding nets into the mix makes your storehouses overflow
*Hugs*

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: June 22, 2011, 12:37:20 am »

I noticed that most of the animals are up north. If you're near the south coast, big game is rare and you have to resort more to fishing.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: June 22, 2011, 03:27:30 am »

Note that Cannibalism angers the spirits, and can lead to curses (at least that is what I've read, but have never been able to test).

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: June 22, 2011, 06:39:20 am »

Waiting for the next minor update to come, which will be soon, before buying.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #804 on: December 23, 2011, 05:56:55 pm »

Sami just released the new version today.

Lots of nice changes. NPCs use a wound system like the player now, and you can cripple them with leg and thigh wounds. I shot a reindeer in the thigh with an arrow and caused a serious bleeding wound. It ran off a ways, and I followed the blood trail to it - where I found it crippled on the ground bleeding and finished it off with my knife.

Archery and throwing has undergone a rewrite too. Now it fires along a specific trajectory, and doesn't always land right where you were aiming. Your arrow might miss what you're aiming at, but hit something else in that direction.

Theres been some changes to the rest of the combat system too. Longer weapons have an advantage over short ones, and you can gain extra actions in combat from skillful maneuvers (although your enemy can get extra ones too). Theres also the option to counter attack instead of block or dodge.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: December 24, 2011, 02:03:06 am »

I picked this up as I saw it mentioned elsewhere, and it's pretty hot.  I'm having a bit of trouble with very early survival though, particularly finding food!  Traps seem to be the glory of all food-harvesting tools, but they never catch anything for me...  I've done good carving bowls to sell for meat, but I get a lot of strange spawns...  Like, I didn't get an axe this time so I had to sell my shirt for one to do bowls.  And I've not seen a single hunting store in the Diirk-ish territory.

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: December 24, 2011, 02:29:22 am »

Driik villages are usually surrounded by farmland, try kipping a few veggies for yourself. Better yet, craft a bunch of bowls and trade for a cow or something. You can milk it once a day (Use a Tub for the maximum amount, steal one from a village sauna) for nearly limitless amounts of nutritious milk or slaughter it for a posterior-load of meat as well as its hide. Cows cost something around 10 bowls in the previous version, though it might have gone up to 15 in this one.

As for an axe, you do know that you can make a stone axe right?
« Last Edit: December 24, 2011, 02:35:33 am by Blaze »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: December 24, 2011, 02:44:26 am »

...stone axe, derp.  Though that doesn't actually help me with building, and the stone axe is poor at everything.  Apparently if it takes like 10+ hours then it's impossible to do, I can't build walls with my felling axe alone.  Although you're right, Driik villages never have hunting stores... where might I buy myself a good bow then?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: December 24, 2011, 02:46:16 am »

Driik villages should have the occasional weapon store though.

If all else fails, you could try robbing one of the traveling traders.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #809 on: December 24, 2011, 02:46:47 am »

I found that fishing nets are crazy good for getting food. Two or three of them and I'm fine for food.
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 101