Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299825 times)

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #660 on: January 02, 2011, 10:02:12 pm »

What is going on here? I've tried mentioning The UnReal World for years to various communities, including this one and I either get flamed about how the game is shit or no one likes it and it's ignored. There some new update or are people just finally giving it a chance?

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #661 on: January 02, 2011, 10:04:40 pm »

That and the fact blaze threw 10 subscriptions our way.

Also, what the hell, I've never seen a lynx. I saw lotsa bears now, and sometimes I hear people talking abut lynxes buy they never know anything regarding location.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #662 on: January 02, 2011, 10:05:30 pm »

What is going on here? I've tried mentioning The UnReal World for years to various communities, including this one and I either get flamed about how the game is shit or no one likes it and it's ignored. There some new update or are people just finally giving it a chance?
yea man 3.13 just hit the markets. its a good game but needs more stuff.

lynxes are up in the mountains, or so in real life but they are everywhere.

TwilightWalker

• Bay Watcher
  • Oops.
    • View Profile
« Reply #663 on: January 02, 2011, 10:07:35 pm »

That's kind of insulting.

Oh, sorry. I think you are too self-entitled for your own good though.  Or maybe you are Sami instead? What about the part I called him a GREAT game developer? And his game as well?

The games are completely comparable. Adventure mode is heading for the same kind of survival approach than UrW. The difference is that DF aspires for being so much more than just a survival sim.
Man, what? Arrogant DF fanatic, I guess? There's no need to be a jerk.
Anyway, to be on topic, started my first character and set up a shelter on a lake side, trying to fish for food and hunt that single badger that badgered me for days with the temptation of actual food. After a few days with no success and starvation looming, I went looking for a settlement. Found a vagabond sage, killed him, and cut his carcass up for 32 pieces of juicy human meat. Afterwards I realized I forgot to skin his hide so I could finally make some kind of rope with which to make an axe, bah. Currently living in his kota, though, so things look pretty good.

Don't woryr, you can't skin humans, so you didn't lose anything.

Rakonas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #664 on: January 02, 2011, 10:56:49 pm »

That's kind of insulting.

Oh, sorry. I think you are too self-entitled for your own good though.  Or maybe you are Sami instead? What about the part I called him a GREAT game developer? And his game as well?

The games are completely comparable. Adventure mode is heading for the same kind of survival approach than UrW. The difference is that DF aspires for being so much more than just a survival sim.
Man, what? Arrogant DF fanatic, I guess? There's no need to be a jerk.
Anyway, to be on topic, started my first character and set up a shelter on a lake side, trying to fish for food and hunt that single badger that badgered me for days with the temptation of actual food. After a few days with no success and starvation looming, I went looking for a settlement. Found a vagabond sage, killed him, and cut his carcass up for 32 pieces of juicy human meat. Afterwards I realized I forgot to skin his hide so I could finally make some kind of rope with which to make an axe, bah. Currently living in his kota, though, so things look pretty good.

Don't woryr, you can't skin humans, so you didn't lose anything.
Ah, that's both a relief and a disappointment. Currently tracking a stag, throwing javelins at it whenever it notices me, bit worried that I'll end up empty-handed... Is successfully sneaking an improvable chance, anyway?
Edit: Fuck year, two javelins and several rocks to the legs, combined with chasing it from morning to dusk, and it finally died. 378 meat from my first animal kill.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2011, 11:32:29 pm by Rakonas »

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #665 on: January 03, 2011, 12:29:47 am »

Dude seriously? 45 pages? You're trying to imply Bay12ers don't care about UnReal World?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #666 on: January 03, 2011, 12:32:46 am »

Game isn't shit, just has a very narrow focus and niche appeal.

Lap

• Bay Watcher
  • I <3 Lua
    • View Profile
« Reply #667 on: January 03, 2011, 12:59:10 am »

You guys should have seen what happened when I mentioned on the Facepunch forums that this game had way more depth than Stranded. Hilarious explosive outrage.

Seamas

• Bay Watcher
  • Which way to the Egress?
    • View Profile
« Reply #668 on: January 03, 2011, 02:31:32 am »

Because of 3.13, my life currently belongs to URW.  And I've never really taken a liking to this game before.  Suddenly, it's all that I want to play, even if all I'm capable of is doggedly staving off starvation with my fishing pole.

Some people will just never understand that, and that's OK.
"One should behave like a gentleman when dealing with gentlemen, and a bastard when dealing with bastards."

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #669 on: January 03, 2011, 07:42:47 am »

To be honest, I do find it funny how little URW accomplishes compared to DF. It's just hilarious.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
  • Profession: Handsome Rogue
    • View Profile
« Reply #670 on: January 03, 2011, 07:44:15 am »

To be honest, I do find it funny how little URW accomplishes compared to DF. It's just hilarious.

They're completely different games ???.
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #671 on: January 03, 2011, 07:45:39 am »

Still, you'd think he could've done more than just let you set up a little cabin in the middle of nowhere and survive.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #672 on: January 03, 2011, 07:53:33 am »

Still, you'd think he could've done more than just let you set up a little cabin in the middle of nowhere and survive.

That's like saying that Gran Turismo 5 could have done more than have driving ???... It's not designed to shoot laser-beams or enable world peace... It's a rather charming and simple survival roguelike. What were you expecting?

Dig Deeper DIAMOND - 750+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

Deus ex Machina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #673 on: January 03, 2011, 08:15:30 am »

That's like saying that Gran Turismo 5 could have done more than have driving ???... It's not designed to shoot laser-beams or enable world peace... It's a rather charming and simple survival roguelike. What were you expecting?

Within 8 years, Toady has managed to design a decent world gen, simulate pathfinding, wars etc for thousands of entities, created two seperate modes of gameplay and made dwarves hilarious and predictable in unpredictable ways.

Within 10 years, the guy that does URW has managed to do an alright world gen, do decent work on animal migration and done some basics in terms of everything else. I'd just expect, with a ten (fifteen, isn't it?) year development, that this would be the most perfect survival simulator with complex interaction with villages and other cultures and the ability to integrate into other cultures yourself etc. Not just a cabin building simulator.

The13thRonin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #674 on: January 03, 2011, 08:26:21 am »

Within 8 years, Toady has managed to design a decent world gen, simulate pathfinding, wars etc for thousands of entities, created two seperate modes of gameplay and made dwarves hilarious and predictable in unpredictable ways.

Within 10 years, the guy that does URW has managed to do an alright world gen, do decent work on animal migration and done some basics in terms of everything else. I'd just expect, with a ten (fifteen, isn't it?) year development, that this would be the most perfect survival simulator with complex interaction with villages and other cultures and the ability to integrate into other cultures yourself etc. Not just a cabin building simulator.

Toady chose to give Dwarf Fortress priority over a lot of other things in his life and he works on it full-time. It's not easy to give any project that level of dedication. Until you have put the hundreds if not thousands of required hours and sweat into developing a complicated game with procedural generation for yourself you will not understand what is involved. You don't just build games overnight, most people would find it almost impossible to summon up sufficient motivation to even be able to code a title screen let alone a game. Don't make the mistake of thinking that anyone will pander to your schedule and have as much done by what time you decide it should be done by. If you want to have that luxery then you need to start programming a game yourself.

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 101