Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299393 times)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #315 on: February 08, 2010, 09:48:57 pm »

Spruce twigs can't be used as arrow shafts, you'll need to find branches from trees other than spruce.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: February 09, 2010, 01:09:03 pm »

Interesting game...  walking food seems to be sparse in spring... and when I do happen to encounter walking food... really hard to run em down.  Hell, its hard enough killing an elk on an island...

I ended up clubbing and eating some random human I found outside and alone out of desperation.  The poor sod never saw it coming...  I also ate his uncooked fat by accident and got sick cause of it.

I'm already in another desperate foodless situation... been keeping an eye out for strays... no luck yet.

I'm loving it.

So my question... human population....  the food source that lets you get close enough with a club... 

Is there a max number?  Can I end up wiping em all out?  Will new ones show up sooner or later?
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 09, 2010, 01:15:46 pm »

I don't know the answer to that question, but I really feel sorry for the little people in that world, as I expect you may try and find out.

You might try hunting with a bow and some arrows if you are struggling getting close enough to animals to whack them.

A bow can be crafted fairly simply (but it takes a bit of time - so best bet is to make sure you are well prepared for a six hour sit-down). If you are looking for some string for the bow, try tearing apart some of your non-essential clothing.

Also arrows are fairly straightforward, just need some rocks, string, and branches.

That way you don't need to try and outrun an elk, you just need to track it down repeatedly until you get in range, then fire at it. You probably need a good bunch of arrows though to make sure, if you hit an elk and it doesn't bite the dust, you 'lose' your arrow (stuck in it's flesh) until you do manage to kill it. I seem to think it can take between 5-10 arrows to bring one down (depending on if you get lucky / unlucky with shots that make him bleed out).

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 09, 2010, 01:30:01 pm »

Hunting is much more difficult now than it was a couple versions ago.
You used to be able to walk up to a herd of elk and club them down one by one, practically.
Now, as you've noticed, you pretty much have to use a bow or crossbow (Javelins work as well, and are easy to make!).
I for one am glad hunting is harder... it used to be way too easy. This also makes passive hunting (traps) much more valuable.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 09, 2010, 03:24:21 pm »

Village's don't get new people in 'em. Njerpez warriors spawn randomly though, so if you're like me, who got lucky and started in an area where both those, animals and even foreign traders roam, you could have a permanent food supply out of humans.

Apparently though, that's supposed to be bad somehow, I don't know how, but spirits apparently don't take kindly to cannibalism. Maybe it's actually just a thing that's being said and it doesn't have any in-game punishment yet.

Anyway. Njerpez, random spawns happen all the time. You can enter their camps, and kill every single one of them, and turn them into bunch of delicious meat. However, once a camp is emptied, there won't be any Njerpez there later on.

I've emptied only one camp so far during a night raid, so I can't say if it effects spawn rates. It might simply be that they're spawning out of the camps nearby and if I wipe those out, less to no Njerpez.

Anyway, carrying on.

You CAN empty every village, settlement and camp of people and eat everyone if that's your gig.

Starvation? Worry not, because you can walk far enough on the world map to get to the map border, and if you pass further from there, you can go to a whole new map, that's regen'ed, and filled with new villages and meat people.

At least that's what I remember doing in the last version. I figure I wanted to check out some new place after the whole "well that's one house done".
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 03:28:33 pm by Ieb »

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #320 on: February 09, 2010, 04:24:38 pm »

The new version doesn't have map borders. You get one giant world, no transitioning to a new one.

I never understood why so many people were massacreing and eating villages. So many people playing psychopaths in the game :P

Build yourself a decent collection of traps (trap fence or just single traps scattered about) and you can catch all the meat you need. Even hunting isn't *that* hard, just get a bow or some javelins.

Or if you happen to make a superman character with crazy high stats I think you can still run down animals by sprinting with nothing but a melee weapon (no clothes to weigh you down!). The new animal tracks should let you follow them fine, just run them down until they slow and hack em apart.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 09, 2010, 04:48:52 pm »

I was afraid someone would tell me that there's no more map borders. Sad face. : (

I have no idea what's not in anymore and what I don't remember to find out it's not in anymore.

Anyway. People like massacre because hey, at some point, things get boring. Or you just make up a character who's point in life is massacre.

Also, while most animals do run away, try going up naked against a bear, or god forbid, lynx. Lynx would be worse, actually.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #322 on: February 09, 2010, 05:09:18 pm »

If you've mastered the dodge skill (100%) and have nothing on you but a melee weapon (I use the battle axe) you can actually fight quite well naked.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 09, 2010, 05:27:28 pm »

I'll probably resort to eating a village if my food problems arn't fixed... at least die trying...

EDIT More Question: Animal population

Are they infinite? 

Tree population:
Is it infinite?  As in... new trees regrow every now and then?

EDIT 2: Food cooking/processing
Does food life get reset when you cook/process it?
« Last Edit: February 09, 2010, 06:45:22 pm by Zangi »
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 09, 2010, 06:46:03 pm »

Hmm, I haven't had any character who got to 100% in any skill before some unfortunate death or other.

So I wouldn't know how it's like with 100% Dodge while naked.

To animals, pretty sure they spawn infinitely. I haven't seen any sign of them thinning out, although a few times experienced characters have faced starvation simply because the animals weren't just walking around the area I patrolled on.

And trees, I'm pretty sure they don't grow back. Or if they do, it takes a bit longer than what it takes in DF for them to appear. I've cleared a lot of my island building my few buildings, but yet to see any new trees in the area.

But really, there are so many trees in the average world, that it's not a matter of running out, but how you're supposed to get them all where you need them.

Maybe you could clear-cut a forest and start a successful woodcrafting business.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: February 09, 2010, 06:53:34 pm »

Hmm... alright...  so I'll have to have a logging business or two away from my home and then push around +10k logs/felled trees... all at once..

Some more questions: Food cooking/processing
Does food life get reset when you cook/process it?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: February 09, 2010, 07:33:27 pm »

Hmm... alright...  so I'll have to have a logging business or two away from my home and then push around +10k logs/felled trees... all at once..
That's what rivers and punts are for.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: February 10, 2010, 06:55:39 pm »

Ok....  the patch, I can't download it for some reason.. can anyone help me there?

http://material.lahnarecords.fi/urw/urw312b-patch_2.zip <-- is supposedly the link, but I get the page load error...

Surprisingly a lot of bootlegging for a fairly cheap game...

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: February 10, 2010, 07:43:31 pm »

Yeah the site's down for some reason, possibly maintenance.
You'll just have to wait a bit.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: February 10, 2010, 07:58:27 pm »

I remember the first time I got attacked by a Njerpez warrior. I posted the encounter somewhere in this thread, but I think I neglected to mention cooking and eating him out of desperation. In any case, your best bet for food early on is probably fishing, as if you start in the spring, the berries and edible plants aren't ripe yet, and land mammals are hard to come by without extra effort. After a certain amount of time, you are almost guaranteed to catch -something-. May not be much, but enough to feed you. Beyond that, steal turnips from the farming fields around villages.
!!&!!
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 101