Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299382 times)

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #285 on: December 22, 2009, 08:02:25 pm »

Eh for $3 I am sure I will pick it up some time. But I just got the last version like 2 weeks ago  :( I think I will be fine with it for now.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: December 23, 2009, 12:19:41 am »

Just got it.
It looked like he REALLY improved the map generation.
No more regenning to see other tribes! ^_^

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: December 23, 2009, 08:55:26 am »

Can you get married, raise a family, or any thing like that?

So far I've been building my house and trying to survive (killed a bear with my wood axe!) but was wondering if there was any thing else to work towards.

Aristharus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: December 23, 2009, 09:00:20 am »

You used to be able to get married in a previous version, but it was taken out when the whole conversation engine was replaced. Sami said he will put marriage back when he has time, but it's not in at the moment.

You couldn't raise a family, though. All having a wive did was that your wounds healed a bit faster and your cookery skill got a boost while having your wive with you.
I can picture in my mind a world without war, a world without hate. And I can picture us attacking that world, because they'd never expect it.

A Dwarven Smokeologist

• Bay Watcher
  • Shortcut to Mushrooms
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: December 23, 2009, 09:06:38 am »

Can I join a town /group and take war to the Nejzeal(spelling way off) or any thing like that?

Fun game so far (feels like a more intimate version of Oregon trail, kind of) but just wondering what else there is to do (if any thing yet).

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #290 on: January 15, 2010, 10:21:04 pm »

I heard Toady mention this in the latest Dwarf Fortress Talk, so I did a search. Wow, this is lots of fun! And for $3, the price can't be beat!

Apparently (going by comments on threads here), the game development is pretty slow, huh? That's a shame. Like DF, I'm sure I'll play for awhile and then wait for the next version before starting up again. Well, a mainstream developer would be quicker, but we'd likely get just a carbon copy action game, little different from what everyone else is doing.

There's a lot UnReal World could use, but I'm enjoying it as is. But I'm a builder at heart, so I like the constructive parts of games more than the destructive. And I really like the unique setting.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #291 on: January 15, 2010, 10:53:26 pm »

I remember some of my first games on UrW, way back when. I remember being in love with the idea of making huge fences through an area with a few bottle-neck passages through them full of pit traps with sharp spikes at the bottom.

I remember my first 'successful' game in which I'd clear cut a reasonable area of land, nestled up against the bank of a wide river. I Built a huge fence all around it, and along the perimeter I dug spiked pit traps except for a narrow spot I could use as an escape route by jumping over the fence if I needed. I also had a small paddock for sheep and a small farm that took me a long time to build up (I had started as a trapper, so had no seeds to begin with until I traded for some with a passing fur trader). I also remember that by and large I lived off Njerpez cuts... not the most moral way to survive, but I didn't get many bears or reindeer come through, but like every other week 1 or 2 Njerpez would spot my camp and come running only to fall in my death-trench. I remember it was then that I finally built myself a house, it was the first time I'd ever made anything bigger than a cellar to keep my food fresh.

There's a lot to do in this game, it's very open ended though it does run dry after a while. But then, what game doesn't? I find that I can get caught up in this game for about 2 weeks or so at a time where I play it very actively, then my playing time dies down slowly as I focus on other things. However I regularly come back to it. In that way, it's just like DF for me :)

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: January 18, 2010, 01:33:33 pm »

My most successful game was one where I made a shelter in the middle of a map tile (the point where you "spawn" when pressing enter), surrounded it with covered spiked pits (leaving one uncovered and unspiked) and just slept there waiting for bears, njerpez's, wolves, horses, foreign traders, etc to get impaled and then killing them and getting their stuff.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: January 28, 2010, 10:37:09 pm »

I've taken to finding two lakes that run parallel to each other for a couple of tiles, and making gauntlets of trap fences, with a smoke house inside each one, and my main mansion of a house on the shore of one of the lakes.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2010, 11:01:40 am »

I prefer to build next to a river, since it won't freeze.

VanBarn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: February 03, 2010, 05:09:26 am »

Got a question. Everytime i go to look at my armour my game crashes. I dont know how to fix it.. googled the shit out of it and still cant find a solution. so i ask you guys, how do i stop it from crashing everytime i press shift+A? :-\

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #296 on: February 03, 2010, 05:42:27 am »

I've not come across this problem before I'm sorry. Have you tried speaking with the game's Author?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: February 03, 2010, 08:09:34 am »

Are you using Vista? Try running it as an administrator.

VanBarn

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: February 03, 2010, 02:37:35 pm »

Hey right on. tried the administrator deal and it work! ;D i can now see how inferior my protection really is Im stoked

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: February 03, 2010, 03:15:21 pm »

That's why I never install any games under \Program Files, because it is a protected folder. Modern windows games are well behaved in that they store things like saved games under Documents or AppData, but others don't. "Evil Genius" for instance saves the base layouts under its main game folder, requiring Admin permissions (Vista and Windows 7 have a special folder under appdata where it stores files that would otherwise go under Program Files, fooling the program into thinking they're all together, but that causes bugs in several games such as URW, and also makes it a PITA if you want to look for your save files.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 101