Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299345 times)

Farce

• Bay Watcher
  • muttermutterbabble
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #255 on: December 16, 2009, 03:47:53 pm »

I've played this.  My first character killed one of those pissed off raider guys - he dropped his shortsword, so all he could do was kick at me, mostly missing.  I didn't have any combat skill, AND I didn't realize there was a "repeat last action" type button for a while, so it was mostly three key presses a round, both of us missing like 80% of the time.

VERY frequently I dropped my weapons - his sword, my, I think it was a knife? - which was more keypresses interrupting the miss fest.

Eventually I killed him.  I was tired and a bit injured, so I went and found a lake, drank some water, and went to sleep.

Since it was my first guy, I didn't know to build a shelter or fence or anything.  In the middle of that night, I'm woken up.  I go see what's up, and find a stray dog.

No big deal, right?  I just killed a bandit or something, what's some starving forest mutt?

As soon as I walk up to it, I'm dead.  One-shotted by a dog, after surviving a fight with a warrior guy.  I was pretty irritated.  I guess "stray dog" actually meant "horrible dire alpha dog", and it ripped my spine out through my stomach or something equally horrible.  While I was standing.  Because it takes a round to knock a guy prone.

Well, after that I learned about building and such, so my characters made little camps and subsisted in various ways.  Very frequently I was almost-starving and such, living off fish that refused to get caught until I was on the brink of death by starvation.

I remember one particular game, I was on a lake nearby a village.  I was doing a tutorial game, got my free tools through it - like a stone axe, which I recall being basically impossible to make yourself unless you already had one? - the area was rich with game such that I happened upon it very frequently without meaning to, and I'd even managed to survive a raider encounter by fleeing straight to my camp.

Then the tutorial tells me to go to the Westernmost edge.  I grab my punt and my oar, and set out.  Adventure!  Excitement!

Stray dog gets me in my sleep.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 07:29:01 pm by Farce »

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: December 16, 2009, 06:43:04 pm »

living off fish that refused to get caught until I was on the brink of death by starvation

I totally know what you mean, that happened to me forever, just blast through the tutorial until they teach you gardening. Then you have free food until winter. Just keep preserving meat after that.

never met a stray dog before, but if they are weaker then bears, then i don't want to even bother with them.

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: December 17, 2009, 01:59:03 pm »

Buyed it yesterday, till now 6+ hours of great fun and its getting better for 2€.

How many people have you killed?  :)

I think I killed about 3 or so in my first 6 hours of playing ...

None. Im roleplaying a hunter character. Actually i didnt saw a human being for two weeks now.

Ah ... oops .. I now see the ambiguity of my first post ... sorry, it was genuinely unintentional, but at least it served to root out a few psychopaths here  :D.

I meant, "how many characters have you led to death through starvation or stupidity"

For what it's worth I also try and RP my little guys as much as possible, as if they were proper people with real motivations.

I see, well i died once in a trial version. Been killed when i entered a village of those "Nijsomething" guys.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: December 17, 2009, 02:27:52 pm »

I camp by villages so I can butcher little girls and haul there body's back to my camp...

kulik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: December 17, 2009, 02:42:33 pm »

I camp by villages so I can butcher little girls and haul there body's back to my camp...

WTF?! Hope videogames will keep you from the streets.

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: December 17, 2009, 03:01:17 pm »

You laugh now, but he was actually talking about real life.

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: December 17, 2009, 03:11:44 pm »

Always remember to skin them BEFORE you cut them for meat.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: December 17, 2009, 04:20:14 pm »

It puts the lotion on its skin, or else it gets the hose again!

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: December 17, 2009, 04:44:52 pm »

How do i check a triggered trap  ???

chewd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: December 17, 2009, 10:57:56 pm »

If its triggered and theres no animal around, then you just have to reset it... pick it up and re-apply.

If you had caught a critter, it would still be stuck there, within a square or two of the trap.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 17, 2009, 11:08:23 pm »

ty

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 18, 2009, 12:26:49 am »

You can't cut humans for skin, incidentally. They give you about 200 cuts a carcass, though. My first order of business in most games is to butcher a town and call it home. Somehow I always intend to simply trade some of my junk for something useful, but it always ends with me up 3-4 buildings and a metric ton of meat. Only question is, how do you preserve the meat?

To be fair, I did also make a character that simply settled by a lake, made a cabin, and fished for most of his food, with the occasional Elk kill. I guess it's mostly the tedium of cabin building that gets to me. Chop chop chop feed sleep log log log feed sleep drag drag drag build feed sleep repeat umpteen times.

Something tells me winter would be Fun... If only I had the patience for it.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: December 18, 2009, 12:50:02 am »

next version has a release date! Expect it for the 22nd!

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: December 18, 2009, 01:30:54 am »

To preserve the meat, you could use some of the clothing from the bodies to make cords, then use a building with a fireplace (like the sauna) and smoke the meat there.

Collect stones to build a cellar and store the meat there after it's finished, it'll keep there for at least 6 months.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: December 18, 2009, 10:51:30 am »

You can also salt meat.
It keeps well.
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 101