Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299436 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1125 on: July 04, 2012, 09:10:09 pm »

I've always used $1 for every hour of enjoyment as my metric for valuing video games, and you can get a good 3 hours just from the demo version of URW. How do you determine how much a game is worth paying for?
Oh god I owe the Mount and Blade people hundreds D:

On-topic.  Trollers gonna troll.  Everything about that post was so terribly ignorant that it's not even worth attempting to argue.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: July 04, 2012, 09:27:05 pm »

I have no clue what I'm doing and the graphics are the cheesiest thing I've ever seen. But there is some legitimate depth here.

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: July 04, 2012, 09:44:24 pm »

I see the 40 dollars version as more of a "donation". But, one that, eventually, does make it worth it.

I've just stuck with the 5 dollar version, I'm sure eventually it will be more when added all up...but ah well. I can afford 5 dollars, a lot more often, than spending 40 dollars at once. And the guy making it gets more money, over time anyway.

As for the game. There are "cheats" so to speak...more like balancing issues. Pick up two tubs. Trade for two sheep. Never go hungry again. I did this just to see, and it did lose a lot of the point of survival. But the only person that can be blamed for that really, is me :P it isn't like its an online game or anything.

My next game, I'll be avoiding using sheep and living 100% off the land. Well, I'll probably need to trade for some things. I really like islands in games...so I almost always trade for a punt+paddle right away, and swim to the furthest island I can find. Then it is islands survival game :D Since one particular area has TONS of islands all around.

As for the graphics. The game has a couple mods on the forums that upgrades them. And there are quite a few other mods...one mod lets you craft fishing nets out of various materials. But it takes quite a lot. I think I edited it to require 20 stone or something (along with the other materials it needs), so it is a bit more balanced.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 09:48:09 pm by Vendayn »
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: July 04, 2012, 10:19:56 pm »

Islands are easier than mainland, in many ways: No worries about forest fires spreading across the map or wandering Njerpez challenging you.

As long as you've established a food supply and a way off the island, you're golden.
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

Vendayn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: July 04, 2012, 10:24:45 pm »

Islands are easier than mainland, in many ways: No worries about forest fires spreading across the map or wandering Njerpez challenging you.

As long as you've established a food supply and a way off the island, you're golden.

Not entirely true about Njerpez. One of my earlier saves (the one before I used the sheep cheat)...I had two random Njerpez warriors spawn on the same island. That was the end of my guy. :P Settlements of them DO randomly spawn on islands, if you keep an eye on the world map. Random settlements of them appear, and their cultural "blob" can be seen.

Didn't realize the game had forest fires though...that sounds really cool. Don't see that often in games.
My own website for Skyrim, Fallout 4, and many other games: http://vendayn.wix.com/skyrimvendayn

Aoi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: July 04, 2012, 10:31:05 pm »

Yeah; they clock in as a regional event. I don't know what they're like now, but they used to be able to sweep across the regional map and turn everything into empty plains. Including villages. (Darn it, I built my cabin in that area because that town had a lot of nice shops to trade with...)
Stench Guzman: Fix this quote, please.
Now celebrating: Two and a half years misquoted. Seriously man. Just fix it. -_-

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: July 05, 2012, 12:53:32 am »

Okay, so swimming into the ocean isn't a good idea. I wish I could find people or something.

boatie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: July 05, 2012, 07:46:33 am »

I wish it was free. This game looks alright, but only a madman would spend even $3 on it, let alone $5. And $40 is almost as much as a year-old big-box title. Note that this is a  20-year-old game with cheesy 2D graphics... do the math.

I am NOT implying that all big-name games are good, nor that all old games with bad graphics are bad. But you can't expect anyone sane to spend the same amount of money on both.

How can it be that only a madman would pay what it takes to buy 3 cokes for a game. It can be a bad decision in that you end up hating the game but have you never payed $5 for a meal you didn't like, that's the same monetary investment.

WCG

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • That's interesting...
« Reply #1133 on: July 05, 2012, 08:09:01 am »

I wish it was free. This game looks alright, but only a madman would spend even $3 on it, let alone $5. And $40 is almost as much as a year-old big-box title.

We all have different tastes. For me, Unreal World is a real bargain! I don't play the game all the time, but I go back to it every year. I'd love to see more games like this, and I'd be happy to spend money on them.

I wish the game were being developed more quickly, but hey, I'm happy that I've got the game at all. As I say, I wish there were more games like it.

And as far as the money goes, Dwarf Fortress is 'free,' but I've spent more money on that than on any other game ever. But then, I just love the fancy graphics.  :D

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: July 05, 2012, 09:05:42 am »

i can testify that i've spent roughly the same amount of time having fun with unreal world as i did with dwarf fortress. probably played URW more, but i'm also counting the time i spent modding df as having fun. i'd say df is the superior project, but judging them simply as a game, urw is better

i also buy the single version every time a new one comes out, paying the 40 dollars won't be a net gain for a long time, but that's not the reason, although i sincerelly think the game is worth that, that amount is simply too crippling to my budget. i also like to *reward* the developer for his work every release, that's why i have no interest in the $10(5) version, even if i expect to keep buying the new versions and it'd probably be a better deal for me. i don't mind paying more than i need to a developer who deserves it, and paying $3 every 3~6 months is very easy.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: July 05, 2012, 09:26:48 am »

I figure the "high" price for the lifetime license is because it's the developer's life work; As far as I know, he's planning on continuing for decades, while most developers spend few years on a single project.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: July 05, 2012, 10:18:04 am »

I thought it was pretty much agreed that the $40 lifetime price was basically where you donate and get a gift.

Blackray Jack

• Bay Watcher
  • You can run but you can't die.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: July 05, 2012, 10:35:23 am »

A good way to start is to keep randomizing your touchdown point until you're either in or very near the cultural area of the guys who live by the sea. I forget the name of the tribe but they have tons of villages clustered together and they're usually walled off and sport several shops per village. It's a great starting area to get your feet wet and learn the basics of surviving.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: July 05, 2012, 10:42:08 am »

So I'm about to undertake a project starting today or tomorrow and I'd like to ask before I get started.

Does anyone here know anything about certain elements of the user interfaces graphics? As in are the .bmps in the root folder relevant anymore? Is trying to change the armor picture an exercise in futility? Stuff like that.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1139 on: July 05, 2012, 10:52:07 am »

I wish it was free. This game looks alright, but only a madman would spend even $3 on it, let alone $5. And $40 is almost as much as a year-old big-box title. Note that this is a  20-year-old game with cheesy 2D graphics... do the math.

I am NOT implying that all big-name games are good, nor that all old games with bad graphics are bad. But you can't expect anyone sane to spend the same amount of money on both.

Looks aren't everything and big box titles are $60 on up, even after a year in many cases. $3 is the cost of a sandwich and Unreal World is worth more than that. So is DF.

Dwarf Fortress actually is worth more than a sandwich, but Toady has had the good grace of not charging for it.
This isn't quite as good, but the developer expects three dollars just to download the current version. Or five if you want updates, or FORTY is you want all updates.

Yes, all updates forever. No DLC. The way even AAA games used to be made where you didn't pay for any future patches. You're bitching about a $40 game in a sea of $60 games that are more likely $200+ after all the DLC.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 101