Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299441 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1095 on: July 02, 2012, 11:32:15 pm »

*settles down for a nice URW session*
*extracts files... Huh. It's a setup.exe? Check the readme...*

"Unzip the package you've downloaded and run Setup.exe which is included in the package, to
install and activate the software.

You have to install it before the Giveaway offer for the software is over."

>:(

Yeah, that's why I install immediately and play later. Don't screw around. My two primary computers got it in minutes.

NotAQuisling

• Bay Watcher
  • Openly Fey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: July 03, 2012, 01:16:38 am »

Oh, noes D:

That's also why I can't move my Unreal World to my laptop for my flight to Korea. I am disappoint.
It's a freaking 14 hour flight and I also have a 110v plug...
Did you try copy pasting the game files over? It worked when I tested it though I tested it on a computer that I had installed in already but it should work.
Download complete in 15 Days and 7 Hours

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: July 03, 2012, 08:13:53 am »

It's probably just a regular 3 dollar keyfile, that somehow gets downloaded from the giveaway site for a limited time. (instead of some wacky registry/boot sector/hardware-check activation that is so popular these days)

In fact, except for the Windows-compatible executable (which didn't use to exist) URW is basically a DOS game, or at least it started out that way and then got ported, so I think it doesn't even use any registry functions.

I doubt that they made a special unique UnReal World version for that giveaway. Copying to your notebook should work fine.

laclongquan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: July 04, 2012, 01:56:12 pm »

I missed it  :'(

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: July 04, 2012, 02:03:44 pm »

Unreal world uses a very simple method to tell if you registered it. I'm pretty sure it's just a file in the main directory. Just copy that whole thing over to your laptop and it SHOULD work.

I remember the last version had a very obvious file for it. But I can't seem to find it in this one so maybe things have changed.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SLARK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: July 04, 2012, 02:18:01 pm »

So which version do you think is the most worth it. The 3 dollar version is only for the current one that seems pretty silly to me. 8 dollars for a few minor upgrades and 40 for everything in all future. Hmmm....

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: July 04, 2012, 02:42:42 pm »

question is, how much is upgraded?  :P

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #1102 on: July 04, 2012, 02:48:33 pm »

This is so weird...

...Luring driik people into the woods and killing them is more efficient than hunting for some reason.

It may be because I have almost no luck with hunting, but... yeah.

Disturbing.

On the bright side, I now have 4 x 19 bundles of smoked meat for the winter.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1103 on: July 04, 2012, 03:06:23 pm »

So which version do you think is the most worth it. The 3 dollar version is only for the current one that seems pretty silly to me. 8 dollars for a few minor upgrades and 40 for everything in all future. Hmmm....

I bought the lifetime one years ago and never regretted it. I must have come back to the game 20 or 30 times since then, sometimes for a day or two just to see what changed and sometimes for a month if I got into it again. It has changed a lot since I bought it, mostly for the better (I sometimes miss the old caves that you could delve deep into, though). Some of the versions I played years ago of the game still had a monetary system and buying/selling instead of the bartering system now. Since I bought my license it's like a whole new game though - new map generator, improved combat system, improved construction system, improved crafting system, the ability to create mods, improved NPCs and villages. Even the way food works is different.

It states on the page that the major version will go up to 3.15 before going over to another major version, so that's only 1 more minor before the next major one. But the price for it shows $5 right now, so I think it's taking that fact into account. The $3 one gives you a perfectly playable game and any bug fixes for the current minor version, all you'd be missing out on compared to the major is whatever features get added to 3.15.

Have you tried the game yet? I'd say try the demo. If you really love it and expect that you'll come back to it over the years like I have, buy the lifetime one. If you're not so sure about it, grab the $3 one. If you're somewhere in between and want to make sure you get the features that are coming up in 3.15 at a $1 discount, grab the $5 one.

This is so weird...

...Luring driik people into the woods and killing them is more efficient than hunting for some reason.

It may be because I have almost no luck with hunting, but... yeah.

Disturbing.

On the bright side, I now have 4 x 19 bundles of smoked meat for the winter.

The game should probably have a stronger response toward murder and cannibalism. I mean, if every time you're seen around people disappear folks should start getting suspicious and eventually word would get around and villages of that culture should start attacking you.

I for one never kill and eat non-hostile people. I've eaten the Njerpezit warrior guys if I was desperate, but usually I manage to find an alternative. I just don't think your average URW character would be fine with casually murdering and eating villagers, then going into town like nothing happened. Unless you're playing as a sociopath.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: July 04, 2012, 03:16:16 pm »

Are there natural disasters in this game? Do they happen on their own, randomly, Like can I get super snowed in by a blizzard, thunderstorms start a fire, etc?

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: July 04, 2012, 03:36:15 pm »

We used to have disasters in previous versions (Two I remember were thunderstorms causing fires and plagues), but they seem to have been removed.

It's not so much you get snowed in though you can freeze to death with inadequate clothing forcing you to stay next to a fire. Snow also makes you slower and fatigues you rather quickly without proper measures.

Vherid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: July 04, 2012, 03:59:31 pm »

I think I'm gonna go with the 5 dollar version for now and get the next patch before the next major update, if the next major update looks super promising and im enjoying the game a lot ill prob get the full version then. I played the demo a bit, and it's certainly something I could heavily enjoy, I just haven't really dug into it yet. I kinda dicked around mostly lol.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #1107 on: July 04, 2012, 04:05:26 pm »

Yea, I remember forest fires and plagues happening. I guess those were never re-added after he rewrote the map and terrain gen stuff? You can get caught in rain and snowstorms and such though, which encourages you seek shelter (can't sleep without shelter in the rain or snow, and you're going to need a fire to keep warm in the winter). I think being out in the rain a lot can make you sick, although I'm not sure exactly what triggers it (I remember one time in a previous version I was pushing on through the rain in the spring when it was raining for several days straight, to keep felling trees and get my house finished, and my char got really sick and spent a few days eating fish stew and recovering).

You also have njerpezit raids with camps popping up and little groups of them roaming about - not a natural disaster, but it can be a dangerous threat if you aren't prepared. You can generally avoid them while traveling, but if they roam into you while you're sleeping you might be in trouble.

Forest fires were kinda bad in their previous incarnation. I remember seeing huge swathes of land cleared by them on a regular basis, and the game's time scale just doesn't advance fast enough to realistically have them grow back. That might be why they were removed.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: July 04, 2012, 04:06:12 pm »

Ill say that personally, I really do think URW is worth paying to get. It's a bit of a leap of faith and yes, the UI is fuckugly but the game just has this good nice survivally feeling that I really wanted out of DF survival mode way back when I first tried the game.

Ill need to see if I can improve the UI for myself. Because as of now god damn. The non person tiles look decent though.

If I had my own source of income, I'd definitely get the full version. Been wanting to get back to this for a long time but the only thing constantly stopping me is how ugly I find the interface .V
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1109 on: July 04, 2012, 04:10:37 pm »

My only real problem with the game is the lack of stuff to do after you've gotten a stable source of food and a house set up. Yeah there's crafting things and trading with natives, or wandering around killing folks, but the real meat of the gameplay is in the initial struggle to survive right now.

Hopefully that's something that will be addressed down the line though.
*Hugs*
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 101