Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 101

Author Topic: Unreal World  (Read 299444 times)

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
Re: Unreal World
« Reply #1050 on: March 23, 2012, 09:26:42 am »

Hmm what keys to hit to craft an axe? It dosent show up in carpentry :/
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1051 on: March 23, 2012, 10:13:45 am »

It's stone ax under weapons in Shift+m.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #1052 on: March 23, 2012, 08:06:18 pm »

Shops restock every month or so I think, you can also get a fishing rod fairly early on if you do the 'surviving in the wild'  thing.  As well as a handaxe, pike and buff to your tracking skill.
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

maki32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1053 on: March 24, 2012, 08:19:27 am »

I'm enjoying this game! But I have another question...

If you build a house in the middle of the forest, there's any chance a trader came to my house to trade? Or the game only have "stationary" traders(the ones in the shops of the villages)...

There's any chance the "bad guys"(I don't remember the name...) come to raid my house?

Thank you!

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1054 on: March 24, 2012, 08:23:16 am »

yes and yes

none will actively seek and head to your house, but they can stumble upon it, both njerks and foreign traders, and both will fall on your defensive trap pits

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1055 on: March 24, 2012, 11:46:36 am »

yes and yes

none will actively seek and head to your house, but they can stumble upon it, both njerks and foreign traders, and both will fall on your defensive trap pits

One of my guys had about 4 groups of traders bumbling around my cabin for months, constantly stumbling into the pit traps I'd set up. I felt bad for them.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Torham

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1056 on: March 25, 2012, 09:43:31 am »

Yeah, it would have been pretty easy to make a raft. But I was too focused on the travel to think about it. And that was my first character to try swimming a river, so I didn't realize just how dangerous it could be. Ah, well.

This. One of my best characters died like that. I was doing great, first winter behind me, Tons of smoked and dried meat, nice cottage and a smoke house. I settled on a small island in the middle of a lake, so I was safe for most of the year from njerps or wandering bears. So after the long winter I decided to go to the village to sell all my crafts and furs. On my return trip I was happily strolling along, not paying much attention to where I was going and so I walked directly into the middle of a njerp camp. Didn't live long after that third arrow pierced my chest.
I, for one, welcome our new Pony Overlords.

maki32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1057 on: March 26, 2012, 04:32:42 am »

I'm playing very much this game..! I killed a lost woodman... (Now the other villages would try to kill me?) It's worth to build a cellar and put inside the roasted meat? I have a loat of roasted meat from the woodman!

Oh by the way! It's better to put a meat lure in the pit traps? Or the meat doesn't affect to the traps?

Thank you!

jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1058 on: March 26, 2012, 02:03:21 pm »

Well, I have been luring villagers to my house and killing them for their stuff for a while with no apparent comeuppance, they dont even seem to care if you trade them back the meat of someone who used to live with them, so id say its ok.

Cellars are great, they make food last about twice as long (according to the wiki) before they rot, so they are very handy, trading roast meat for dried or smoked meat is also good, 2 dried/smoked meat seems to trade for about 3 roast meat, and they will last for ages if cellared.

I believe only raw meat works as bait, and then only for carnivores like bears and stuff.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1059 on: March 26, 2012, 03:19:20 pm »

Wahaha~ This is great. I survived a deep arrow wound to the neck. It counts as 30% or more in injuries. Got it from a raid in Njer camp. How long will it heal and what armor will protect my neck? How long will it take to recover blood?

jester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1060 on: March 27, 2012, 06:46:40 am »

Eh, not that long, treat it with you physician skill, maybe some bandages, you shouldnt have too many issues, red wounds (the worst ones) take a bit over a month with a bit of doctoring, you can also get treated by wisemen in villages.  I managed to survive something like 80% injuries, I was totally immobile for a few days (take water/food/bandages on raids) but I managed to heal up eventually.  I believe coifs protect your neck.  Blood should only take a week or so to come back.  Lay low and work on your cabin for a while till the wounds start to heal and you should be fine.

Vel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1061 on: March 28, 2012, 10:27:07 pm »

My big issue with UnReal World -- the game is /great/ fun -- was always that skills improve so slowly. Most characters rarely make even the slightest of progress in increasing what their skills are.

This has the combined effect of making it pointless to play anything but those Kaumlowhateverthehecktheyare and one or two other races, because they start with vastly better skills and the difference is insurmountable.

It makes it feel like each character is just a throwaway, and leads me to not really care all that much when they die.

I don't know, it sort of feels too More Roguelike Than A Roguelike to have characters be so throwaway that you don't even care that much when they die unless they're The One Character. :(

Skill increases would make the game easier.. but it'd also give a greater sense of investment in the individual characters and a higher sense of loss when they die.

As it is the only decent way to increase skills is to spam the Beginner Quest over and over, which feels rather gamey and takes me out of the experience (plus, you're just chunk-increasing skills rather than increasing them by doing them, and doing the quest repeatedly gives you free items over and over. It makes it TOO easy to increase your skills to max and you can trade the extra items for stuff. Moar balance plx!)
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 10:30:34 pm by Vel »

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #1062 on: March 28, 2012, 10:30:01 pm »

I don't know...my characters seem to gain skills fairly reasonably. They don't get to godlike levels in the first year or anything, but I do see significant improvement as I do stuff. Especially things I do a lot of, like fishing or survival.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1063 on: March 28, 2012, 11:19:14 pm »

I honestly haven't played this game in a few months, but if I remember correctly, the injury percentage isn't really a measure of how bad the wound is, but more of how much the wound encumbers you in your actions, especially movement. As such, some seemingly minor wounds might have a higher percentage on them than some others which seem worse. As an example, I seem to remember a bruised ankle once giving me more percentage points than a severe facial gash.

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1064 on: March 29, 2012, 03:04:54 am »

My big issue with UnReal World -- the game is /great/ fun -- was always that skills improve so slowly. Most characters rarely make even the slightest of progress in increasing what their skills are.

This has the combined effect of making it pointless to play anything but those Kaumlowhateverthehecktheyare and one or two other races, because they start with vastly better skills and the difference is insurmountable.

It makes it feel like each character is just a throwaway, and leads me to not really care all that much when they die.

I don't know, it sort of feels too More Roguelike Than A Roguelike to have characters be so throwaway that you don't even care that much when they die unless they're The One Character. :(

Skill increases would make the game easier.. but it'd also give a greater sense of investment in the individual characters and a higher sense of loss when they die.

As it is the only decent way to increase skills is to spam the Beginner Quest over and over, which feels rather gamey and takes me out of the experience (plus, you're just chunk-increasing skills rather than increasing them by doing them, and doing the quest repeatedly gives you free items over and over. It makes it TOO easy to increase your skills to max and you can trade the extra items for stuff. Moar balance plx!)

you're doing it wrong. i once brought a character from 0 to 30 percent in swimming, and as soon as arrows become discardable i do 20 shots target practice in the morning. the thing is, in this game you have to practice to skill up, regular use wont cut it. it's also a long term thing, there's a daily experience cap for each skill, so you have to train every day, instead of spending an entire day doing nothing but training
Pages: 1 ... 69 70 [71] 72 73 ... 101