Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40

Author Topic: DeathQuest: Tale of the Remnants  (Read 62952 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
DeathQuest: Tale of the Remnants
« on: November 16, 2008, 02:42:08 pm »

Two years later EDIT - This won't be updated again ever, but I'm sure in the future I'll start a new thread with a new fort sometime.

DEATHQUEST

I ToonyMan love Dwarf Fortress, it's just awesome and on my 6th (serious) fort I'm going to right a story about it.  Called "DeathQuest: Tale of the Survivors".  I am doing this for my own enjoyment and decided to post my writings on the forum.  If you don't like my very simple writing then you don't have to read it!  ;D

I am one for pictures.  Now don't think I don't like books,  why do you think I'm writing this?  I just find it easier in DF to have pictures so you can see the world I am speaking.  There isn't going to be 10 page essays for every post, but nice two three sentences with a picture to go with this.

The backstory is that the Orcs have been conquering the land since the beginning of time and now they came to this mountainhome with the 7 dwarves that start this story.  The Orcs siege the mountainhome and the 7 survivors run off with a trading wagon to escape the Orcs.  They end up however in the middle of three Orc Fortresses...will they survive.....or will they perish?  This is the story of "DeathQuest: Tale of Survivors" from the journal of the expedition leader, Mestthos Thobardes.

NOW IT'S DEATHQUESTV2: TALE OF THE REMNANTS.  YAH!

Page 34 is V2.

TURN LIST:

ToonyMan [first 7 years]
Creamcorn [8th year] [couldn't finish turn due to Christmas Holiday]
ToonyMan [rest of year 8]
(name here) [year 9]
ToonyMan [year 10]
Rysith [year 11]
(name here) [year 12]
ToonyMan [year 13]
ToonyMan [year 14]
ToonyMan [year 15]
ToonyMan [year 16]
ToonyMan [year 17]
-----------------------

V2

ToonyMan [year 1]
(name here) [year 2]
ToonyMan [year 3]
(name here) [year 4]
ToonyMan [year 5]
(name here) [year 6]
ToonyMan [year 7]

MAP

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-5505-deathquest
http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-6314-deathquestv2

====================================================================

27th Slate, 201, Mid-Spring:

We got our wall up, we'll need it for the coming months.  Our woodcutters is going to chop as many trees down as possible before THEY come.  Before THEY kill us.  I've heard that they have come within weeks of a dwarven settlement starting. 

Here's a diagram of the surface area,

The first floor,

And the last floor, the bedroom floor,

Let us hope that we are more lucky.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
14th Hematite, 201, Early-Summer:

No word from THEM yet, which I don't know if it's good or bad.  Our woodcutter stopped cutting wood today for the safety indoors.

Our defense is getting greater, but with the lack of stone to make the mechanisms is very bad.  We have a aquafier in our area...

Here's our surface again,

May those traps save us from THEM.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

12th Limestone, 201, Early-Autumn:

The cavarns arrived!  I'm so happy, I thought it was THEM, but it's not.  To huge wagon came full of stuff, I don't know what's in them, but I'll find out later.

Here's a picture,

I must talk with the Liason now.

21st Limestone, 201, Early-Autumn:

They have a whole bunch of everything!  We only had to cloth bins to trade with though, so we got very little.  I requested they we get alot of stone next year, and they said they wanted goblets, which require stone...

Here's the cavarns with the liason to the right leaving,

I have a feeling were going to be attacked by THEM soon.......

12th Sandstone, 201, Mid-Autumn:

The cavarns left, I'm scared.

27th Sandstone, 201, Mid-Autumn:

THEY'RE HERE!!!  Wait, they're migrants, amazing how such a place can attract so much attention (maybe their home was destroyed?)

8 Migrants

1 Wood Worker (awesome, need one)
1 Fish Cleaner (ehhhh...farmer)
1 Horse Foal (came with the Fish Cleaner)
1 Mechanic (might be useful)
1 Soap Worker (no comment)
2 Peasants (military)
1 Kitten (came with one of the Peasants)
1 Hunter (I'll let him hunt, I don't like him)
1 Potash Maker (A what?)

We might survive after all.

16th Opal, 201, Mid-Winter:

No attacks yet...

We need wood, we have one log left after all these blasted beds and the roof.

I'm sending our now two woodcutters outside.

May they be blessed by Tatlosh Basenvir himself.

2nd Obsidian, 201, Late-Winter:

They were succesful, even with the five wolfs they told me about.

1st Granite, 202, Early-Spring:

We survived a whole year in this horrid place.  Here's our statistics,

Roof,

Surface,

1st floor,

2nd floor,

Were going to siege the elf's stuff unless the ORCS kill us first.

I like Rysith's Orc mod, so I decided to make a story about some survivors, its been boring so far without any Orcs, but they'll come, I KNOW it.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2011, 03:57:29 am by ToonyMan »

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: DeathQuest: Tale of the Survivers
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 05:27:03 pm »

Community fort?

O.K.!

I'll take a woodcutter name him/her,(any gender) Sexygoinsexupyourmother. If that dosn't fit call my dwarf Kenny.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 06:31:02 pm »

This is just a story, but sure I'll add you.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 07:49:54 pm »

14th Granite, 202, Early-Spring:

Muahahahahahahahhahaaa

Time to take all the elf's precious toys.

21st Granite, 202, Early-Spring:

That was easy.

They had mostly cloth, rope, and bows though, that can't stop the Orcs. (If they show up, where are they?)

24th Granite, 202, Early-Spring:

I wouldn't have note this down except that we have been having NO ACTION,

He was ripped apart by dogs shortly afterward.

3rd Felsite, 202, Late-Spring:

Migrants, it feels as if Orcs are a legend now, just an ancient path that was not token.

We got a:

1 Bone Carver (Boooo)
6 Peasant (Military)
1 Wood Crafter (could be useful)
1 Mule (pet to wood crafter)
1 Wood Burner (maybe in later game)
1 Wood Worker (excellent, no axe though!)
2 Childern (first ones)
1 Mechanic (could be useful)
1 Furnace Operator (late game)
1 Fish Cleaner (Booo)
1 Lye Maker (a what!?)
1 Bowyer (useful)
1 Black Smith (haha Will Smith)
1 Crafts Dwarf (good)
1 Gem Setter (blah)
1 Herbislist (farmer)
1 Metal Smith (no joke)
1 Donkey Foal (pet)
1 Farmer (need more barrels now)

Total: 23

Our outpost can now support a Sheriff, that will be for my Wood Cutter who has risked his life for us.

I'm surprised how many people came from our 2 cloth bins, that must not be it, I bet these are the survivors after their (our) Mountain Homes was destroyed by those reched Orcs.  We might be atrracting attention....

17th Felsite, 202, Late-Spring:

I went to get a drink of some rum when I was startled by a COUGAR!  I nearly fell on my ass when I saw it until I realized it was caged, why did nobody tell me?

On a other irrelivant note, most I my people I see are doing nothing, playing in the dirt mostly, I can't do anything about it either, what am I suppose to do?

22nd Felsite, 202, Late-Spring:

I think one of our new migrants went crazy, Bomrek has been drawing the wierdest things in the dirt, she demands all kinds of things we don't have, I think were going to have to kill her.

LATER...........

She took one of our damn rocks!  She begun making some weird thing out of bones and rock, I can only hope it's something useful.

1st Hematite, 202, Early-Summer:

Bomrek is done, its a stupid ring.  All he does is wear it now, atleast he is really good at it, the ring is marvalous, even if it is stupid.

Humans should be coming soon I heard.

21st Hematite, 202, Early-Summer:

Darn Kobold hurt a kitten.

See kobold are cold blooded kitten hurterers.

O come on!  The worst thing to come to me is a mangled cat?!  These Orcs are playing tricks on me!  I see it now, they want me to put my guard down then WHAM! POW! They'll get me when I'm down!  I'm not falling for that *crazy laugh*.

20th Malachite, 202, Mid-Summer:

That's it!  I want stone!  Am I getting stone, I'll tell you my succes or failure later, if I live.

4th Galena, 202, Late-Summer:

I've decided to marry Nil the Miner.  We're not having a celebration for we need to keep a watchful eye.

17th Limestone, 202, Early Autumn:

The liason and cavarns have come again.

I hope they brought rocks.

25th Limestone, 202, Early-Autumn:

4 pieces of rock.  4 PIECES OF ROCK.  They couldn't of just picked them up on the way here!?

Liason wants shields and bucklers.

9th Sandstone, 202, Mid-Autumn:

We're piercing the aquafier and it's pretty damn easy too.

Need that precious stone.  And we're going to get it!

24th Sandstone, 202, Mid-Autumn:

The cavarns have left.

May they tell of our wealth to their friends.  (Not the Orcs)

1st Timber, 202, Late-Autumn:

Success.

27th Timber, 202, Late-Autumn:

We messed up.  We're going to have to start all over again.

11th Moonstone, 202, Early Winter:

Kenny almosy downed trying to put walls in the aquaifer,  some other animal trainer FELL ASLEEP on the job.  I'm ashamed that he lived.

(First log without a picture!)

21st Opal, 202, Mid-Winter:

Kenny has been doing so well as a Pump Operator he is one.

(You don't mind do you?)

13th Obsidian, 202, Late-Winter:

One of our recruits had a baby boy.

His name is Bridgerhyme.

1st Granite, 203, Early-Spring:

Statistics,

The aquafier project is almost done, and no sign of Orcs, a ok year overall.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 08:07:25 pm by ToonyMan »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 09:35:22 pm »

Mechanic/seige engineer.  Job title: Evil Genius

First journal:
Thank Armok we will have stone soon.  Now I should be able to negotiate with any orcs we capture.  I shall offer to let them out with a secret lever and provide information in exchange for status in their community.  And then I shall stab their leader in the back and claim leadership once they have conquered these last dwarves.  I shall not be denied! ah, no cliches!  I must succeed here, any more attempts and I may lose the will that has kept heroes from killing me.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 10:18:42 pm »

Your plans are destined to fail, Orcs can't speak.  ;D

I'm updating in year intervals so I should post like every other day. (maybe)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 10:23:10 pm »

I don't mind the job change.

The reason I have the name Kenny is that I hope to die someday, and make it spectacular, and glorious; hold the fail. ;D
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2008, 05:01:29 pm »

Your plans are destined to fail, Orcs can't speak.  ;D

I'm updating in year intervals so I should post like every other day. (maybe)
Aw, crap.  Well, maybe I know how to communicate with them.  If it involves massive demonstrations of how mechanics can kill lots of things more quickly than any warrior, then that's fine   ;)
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 09:13:26 pm »

Two named dwarves,

14th Granite, 203, Early-Spring:

They're backkkkkkkk.

I've been realizing that my entries have been getting....short.  I will try to detail them to the best of my ability.

4th Slate, 203, Mid-Spring:

We did it.

LegoLord has been waiting patiently for a long time, I wonder what he wants to do with the rock, I want a door for my bedroom, so does everybody else no doubt!

The elfs left in a hurry after we took all their belongings, I feeling more relax now.  I spend most of my days counting stocks and laying on my bed, with my three cats.  I can't wait to have a door, I hate seeing my neighbor.

21st Slate, 203, Mid-Spring:

We're building a longer hall for traps to defend against the uhh....Orcs I think.  Been a while.

I bet LegoLord will be happy.

I think I'm pregnant, I've been having the weirdest cravings, and really bad mourning sickness.

3rd Felsite, 203, Late-Spring:

I'm a mother now.  I don't know what to say.  Her name is Tholtig.

[OOC] I had no clue she was actually pregnant, total guess.

9th Felsite, 203, Late-Spring:

More people, their stories are so sad.

We got:

1 Animal Trainer
1 Soap Maker
7 Peasants
2 Gem Cutters
1 Leather Worker (1 pet puppy)
2 Animal Disectors
2 Bowyers
1 Fisher Dwarf (1 pet cow, I'll let him fish, we need more labor, threat is little anywho)
2 Jewelers
1 Miner (best migrant by far)
1 Bone Carver
1 Butcher

Total: 22

While they were coming in one of our Fish Cleaner went bonker and hunkered down in a workshop making something.

Our little (use to be little) outpost is now big enough that I'm the Mayor, this is getting out of hand, we are suppose to be hiding from the Orcs, not drawing their attentions!

14th Felsite, 203, Late-Spring:

That fish cleaner made an armor stand, it's nice!

It is a little crowded in here.

7th Hematite, 203, Early-Summer:

I want clear glass for some strange reason, although there is no sand.  Ummmmmmmmmmmmmm.

In other news, I think all the Humans have died, human cavarns have not come once these summers.

9th Malachite, 203, Mid-Summer:

Kenny changed jobs again,

What will the next one be?

In other news, noooothhinnggg has been happening, I spend most of my time partying, may as well? Right?

9th Limestone, 203, Early-Autumn:

Orcs have been spotted east of our fortress!!

None of us are prepared, I must stop writing to go see!!

[OOC]  Finally, I'm going to like this.

There's 10 Orc Lashers, 5 Orc Wrestler, and 1 Spearorc (the leader)

Fisher Dwarf: "Oh S**t, run!!"

15th Limestone, 203, Early-Autumn:

It's over, a few of our war dogs have broken limbs, but overall we did ok, we killed them all except for 3 that escaped.

Note to self, have marksdwarves bring bolts!

When the orcs finally left, the dwarven cavarn came!

@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@      ooooooooooo

19th Sandstone, 203, Mid-Autumn:

The dwarves left, we may be attacked in the winter......I feel it in my bones.

25th Sandstone, 203, Mid-Autumn:

For punishment for not fufilling my mandate of clear glass, I have sentenced my Husband to jail.

[OOC]  How retarded is that?

« Last Edit: November 17, 2008, 09:26:39 pm by ToonyMan »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 09:37:21 pm »

You are a horrible spouse, but a good politician.  Like Bill Clinton!
Just so I remember

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 09:43:02 pm »

You're not suppose to get glass mandates without sand, right?

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 09:44:44 pm »

You're not suppose to get glass mandates without sand, right?
No, you can get mandates for stuff you can't make.  It's one of those things that makes people hate nobles.
Just so I remember

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2008, 09:49:41 pm »

My Mayor is the narrator, so she can't die.  ;)

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2008, 10:14:51 pm »

I always thought that the game was made that way, and Toady did indeed intend to make you plot to make drowning chambers and magma rooms JUST to get rid of the Nobles.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2008, 05:26:35 pm »

27th Sandstone, 203, Mid-Autumn:

The beating wasn't that bad.

Hopefully I will think better, must of been one of those spouse killing moments people get.

28th Sandstone, 203, Mid-Autumn:

Migrants.

2 Furnace Operators
1 Milker
1 Cook
1 Woodcrafter
1 Peasant
1 Carpenter (1 pet dog)

Total: 7

One of our smallest groups, which is good.

Too bad only the carpenter can help us.

7th Timber, 203, Late-Autumn:

We have moved all the orc bones inside for the safty of our bone carvers.

Talk to you more later.

23rd Moonstone, 203, Early-Winter:

I'm making myself some nice rooms.

The Captain of the Guard is going to be happy too, I hate soil rooms.

I guess there was an injury in the Orc battle.

Hope she feels better, she had a miscarrige.

9th Obsidian, 203, Late-Winter:

I had a boy.

I want another.

In other news, one of our marksdwarf's ribs were broken, I don't know how, could of been one of us.

1st Granite, 204, Early-Spring:

Spring is here!

Here's our stats,

This year was interesting and now it is our 3rd year!

We have 8 goblin snatchers caged, what to do with them....

This year can only be worse.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 40