Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 35

Author Topic: Battle of the Gods IV  (Read 70234 times)

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
Re: Battle of the Gods IV
« Reply #30 on: November 17, 2008, 09:56:19 pm »

Hopefully Krechin won't step on him :D

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 17, 2008, 11:17:14 pm »

Game Type: Adventurer
Name: Kcirph
Species: Meadow jumping mouse
Armok the god of blood,is manifesting himself as a mouse in a forum game...
How humbling.
Tha's de point. Otha point issa mousie cute!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Devath

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Insane Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 17, 2008, 11:45:18 pm »

Or ish it? Oooooohhh...
"Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup." - Unknown

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 18, 2008, 01:29:06 am »

I am sure this mouse would eb safe with me.
I am the only one guaranteed not to kill you, and one of the few who would even consider teaching anything to a mouse.
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Poltifar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 18, 2008, 01:59:56 am »

Akroma, why would you be the only one guaranteed not to kill him and to teach him stuff?? I won't kill him either, and also teach him magic much stronger than yours :D

Welcome aboard Armok, glad to have you back! Although last time we were about to rule the world with soul supercomputing titanium golems, now we're just a humble sage and a mouse... But I'm sure we'll have our shot at glory yet!

Oh, but about the IRC... Please, remember what happened in BotGII. You got angry at me because I couldn't show up in IRC most of the time, and that was BEFORE school started. So now, don't expect me to be able to appear much on IRC. I'm sure we'll manage withought discussing too much, since we are not leading nations that need alot of planning or something...
<@Poltifar> yeah i've played life for almost 23 years
<@Poltifar> i specced myself into a corner, i should just reroll
<@Akroma> eh
<@Akroma> just play the minigames until your subscription runs out

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 18, 2008, 03:59:03 am »

Looks like we have plenty of players. First turn will be announced today, 21:00 (GMT+1). It will still be possible to join after that.

Rules for movement speeds apply to adventurers too (I wouldn't want them to teleport from one side of the map to the other, would you ?).
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:31:44 am by Istrian »

Nhiphanter

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2008, 08:07:32 am »

The Storm Giants are here again! Fear them!

The God: Ukko, Storm god
Spheres: Weather 3, Destruction 3, Lightning 2.

Race: storm giants
Civ: The Peak of storms

The God, Ukko.

Ukko most often takes the form of an old, muscular, weather worn and scarred man. His face is adorned by a long, unkept graybeard. He is dressed in an old smelling wolf rug, a gigantic wolf rug.

Homever, sometimes Ukko can take the form that he calls his "true form". A towering man, made of noflesh but pure energy and flame, shadowing over any other being.

Ukko sees the storm giants more or less as his very own sons, and is more or less very attached to them, particularly his champion, Hrafn. He rarely shows his fatherly pride homever. This doesnt mean he hesitates to send them on raids against other civilizations.

Morphology

The storm giants are in many ways like giant dwarves, although a bit more slender on the stomach but still quite stocky. It is amongst them customary to value every bit of hair their body grows, and often there is storm giants with huge knee length beards where the skulls of their enemies clang in their morbid tones.
The size of a giant ranges from 8 to 11.5 meters high. They are also incredibly strong creatures, capable of working as live siege engines. They will just collect a large pile of man sized rocks and start throwing. Not as one might think, the giants are too quite agile creatures, though against smaller foes their size negates any chance of dodging.

Culture and society

The storm giants are a highly warlike race, but tend to lean more towards barbarism than organized militarism. They rarely engage in all out conquering wars as they prefer to raid the land and then leave it alone for awhile. Like harvesting a field.

On homelife they are very communal. The giants live in villages, sometimes in cities, often nestled on cliffs, and it is by far not unusual for every giant to know each other. The family and town head is always male, since the giant society is heavily patriarchal, where the only known goverment system is despotism. The rule of the strongest.

Architechture is very norse styled, where giants live in large longhouses. The temple to the storm god is also always the center of the town, and also serves as the town center, gathering place and even as a bar. The cities are often an unplanned huddle, where streets criss cross between the buildings.

Religion plays a heavy role in storm giant society, very much because Ukko likes to make frequent appearances, and is know to live with the mortals for very long times. He is respected, he is feared and the priesthood enjoys being a caste above all laws (as few as they are).
The word of the god, in other words that of the priests, is often the law in smaller villages.
Disputes are settled in duels overwathed by the priests, because the word of the storm god dictates that duel is to death, and as such most giants prefer to keep good relations with others.
In many cases the priesthood acts as the leaders of towns, because the benefits of their station also bestows them good places to take control.
Due to the exclusive station homever, those worthy of priesthood are few and the ranks are small.

Ways of War

The common giant tactic is the well known and respected "Scream and charge".
Almost always the giants use things like warpaints, grisly trophies and other terror tactics to sow fear amongst the enemy. It is customary to tie the skulls of every enemy youve killed into your hair or beard, providing additional luck armor and also looking quite grisly.
The most common weapon used among the giants is a warhammer, or a sword. Axes are used sometimes, but not often.
Armor is a chainmail and helmet, and somesort of chainmail pants.
It is also common to see giants, when in more strategic mind, to use large steel towershields, and approach as a wall of steel and weapons. Those backer in line will lift their shields as a "roof" to protect them from arrows.

The most respected division of any giant military force is the "battlefield terrors".
A squad of giants clad in full plate mail, a steel mask shaped and painted into demonic faces and a huge two-handed sword. These giants are the absolute elites, a rare bunch most often serving as bodyguard units.

Then there is the ranged squad. One of the inventions giants have made, is the ballista. Though not in the way most would use it. The giants refer to it as a handheld ranged weapon, launching barrages of steel ballista bolts in a single reload. Usually these weapons are only usable 2-3 times in a battle, due to the difficulty of carrying the ammo. That is, ammo is bundles of bolts, shot all at once.

The Skalds are a more special kind of soldiers, for they are bards in battlefield. They often dualwield two weapons, charging at the first lines, singing dirges of death as they fight. This has a moral boosting effect on the giants.
But the most powerful ability of these particulars is their skill to raise such battle spirit that they can send nearby giants into a berserker rage!

Technology

The level of knowledge in storm giant society is somewhere along the dark ages, with the occasional medieval type invention, like the handheld ballistas and knowledge on castle building. Technological minds are few, since such inviduals are often scorned for being "weak" and "foolish". The ability to read is seen as a trait for those who have spent far too much time inside with books and far too less time spent outside honing the skills and instincts required for traditional giant warfare.
Homever, if something useful is found and even most traditional ones see its potential, it is often taken in open arms.

Magic&The divine.

There is no magic in storm giant society if you dont count the innate skills of the giants to harness lightning and use it against their enemies. The other one being that often large bodies of giant troops are followed by strong storms.
The priesthood has sway over the weather effects and lightning in greater terms than an ordinary giant, and as such are often employed as war clerics, running in first lines hurling bolts of lightning at the enemy or staying in backlines controlling the weather in the giants favour. Causing a fire due lightning strike is also one of the more ordinary moves.

Arrival

By Ukko's will, they have been transported into this world, after the last one was decimated in a war against all others. A strange situation the giants just seem to drift in.

Hero

Hrafn, the lord of storms.
Hrafn is an expectionally large storm giant, over 14 meters tall, armed with his considerable cunning, deadly strength and the powers of storm gods champion.
He is by now, some 450 years old, and there is beginning to appear a few white strains in his black beard.

Hrafns crest in his shield and banners is a black, glowing red eyed, raven in a dark blue back.

In BotG II, Hrafn received two gifts from the storm god: A huge warhammer, made of unknown, black metal. This warhammer, a fearsome weapon, had the ability knock back Hrafns enemies with a mere swing, no touch was required (like saurons mace). If it came to hit someone, it would release a shockwave of lightning, incapacitating or killing the target. If not dead by the mere hit.

The other gift was a huge black wolf, larger than Hrafn, and now used as his steed. The wolf is the rugs Ukko wears, reanimated.

populations and growthrate.

growth: 8%

mountain:80/3 (favored/favored)
hill:80/3 (favored/favored)
plain:32/3 (normal/favored)
desert:8/1 (unfavored/unfavored)
forest:32/1 (normal/unfavored)
rainforest:8/1 (unfavored/unfavored)
river:+100/3 (xxx/favored)
water:8/1(unfavored/unfavored)
glacier:8/2 (unfavored/normal)
swamp:8/1 (unfavored/unfavored)
tundra:32/2 (normal/normal)

they start at 21. 5. with 80 pop.
   --------------------------------
00|⌂▲▲▲⌂●●●●●█████●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
  |≈▲^▲⌂⌂⌂●●●●●●●●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
  |⌂▲▲▲⌂⌂≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♣♣.♣♣.....≈≈≈≈
  |⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂.≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.♣♣.♣⌂⌂⌂.....≈≈
  |≈.≈..≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.♣♣♣♣⌂⌂^⌂⌂.....≈
05|≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈..♣♣♣Ç⌂▲▲⌂⌂...┌≈
  |≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈──────○▲▲⌂⌂..┌┘≈
  |≈≈≈≈...≈≈≈.≈≈≈≈≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂.┌┘.≈
  |≈≈┐..⌂⌂⌂≈|..≈≈≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲○───┘...
  |♣.|.⌂⌂▲⌂♣|...≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲⌂⌂.....♣
10|♣♣|⌂⌂▲⌂⌂♣|...≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲^▲⌂⌂....♣♣
  |♣♣○⌂▲○───┘...≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲⌂⌂..♣♣♣♣
  |♣♣⌂▲⌂⌂♣♣.....≈..♣♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂...♣♣♣
  |.⌂⌂▲⌂.♣.....≈≈≈┐.Y♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂...♣♣
  |⌂⌂▲⌂⌂♣♣♣♣..≈≈≈≈└─────○▲▲⌂⌂...♣♣♣
15|⌂▲▲▲⌂♣♣♣♣♣≈≈≈≈.......⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂...♣♣
  |⌂▲^▲⌂♣♣♣♣♣≈≈≈≈≈.......⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂.┌──
  |⌂▲▲▲⌂♣♣♣♣≈≈≈≈≈≈......⌂⌂^▲⌂○──┘..
  |≈⌂▲▲⌂♣♣♣⌠┌≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.....⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂....
  |≈⌂▲⌂⌂♣♣⌠⌠|⌠≈≈≈≈≈⌠⌠⌠┌──○▲▲⌂⌂♣♣♣♣♣
20|⌂⌂▲⌂⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠|⌠≈≈≈⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠|⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂⌂.♣♣♣♣
  |▲▲○─┐┌─┐⌠|⌠└─┬─────┘⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂..♣♣♣♣
  |⌂⌂⌂~└┘~└─┘~~.|⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂.....♣♣
  |~~~~~~~~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈⌠⌠⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂...~..
  |~~~~~~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌠┌─○▲▲⌂⌂.~~.~
25|~~~~~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈─┬┘⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂~~~~~
  |~~~~~~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♠♠|⌂⌂▲▲▲○⌂~~~~~
  |~~~~┌──≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♠|⌂⌂▲^▲⌂⌂~~~~~
  |~~~~|~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♠|⌂⌂▲▲▲⌂⌂♠~♠~~
  |⌂⌂⌂~|~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♠└──○▲▲⌂⌂≈≈≈≈≈
30|○───┘~~~~~~~♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂≈≈≈≈
« Last Edit: November 26, 2008, 07:49:24 am by Nhiphanter »

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 18, 2008, 11:42:09 am »

@Armok : don't forget to post your speeds. Also, Poltifar's position is 30,8 not 8,30  ;)
@Nhiphanter : don't forget to change your speeds and popcaps
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 11:45:51 am by Istrian »

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2008, 01:56:15 pm »

sigh, just as I am changing my race to try a new playstyle, everyone seems to pick up a war-only race

oh well, that doesn't mean I will be killed off too soon, I mean, there is still divine intervention to save races in emergencies
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 18, 2008, 03:18:50 pm »

A new day dawns upon an old world. Many races and civilization have gone through during ages now forgotten. Deities and their followers have waged countless wars, wars that ended long ago, or perhaps not that long. And once again, a small part of the northern hemisphere of the ancient world is going to become the Battlefield of the Gods.

The Zarzin driven by their thirst for blood and conquest have entered the land from the western mountain ranges. Seeking resources and sowing destruction they settled upon the highest peak they could find, deciding to make it their base for conquest.

For one hundred years the Hitengu have hidden from a powerful enemy most of them remember vividly. Now, hoping that their enemy is gone from the lands, they move again, ready to rebuild their great nation with sweat or blood, or perhaps both.

The Flamewood Elves stir as well, driven by an unknown force of motivations unknown. Their great underground city surrounding a lake, their ancestral home for countless generations prepares for yet a new day.

Finally, the Orcs who, after quelling all internal discention finally turn their eyes to outside their mountains. New lands open up to their minds, new lands with new races to conquer and dominate. New slaves to be captured and new riches to be looted.

High above the skies floats an ancient palace of marble, silver and gold. No one can surely say how large or small the place is, but those who know of it say it is large enough for an infinity of gods and goddesses with their hosts of angels and demons to reside inside. And yet it is small enough that no mortal who watched the skies has ever seen it.

Inside the floating palace, in a huge room resembling an amphitheatre, the Gaming Hall as some call it, many gods are assembled. In the middle of the hall a cloaked and hooded figure stands, his skin covered by the heavy clothes he wears. The Watcher, they call him, as he is the one who watches over this world, never intervening, except when the Apocalypse -yet another, as this world has seen many- approaches. He adresses the assembly of gods with an ageless voice.

“Hail to you Immortal friends. I welcome you to the games we are now holding to decide the future of the tiny region, you now see below your feet.” At these words the floor vanishes to give place to an aerial view of the land. “Some of you are still reticent at letting your followers move into this region. Others,” said The Watcher motioning at a group led by Ukko, who yet had to adapt to the rules set by  The Watcher in this new world, “have come from far away worlds to participate in the event. And so, let us begin... the Battle of the Gods.”

Turn 1
Year 1, First Month of Spring

The Map

0    0    1    1    2     2    3
   0    5    0    5    0     5    0
   --------------------------------
00|⌂▲▲▲⌂●●●●●█████●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
  |≈▲^▲⌂⌂⌂●●●●●●●●≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈
  |⌂▲▲▲⌂⌂≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♣♣.♣♣.....≈≈≈≈
  |⌂⌂⌂⌂⌂.≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.♣♣.♣⌂⌂⌂.....≈≈
  |≈.≈..≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.♣♣♣♣⌂⌂^⌂⌂.....≈
05|≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈..♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂...┌≈
  |≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈──────○▲▲⌂⌂..┌┘≈
  |≈≈≈≈...≈≈≈.≈≈≈≈≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂.┌┘.≈
  |≈≈┐..⌂⌂⌂≈|..≈≈≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲○───┘...
  |♣.|.⌂⌂▲⌂♣|...≈...♣♣E⌂▲▲▲⌂⌂.....♣
10|♣♣|⌂⌂▲⌂⌂♣|...≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲^▲⌂⌂....♣♣
  |♣♣○⌂▲○───┘...≈...♣♣⌂⌂▲▲▲⌂⌂..♣♣♣♣
  |♣♣⌂▲⌂⌂♣♣.....≈..♣♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂...♣♣♣
  |.⌂⌂▲⌂.♣.....≈≈≈┐.Y♣♣♣⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂...♣♣
  |⌂⌂▲⌂⌂♣♣♣♣..≈≈≈≈└─────○▲▲⌂⌂...♣♣♣
15|⌂▲▲▲⌂♣♣♣♣♣≈≈≈≈.......⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂...♣♣
  |⌂▲X▲⌂♣♣♣♣♣≈≈≈≈≈.......⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂.┌──
  |⌂▲▲▲⌂♣♣♣♣≈≈≈≈≈≈......⌂⌂^▲⌂○──┘..
  |≈⌂▲▲⌂♣♣♣⌠┌≈≈≈≈≈≈≈.....⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂....
  |≈⌂▲⌂⌂♣♣⌠⌠|⌠≈≈≈≈≈⌠⌠⌠┌──○▲▲⌂⌂♣♣♣♣♣
20|⌂⌂▲⌂⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠|⌠≈≈≈⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠|⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂⌂.♣♣♣♣
  |▲▲○─┐┌─┐⌠|⌠└─┬─────┘⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂..♣♣♣♣
  |⌂⌂⌂~└┘~└─┘~~.|⌠⌠⌠⌠⌠⌂⌂▲▲⌂O.....♣♣
  |~~~~~~~~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈⌠⌠⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂...~..
  |~~~~~~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈⌠┌─○▲▲⌂⌂.~~.~
25|~~~~~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈─┬┘⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂~~~~~
  |~~~~~~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♠♠|⌂⌂▲▲▲○⌂~~~~~
  |~~~~┌──≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♠|⌂⌂▲^▲⌂⌂~~~~~
  |~~~~|~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♠|⌂⌂▲▲▲⌂⌂♠~♠~~
  |⌂⌂⌂~|~~~~~≈≈≈≈≈≈≈≈♠└──○▲▲⌂⌂≈≈≈≈≈
30|○───┘~~~~~~~♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠♠⌂⌂▲▲⌂⌂≈≈≈≈

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 18, 2008, 04:14:44 pm »

Turn 1 - Warlord Gaz's Empire

Spoiler: The Black Tower (click to show/hide)

Groups:
Spoiler: explorers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)

Cities:
Spoiler: Capital - Black Tower (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Pop and movement (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2008, 12:29:40 pm by Kashyyk »

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 18, 2008, 06:20:20 pm »

Well, here it is!

Special rules for my race:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
NEW RULE FOR MY RACE
« Last Edit: January 12, 2009, 06:28:26 pm by Emperor_Jonathan »

Istrian

• Bay Watcher
  • Malevolent Manager
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 18, 2008, 06:50:39 pm »

((Emperor_Joanthan : You can choose another favored biome for movement, or drop an unfavored one. You can also round up all those 34.5. 35 is a nice and round number. Other than that, just to make sure you understand your special popcap rule : your city's popcap is determined by the tiles you went through during any given turn, NOT the 8 tiles surrounding your destination tile. So, if you don't move during a turn, you get support only from the tile you are on. And now, you are good to go.))

And so, nomadic horsemen from the eastern lands entered the Battlefield. What will they find during their journeys in lands unknown ? Only time will tell.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 18, 2008, 08:53:42 pm »

((Ah, ok, thanks! I edited with that info, btw I'll be expanding the weaponry in the future. Also; I'll take Istrians description, we came from the east! EDIT: OH! Also, for sake of ease each group of people that live in their tents (ten) always travel together, so if I say '5 tents go north!' that means fifty will travel north.))

The Monoglains.
The Map - Before.
-------------------
----------
Decisions.
----------
-------
Splits.
-------

The Map - After.
-----------------

The cities.
-----------

((If my Popcaps are off, please correct it. :) EDIT: Btw, each chiefdom is a different 'kingdom' or 'faction'.))
« Last Edit: November 20, 2008, 03:36:33 am by Emperor_Jonathan »

krumlink

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Apathy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 18, 2008, 09:29:22 pm »

reserved 3rd turn
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 35