Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Language Generation.  (Read 1188 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
New Language Generation.
« on: November 16, 2008, 03:15:42 am »

How is it done?

Having compared the language files for the existing races, it seems there are zero overlaps. There must be some kind of algorithm used.

Any way we can get our hands on it, you think, or am I doomed to making a new one myself?
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Language Generation.
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 09:25:19 pm »

Advise: Search the suggestions forum for talk about languages. There were some interesting things there a few months ago. (A tangential suggestion, but the best I can muster.)

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 10:24:56 pm »

I haven't found any scripts or whatnot to auto-generate languages, but I suppose with a language in a text file I could whip up something in C to do so..

In any case, when I was making my Rome Fortress mod I just made the new language entirely by hand, which is understandably a lot of work for someone just making a language from scratch. It took me about 3 days to finish (since I also had to translate from english-latin myself).

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2008, 12:34:09 am »

I haven't found any scripts or whatnot to auto-generate languages, but I suppose with a language in a text file I could whip up something in C to do so..

In any case, when I was making my Rome Fortress mod I just made the new language entirely by hand, which is understandably a lot of work for someone just making a language from scratch. It took me about 3 days to finish (since I also had to translate from english-latin myself).

Well, it's one thing to translate to a known language, but generating a new one is a lot harder.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Captain Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • A Special Kind of Terrible
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2008, 02:51:53 am »

There's a ruby perl based program on DFFD that can do this.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=463
Why not join us on IRC? irc.newnet.net #bay12games

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2009, 10:38:13 am »

Well, it's one thing to translate to a known language, but generating a new one is a lot harder.

Actually, even without scripts, you can just letter-shift one of the preexisting languages, or someone elses pre-made language to get your own, and changing the name spheres of your race will give a different enough selection that the names might not be recognizable as derivative anyway. I'd say using an existing language is probably actually harder, because even if you script you have to enter a list of words by hand somewhere.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Gorobay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2009, 04:29:56 pm »

Actually, even without scripts, you can just letter-shift one of the preexisting languages, or someone elses pre-made language to get your own, and changing the name spheres of your race will give a different enough selection that the names might not be recognizable as derivative anyway. I'd say using an existing language is probably actually harder, because even if you script you have to enter a list of words by hand somewhere.
Letter-shifting a language can work if you are careful, but it is repetitive and can get boring, since it can only change so much.

If you want a new language based on a pre-existing wordlist, like one of the language raws, you can use a Perl script I wrote: Sound Changer. Given a wordlist and a list of rules to apply, it outputs a new wordlist.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2009, 03:33:48 pm »

Toady mentions how he did it in one of the podcasts before the regular podcasts started. The one where he mentions the randomly generated boardgames. It was a long interview though. Anyone remember which it was?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2009, 03:56:06 pm »

I remember that, but not sure which one it was either.

Amusingly, I also made a language generator for DF in perl. Suitable tool for job, I guess. The link is in my sig if anyone wants to take a look at it.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2009, 05:41:37 pm »

I just grab two-letters syllables, most common, e.g dwarven language and turn them into another.

Voila, 30 minutes of work and you have mostly new and exotic language. Of course, it's need a bit of polishing, but nothing wrong with just some overlaps. Real world languages also overlap, or are very similar to themselves.

Meph: I used your generator but I was unhappy with results, seems that contolled randomization of words don't work for me xD But great job with the generator anyway.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.