Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Worldgen parameter to allow completely vertical cliffs, like the days of old.  (Read 2975 times)

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

Need I say more?
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile

Already been suggested several times before, and I know at least once before by me.

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why? In nature, cliffs are almost always caused by wind or water erosion, not by the natural layout of rock layers. Plus, I don't want to go and try to navigate throgh an impossible maze of cliffs with my adventurers who try to look through some mountain crags.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Why? In nature, cliffs are almost always caused by wind or water erosion, not by the natural layout of rock layers.

So? Regardless of how, the fact is, they exist.

Plus, I don't want to go and try to navigate throgh an impossible maze of cliffs with my adventurers who try to look through some mountain crags.

So don't use it. Other people want their cliffside fortresses.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To my knowledge Toady is waiting until he has climbing programmed in before he does this.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

To my knowledge Toady is waiting until he has climbing programmed in before he does this.

Why not go ahead and program it as an option - I mean, he's got _flying_ programmed in right now.

Fieari

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Because cliffs break roads as they currently exist, and the roads are REQUIRED for the army arc he's working towards.  Adding this back in would negate the purpose of taking them out, which was to be able to work in the direction of getting armies.  Yes, it won't be any time soon that we actually GET the armies, but without cliffs, we'll get them someday.  With them coded, we won't.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile

I'm considering downloading an old version to gen a few worlds.

Cavalcadeofcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure there's already a parameter. Yeah.

Code: [Select]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1] (from world_gen.txt)

Set that to 0, and you're good. (You can do this in-game as well.)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

It would be nice if there was an option that aggressively eroded cliffs in a few spots and left them intact in others -- just enough for the roads to get up into the mountains.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile

I'm pretty sure there's already a parameter. Yeah.

Code: [Select]
   [PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1] (from world_gen.txt)

Set that to 0, and you're good. (You can do this in-game as well.)

I noticed that. It doesn't work. Well, technically, it DOES work, but it does some other thing.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

It would be nice if there was an option that aggressively eroded cliffs in a few spots and left them intact in others -- just enough for the roads to get up into the mountains.

I think that's the eventual plan...

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

i don't know about completely flat, but turning down the erosion creates much more vertical/ craggy cliffs.

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)

If a cliff breaks a road then make a bridge. It's not that hard to code.
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

If a cliff breaks a road then make a bridge. It's not that hard to code.

It would be pretty bizarre to have gigantic stone bridges soaring everywhere.  Historically, even building bridges over rivers has been a difficult task. 
Pages: [1] 2