Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Whaling, fishing, and other general uses of harpoons, and grappling hooks...  (Read 1951 times)

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile

As it said in the topic name, what is the use of fishes in the streams, and lakes, other than target practice, fear inducers, and general difficulty in collecting.

So I decided to ask for harpoons, all we need is linear-ish rope physics, shooting large projectiles over z ( for the large catches ) , also the reeling in part.

You can use the whales, mermaids, carps, and many other living things including the goblins you want to use for economic products.

So that mermaid hunter, who made a thread about that one merfolk, gets his kill.
You the ocean trekkers can use the practically useless ocean, for survival.
The ones asking for boats, get whalers.

Exporting delicacies for the retarded buyers, so you can get that valuable object you've been selling out your dwarves' clothing for.

And general entertainment uses.

Then there is the issue of rope climbers, supplies to make a 100 square long rope, and damage issues, not to mention commands like non-lethal harpooning ( to get Urist McFuck'Nuts from getting killed by walking into the walkway of the goblin horde. ) .

Don't forget, animal cruelty in Dwarf Fortress is never enough.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2008, 02:05:13 am by Foa »

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Re: Whaling, and general fishing with harpoons involved.
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 11:01:12 pm »

As a matter of pure necessity, the recovery of waterborne creature corpses is currently nigh-impossible without massive aquatic engineering feats. As such, I would support this fully for that reason.

Boats are a bit far-off, of course.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 11:09:03 pm »

We're whalers on the moon!
We've got a big harpoon!
But there ain't no whales
So we tell tall tales
And sing our whaling tune!

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Whaling, and generally caputuring things with harpoons.
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 12:11:20 am »

I love you guys, you know that this suggestion make active fish entities more useful than they currently are

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 01:19:02 am »

"Linear-ish rope physics" are really fucking hard.  It's bad enough when the rope "corners" are fixed (i.e. buildings), but when you have a free rope, forget it.  That part pushes your suggestion close to impossibility.

You're correct that big fish are pretty useless in gameplay, and harpooning would be cool.  How about spear-fishing/net-fishing big fish from riverbanks or ocean platforms?

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 01:44:13 am »

"Linear-ish rope physics" are really fucking hard.  It's bad enough when the rope "corners" are fixed (i.e. buildings), but when you have a free rope, forget it.  That part pushes your suggestion close to impossibility.

You're correct that big fish are pretty useless in gameplay, and harpooning would be cool.  How about spear-fishing/net-fishing big fish from riverbanks or ocean platforms?
From what I see, people can make a game with non-laggy advanced rope physics, really easily.

So what's the dillio.

And here is a picture:

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 01:49:38 am »

From what I see, people can make a game with non-laggy advanced rope physics, really easily.

So what's the dillio.

And here is a picture:

That game, however, doesn't have 1,000 other things to handle at the same time.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 01:53:01 am »

So what's the dillio.

And here is a picture:

In a 2D non-tile-based game, yeah.  That eliminates a lot of complications, like ropes sideslipping on edges, or rope length fluctuating due to approximating diagonal distance between rope nodes.  DF doesn't even have a general notion of forces acting on game world objects -- it would be a massive change.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 08:05:21 am »

It's not like it has to be a real rope. Look at the ones we have

Alternatively fix swimming so dwarves that can swim actually path through water (when allowed in the orders menu maybe, you know they'd try to cross the cave river and slip into the chasm every 2 seconds)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 08:14:31 am »

The harpoon thing could work just like bolts and arrows.  It would just have a defined stopping point, the harpoon would leave a brown after image, and the harpoon could be pull back.  Obviously, the "afterimage" would really be the rope, and you'd be able to interact with it, but it would be linked to the other "afterimages"
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Foa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 03:49:39 pm »

Here's a point, why do you support [TONGUE:#], it uses rope physics.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 04:12:37 pm »

Here's a point, why do you support [TONGUE:#], it uses rope physics.

1. Who are you talking to?
2. Presumably those tongues would instantly retract if they tried to go around a corner.  If that's what you had in mind, then that makes things a lot simpler.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 04:16:28 pm »

Whaling...hmm...perhaps ballistas will be useful at one point?  :D

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 04:18:00 pm »

Why not make it so that some weapons are defined as "melee with range" so in addition to harpoons and tongues, we also have Kusari-gamas and pikes and other fun weapons?

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2008, 04:14:39 am »

Isn't this rope issue somehow already coded with a chain (rope) with an animal attached to it? There is a "room" that the creature can't lave that basically symbolizes the range of the rope. Just basically give it some room shape and have the creature be not able to leave this "room" while it's attached to the rope. As simple as that without too much calculation of anything.
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.
Pages: [1] 2