Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clothing Donning Criteria  (Read 1899 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Clothing Donning Criteria
« on: November 15, 2008, 09:26:41 pm »

What conditions do I need to fulfill in order to get my dwarves to wear new clothing? Their old stuff is getting ratty as hell.

Methods to destroy/remove clothing are also welcome. Forbidding clothing and swapping armor around doesn't seem to work very well.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Dhargk

• Bay Watcher
  • Free hugs
    • View Profile
Re: Clothing Donning Criteria
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2008, 03:38:43 am »

Tell them to dump the worn clothing.

Refuse hauling dwarves will go rip the clothes off of them and throw them into the nearest dump zone.

Then the dwarves will try to hide their shame and go get clothes.

Not entirely sure that would work, but in theory, that should be all there is to it.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2008, 03:46:59 am »

Having tried it many times, this does not work.

Would modding them up to flame-bursting temperature, burning the clothes off, and then resetting the temperature work?...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2008, 04:02:03 am »

The clothes will rot right off their body eventually.  Don't know whether they're smart enough to pick up new ones at that point.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 05:09:19 am »

The clothes will rot right off their body eventually.  Don't know whether they're smart enough to pick up new ones at that point.

"Eventually" is quite dissapointing. :(

C'est la guerre, I suppose. Oh well, back to modding in corpse-related smelter reactions...

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 07:44:35 am »

My dwarves are pretty eager to replace tattered clothes and leave their old ones in the stockpile/workshop

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 07:46:57 am »

C'est la guerre, I suppose. Oh well, back to modding in corpse-related smelter reactions...
It's war?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 09:18:58 am »

To forcibliy get rid of their clothing i was thinking of editing dwarves to high temperature, let the cloth combust, laught a bit at their nudity and then provide my mastercrafted dyed silk cloth, all for uniformity.
Question is if the temp can be edited in an active world and if something might bug. i dont want dwarves going about their busniess in burning clothes, however cool it would have been, as other things are rather flammable
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 09:22:51 am by Ivefan »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 09:37:13 am »

To forcibliy get rid of their clothing i was thinking of editing dwarves to high temperature, let the cloth combust, laught a bit at their nudity and then provide my mastercrafted dyed silk cloth, all for uniformity.
Question is if the temp can be edited in an active world and if something might bug. i dont want dwarves going about their busniess in burning clothes, however cool it would have been, as other things are rather flammable
If you're not careful you'll make your dwarves go nuclear.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 09:49:25 am »

That would also be amusing. Could try set them to be immune to fire and dip 'em in magma.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2008, 12:20:59 pm »

Tried editing creature_standard, making dwarves fixtemp 25000 and some other copypasta from SoF. Didn't seem to work as they died from magma. Question is if the changes affected a active save or if i have to gen a new world.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2008, 02:37:24 pm »

It's war?

The usual saying is c'est la vie, "That's life". I view life as a tad more bellicose.

I don't think the fixedtemp can be re-altered after worldgen. :\ The clothing system REALLY needs a revamp.

Golgath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2008, 02:43:02 pm »

Just setting their fixed tempature means that they'll heat up to that point, but retain their burning point.  So, uh, it doesn't really work, as far as I'm aware.  If you want to make them resistant to heat and magma and such, just put in the following lines:

[HEATDAM_POINT:13000]
[IGNITE_POINT:13500]

In the creature file, of course.  I know for a fact that this will make them immune to magma heat, and if you set it higher, quite possibly any other heat as well.
I fully endorse the idea of mountain goats that hunt man.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2008, 03:40:44 pm »

Gotta try that. I'm just gonna burn their cloth off then turn it back to normal.
It's no fun playing with magma without all the accidents.

-edit-
Well that didn't work. Did i need to gen a new world for it to have effect?
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:12:15 pm by Ivefan »

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2008, 05:20:29 pm »

Clothing is bugged, hence why in the current version dwarves no longer get negative thoughts from going around naked. In previous versions, dwarves would get unhappy due to wearing rotting clothes even if they put on new clothes as well. They would just put multiple layers on. Tantrum spirals were common about a year after the first large group joined the fortress.

Anyway, your dwarves will dump their rotten scraps on the ground eventually. Just mark the clotjes as hidden. Let your dwarves run free and naked and prove to the elves that nature is not beautiful!
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday
Pages: [1] 2