Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Colored Stone Higher Value Set?  (Read 1314 times)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
Colored Stone Higher Value Set?
« on: November 15, 2008, 08:57:35 pm »

I've heard someone mention increasing the value of colored stones in the raws in order to make them more useful; if anyone has done this, can you share your value table? I'm not sure what would be the best setup for when I do this.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Colored Stone Higher Value Set?
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 09:15:17 pm »

The only thing you can do is make colored stones into FLUX, which makes them double value.  I'm note sure if it's LAVA or SHARP that makes obsidian worth triple, but messing with LAVA could cause problems.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 09:21:13 pm »

I don't think that's true; I'm looking at the mineral raws now and anything with a value above 1 has a [VALUE:#] tag.

I was just wondering what anyone else might've set up for their colored stone values, for comparison. I want to use a formula that's decently balanced.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 09:40:46 pm »

Well, seems obsidian is a fairly valuable stone. So I would say around the 2-3 range. 4 is one too much, and five is out of the question.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 09:45:07 pm »

The easiest way to do it is by rarity and utility - something like Obsidian might be worth a decent amount (and it is) because it only really shows up around magma areas and it makes weapons, plus it looks nice.  Marble could be set higher, too.  Likewise jet, which was used for a lot of things.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

Dhargk

• Bay Watcher
  • Free hugs
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 03:12:06 am »

The easiest way to do it is by rarity and utility - something like Obsidian might be worth a decent amount (and it is) because it only really shows up around magma areas and it makes weapons, plus it looks nice.  Marble could be set higher, too.  Likewise jet, which was used for a lot of things.

And then you've got things like Chalk, which would probably be hard to make stuff out of, so that'd make it more valuable I guess.

Or you could say, make regular normal colored stone (Granite, rhyolite, felsite, slate, mica) value 1, make interestingly colored stone 2, and leave obsidian at 3.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 04:54:58 am »

The only thing you can do is make colored stones into FLUX, which makes them double value.  I'm note sure if it's LAVA or SHARP that makes obsidian worth triple, but messing with LAVA could cause problems.

Does adding [VALUE:#] not work? It's in the gem and ore raws (hell, it's in the entry for marble, right next to [REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]), and they're the same kind of object.

Bobokapi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 08:21:01 am »

I think pitchblende should be 3 because it comes in such small quantities and is purple

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2008, 09:53:49 am »

I've moded my stones as follows, All primary layer stones as 1, 'low' Flux's (Limestone, Dolomite, Chalk) as 2, Marble and Obsidian 3.  All the minor non-ore stones as 2 with the exception of Jet, Petrified wood, Alabaster, Microcline, Kaolinite and Brimstone at 3.  I find this makes all those minor mineral discoveries at least slightly rewarding and I am rewarded for using the stone for rooms and objects.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2008, 02:29:44 pm »

Hmm. I don't feel comfortable upping microcline and kaolinite to 3, but 2 is fine. And I beat you to the punch on Alabaster, as well as Rutile/Pitchblende.

Dude_Jebawe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2008, 10:54:22 pm »

Does adding [VALUE:#] not work? It's in the gem and ore raws (hell, it's in the entry for marble, right next to [REACTION_CLASS:FLUX]), and they're the same kind of object.
The [VALUE:#] tag works.

Either that, or every single flux stone has a [VALUE:2] tag as a complete coincidence.