Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Dwarven Recursion  (Read 4786 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarven Recursion
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2008, 07:18:08 pm »

Now imagine what will happen when decorations are improved.

"On the chainmail is an image of the chainmail Catbear the Lion of Swiftness. On the image of Catbear there is an image of the chainmail Catbear the Lion of Swiftness. On the image of catbear there is an image of the chainmail Catbear the Lion of Swiftness. Ad infinitum."

Or just finally ending with "please forward this to ten other persons or you will die in three weeks".
I hate those messages.  They're so stupid.  How on earth can an electronic letter kill you?
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2008, 10:02:40 pm »

I hate those messages.  They're so stupid.  How on earth can an electronic letter kill you?

Or get you sex, or make you lose your money, give you money...

Yeah, I don't know either.  I've scoffed at all of them so far, and guess what?  I'M STILL HERE.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2008, 10:13:54 pm »

"Forward this to twenty other people or MSN will start charging money for hotmail...
From the two directors of MSN, Mary and Joe Smith."
...Who the hell would believe that?

As for recursions...  Read the line below.
After reading this line, read the line above.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Talion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 17, 2008, 02:01:51 am »

Believe is the right word though. Those letters are a form of religion, but meh, memes will be memes. I like Snowcrash's scifi twist on that kind of thinking.

As for recursions...  Read the line below.
After reading this line, read the line above.
The problem with that one is that it could be mistaken for a simple loop.
The best dictionary definition I've seen would be:
Recursion: See Recursion.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 17, 2008, 06:46:52 am »

The problem is that artifacts aren't created in world gen yet.  And since your Horse leather vest is the first artifact in history, and there's a high chance for dwarf's to decorate items with images of items, you get a horse leather vest with an image of a horse leather vest in horse leather.   

Someday the dwarfs will make items with pictures of horse leather vests from a thousand years ago. 

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2008, 09:31:21 am »

If DF was in DF, then the dorfs would never get anything done

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 18, 2008, 05:35:55 am »

"Forward this to twenty other people or MSN will start charging money for hotmail...

No kidding. Even considering that it's Microsoft, the idea of them having the audacity to charge real money for the sack of flaming fail that is Hotmail is amazing.
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

shadow_archmagi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 05:57:28 am »

I honestly did once get an artifact idol with a no less than three artifact idols on it. The language is such that I can't be sure if it's an idol with an idol with an idol on it, or just three idols side by side.

There was also a strawberry.
invention is every dwarf's middle name
that means that somewhere out there theres a dwarf named Urist Invention Mcinvention.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2008, 06:03:56 am »

The problem is that artifacts aren't created in world gen yet.  And since your Horse leather vest is the first artifact in history, and there's a high chance for dwarf's to decorate items with images of items, you get a horse leather vest with an image of a horse leather vest in horse leather.   

Someday the dwarfs will make items with pictures of horse leather vests from a thousand years ago. 

I can somewhat stomach engravings depicting such a thing but pictures on items? Meh. We'd never see anything interesting ever again

Rhodan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2008, 08:06:01 am »

There's already a topic about dwarven recursion: http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27288.0  ;)

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2008, 12:45:54 pm »

Meme time:

"yo dawg i heard you like fortresses so we put a fort in your fort so you can play while you play."

Yo dorf I heard you like engravings, so I put an engraving in your engraving so you can get happy thoughts while you get happy thoughts.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 18, 2008, 08:42:00 pm »

No kidding. Even considering that it's Microsoft, the idea of them having the audacity to charge real money for the sack of flaming fail that is Hotmail is amazing.
Apparently you're missing the entire obvious factor in that message.
Let me point it out in SuperBlatantlyObvious-O-Tron:
Spoiler: See Spoiler.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Demetrious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2008, 03:21:20 pm »

The joke, which you have managed to miss, and then bludgeon to death, is that even Lord Mongol the Overseer of MSN would be more believable then anyone, ever, trying to charge money for MSN Hotmail. Because it's that bad.

::)
I like the fact we are seriously discussing how to drop dwarfs off towers using  kittens as cushions.

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2008, 11:11:38 pm »

Spoiler: See Spoiler.

It just wasn't funny. The fact that you had to explain it in such detail should make that obvious.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 19, 2008, 11:19:14 pm »

What's so bad about hotmail? I've never seen a reason to use anything else.
Even the avatars expire eventually.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4