Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Sticky arrow keys (figured out cause)  (Read 7133 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sticky arrow keys (figured out cause)
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2009, 12:34:44 pm »

I realized I hadn't tested that as I was typing that up... I'll try it tonight when I get home.

EDIT: arrow keys work perfectly.  It's only the numberpad that has issues.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2009, 05:52:23 pm by Granite26 »

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2009, 11:58:53 am »

It could have something to do with non-standard keyboards on laptops. Good thing the keybindings translate from the numpad to the normal keys.

Actually, one thought, maybe it has something to do with the keybindings themselves and somehow they get confused. In my example with the Fn key, it happens when I'm pressing ctrl+ up or down arrow (used for secondary scrolling) and I accidentially hit the Fn key and it acts like the left arrow key is stuck. Even though I never actually pushed it.

Oh yea, I have a Dell laptop, but the problem seems independent of manufacturer. Maybe if we post our keyboard model? Although I'm not sure where to find that, I do know of a few places where that might be found though.

Nakomys

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2009, 08:42:39 am »

It's not just laptops. I have it from time to time on my desktop.

For me, the reason seems to be pressing too many buttons at once. Usually this happens when I was designating an area of constructions or for mining. The combination of Shift, arrow keys, and Enter will lock the game into thinking one of the arrow button is pressed.

Once that happens, there's no way to unlock it, not even by reproducing the key-released events. I'll have to press Esc to pull up the main menu, press Enter at the right time to save the game. Then I need to restart DF.

This has happened to me before, and what I do is press f11 twice. Once to switch to windowed mode, and once to go back to fullscreen. That has always stopped the sticky arrow keys for me.

ManaUser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2009, 06:14:24 pm »

I get this too, and it's not a laptop (so no Fn key). It only happens when numlock is on, so my workaround was to make an AutoHotkey script that turns it off when DF is active and back on when not.
Akur Akir Akam!

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2009, 05:11:09 pm »

I get this too, and it's not a laptop (so no Fn key). It only happens when numlock is on, so my workaround was to make an AutoHotkey script that turns it off when DF is active and back on when not.

That resolved it for me, as well... Thanks a bundle
Pages: 1 [2]