Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: An odd inconsistency  (Read 1350 times)

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
An odd inconsistency
« on: November 14, 2008, 10:34:55 pm »

So I genned a quick throw-away world for a 2x2 fort and a magma-related test. As it happened, I stumbled across a nice site (magma, iron, flux, plenty of trees). So after i finished the test, i re-gened the world, and embarked in the same area with a slightly larger embark square. To my suprise, I found that the ores were all different, there was still magma, still a chalk layer, but no hematite or trees. ???

So i re-gened again, copied the region folder several times and visited the area in adv. mode. What did I find? Yet another configuration of ore, surface layers, and many more gems. So, i embarked in the same area (in the copied regions) several times with slight changes in size and biome displayed at embark (F1/F2/etc.). Each time i changed any parameter, i had a different set of ore/trees/etc. available. When all parameters match, of course, the site and resources match.

So, apparently, the exact conditions aren't created until embark? Is this a known feature/bug? Is it a feature or a bug?

SolarShado cancels browse forum: confused
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: An odd inconsistency
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 10:40:32 pm »

I believe that a slight change in the parameters will change the layout of materials and stuff.  It's the same deal as modding the raws (I think); one little difference changes everything.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

sneakey pete

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 02:28:21 am »

Yeah. i've re genned worlds exactly before, and have had ores in the exact same space, down to the tile.
Magma is overrated.

Doppel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 12:23:07 pm »

I have had this with regular stone also, one time gabbro, after embarking on the exact same map it had changed into another stone (i believe it was granite, but i'm not sure).
Doppel has been ecstatic lately. He took joy in playing DF lately. He slept on a rough cave keyboard recently.
He is a member of the Dwarf Fortress Forums.
Doppel likes the color Dark Blue, cats for their aloofness and girls for their silky soft brea beards.
He appreciates art and natural beauty.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 05:55:54 pm »

What surprised me most was that it wasn't already determined at world-gen-time. I've seen and even used posted saves/sites, but didn't realize that the details were determined upon embark.

Hmm, here's a thought: if i visit an area with an adventurer, leave and come back, is everything the same, or wil it be different? Should probably test with the same adventurer and a different one.

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2008, 06:14:28 pm »

I would wager that world gen generates basic information about the area -- does it have magma, what types of rocks, etc -- but does not actually generate the specifics (ores, type of HFS, chasm creatures, etc) until you embark there.  Since that heavily uses the RNG, even changes like the order in which stuff is generated could throw it off by a wild amount.

I would further imagine that once the area is embarked to, that information is kept for next time (which is why when you reclaim a fort everything stays built).
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2008, 06:19:46 pm »

Good point Magua. I suppose it realy shouldn't be surprising. After all, storing all the details about every square to a depth of 15+ would consume an absurd amount of disk space, especially for larger worlds.

It may be interesting to mess with and try to figure out more about how it works. I think i'll do more tests at some point.