Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11

Author Topic: [OBSOLETE] DF Accelerator  (Read 31886 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: DF Accelerator, combined, ultimate, all-knowing, all-doing, bugless version
« Reply #120 on: December 06, 2008, 10:26:22 am »

It wouldn't. The patch only affects DF-DFA communication, which is predictable and has nothing to do with the GPU.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Inquisitor Saturn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: December 06, 2008, 12:46:23 pm »

Just checking, you don't happen to have the mouse texture on?
That'd probably cause a crash. I should do something about that.

Nope.

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: December 08, 2008, 08:46:11 pm »

I just need to say, you are an excellent programmer. Your file took my crawling 20-30fps DF and made it a full 100fps beast! I can see myself playing dwarf fortress much more often now!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2008, 12:22:49 am »

This changed my current (small) fort from ~300 fps or so fort to about 320 - 340 or so, and sometimes as high as 400. A new embark on a 3x3 area was sitting at my current cap of 500 fps(!) I admit I was very skeptical it would do anything, but it does work and much better then I imagined it would.

It also made partial print 0 work right, which is great even without any other improvement.

I also left the intro movie on (oops...) but, good news, it didn't seem to break anything. The intro played fine, though when I loaded a game it was squished into the top part of the screen - however switching to windowed then back to fullscreen fixed it and I haven't noticed any other problems with anything.

Nice job! This is pretty amazing, especially considering it's just a single file you drop in the folder, no worries about hacking the exe or editing the game while it runs or anything like that.

An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Razordw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2008, 11:36:13 am »

Hearing the last couple improvements makse me wish my graphics card wasn't out of date so I could see if it helps any. I could really use an extra 10-20fps out my current fort as I'd like to keep it going and leave temperature on as it just makes magma that much more fun!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: December 09, 2008, 07:19:34 pm »

looks like my problem's the exact same one Inquisitor Saturn's having.  The game tries to start, goes to a black screen, the music starts, skips a few times, and the game crashes.  Debug window closes at crash, but the output's the same as Saturn posted.  No mouse graphic enabled here either.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: December 10, 2008, 03:28:58 am »

looks like my problem's the exact same one Inquisitor Saturn's having.  The game tries to start, goes to a black screen, the music starts, skips a few times, and the game crashes.  Debug window closes at crash, but the output's the same as Saturn posted.  No mouse graphic enabled here either.

Okay. I've got some time to look at the problem now, so please tell me the following:

- Windows version (XP, vista, SP1, SP2, etc.)
- The complete contents of your init.txt (in a spoiler)
- Make and model of your graphics card

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: December 10, 2008, 03:32:04 am »

Hearing the last couple improvements makse me wish my graphics card wasn't out of date so I could see if it helps any. I could really use an extra 10-20fps out my current fort as I'd like to keep it going and leave temperature on as it just makes magma that much more fun!

Um, what happens if you try?
I'm using only opengl 1.1 functions.. I think..
We're up to opengl 3 now.

Razordw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: December 10, 2008, 11:55:40 am »

Um, what happens if you try?
I'm using only opengl 1.1 functions.. I think..
We're up to opengl 3 now.

It was the non-power of two bug stuff, unless you fixed it and I missed the comment about that. Basically (have a screen shot in an earlier post somewhere) screwed up the graphics of each tile where only color was notable and nothing else.

mattmoss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: December 16, 2008, 12:37:19 pm »

I believe this works for me as long as I leave my grid at 80x25. If I change that in init.txt, the accelerator doesn't seem to notice and continues running at 80x25.

Any ideas?

EDIT: Running on Mac OS X 10.5.5.
EDIT EDIT: I believe toggling fullscreen and back to windows fixed this; console reports proper grid size of 80x50.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2008, 12:50:21 pm by mattmoss »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: December 17, 2008, 05:41:29 am »

Just so you know, I'm currently busy rewriting bits of Battle Champs in order to get this code into DF itself..

That is to say, I won't be working on DFA for a while, if at all. The source is available, though, and I'll try to convince Toady to do a re-release of 40d with the rewritten output code in if I'm done a long time before the next official release of DF (which I may well be).
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 08:45:02 am by Baughn »

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: December 18, 2008, 04:45:29 am »

So you won't be getting to that slowdown-to-0fps problem anytime soon, then? Ah, well.
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: December 18, 2008, 01:02:38 pm »

Nope, but instead the next version of DF will (hopefully) be faster, more stable, and run on windows, linux, OS X, not to mention any other 'nix Toady feels like compiling it on. :D

[NO_THOUGHT]

• Bay Watcher
  • *cricket*
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: December 18, 2008, 07:52:41 pm »

Sounds great as soon as it's stable enough for more computers. I have only one question, I want to use a 9x9 tileset, but the accelerator crashes the game. Anyone know how to fix this? I will try the debug version soon.

Groveller

• Bay Watcher
  • Giant Wingéd Giant Caveswallowmanman
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: December 18, 2008, 11:36:15 pm »

Nope, but instead the next version of DF will (hopefully) be faster, more stable, and run on windows, linux, OS X, not to mention any other 'nix Toady feels like compiling it on. :D

Well I guess that's a fair compromise... ;)
The raccoon's still there, though.  Just chilling out.  Being a raccoon in some rocks.

Grov: Grovness is a Grov (A Grov Grov)
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11