Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: [OBSOLETE] DF Accelerator  (Read 31868 times)

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
Re: DF Accelerator, combined, ultimate, all-knowing, all-doing, bugless version
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 04:31:46 pm »

Linking OpenGL
Failed to link glDisableClientState

Am I missing something?

An updated driver. That function is part of OpenGL 1.1, and there's basically no way whatsoever for the shim to work if it isn't around.

However, it may be a simple bug in wglGetProcAddress, which is fixable.. check back tomorrow, as I'll try a more robust method for the functions that can use one - which includes that one.

EDIT: Make that "in half an hour"; might as well get it over with. I'll post when it's done.

Done.
If it doesn't work now, it won't work, short of fixed drivers.
C++ makes baby Cthulhu weep. Why settle for the lesser horror?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 04:33:15 pm »

That did it.  That was a quick half hour.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 06:34:38 pm »

It's odd.  I'm not certain what's going on or how exactly my problem could occur at all...  I'm using the default 8x12 tileset, no graphics beyond that, and the resolution I have is 880x540 and my grid is 110x45.  Without the .dll everything works fine.  With the addition of the .dll things get stretched, but yet the same number of tiles display and the windows are the same size.  I'm thinking it's using the wrong sizes for the tiles somehow and then stretching them to 8x12, seemingly from 6x12.  I'm running vista.  Here's the debug, marked and copied directly, so it may be difficult to read.
Code: [Select]
Linking OpenGL
glGetString called: GL_ARB_color_buffer_float GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_draw_b
uffers GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_sh
ader GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_imaging GL_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitextu
re GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_
ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shader_objects GL_ARB_shading_language_100
 GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_compression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map
GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_combine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB
_texture_float GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two GL
_ARB_texture_rectangle GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_AR
B_vertex_program GL_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_ATI_draw_buffers GL_A
TI_texture_float GL_ATI_texture_mirror_once GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL
_EXT_abgr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate GL_EXT_b
lend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_ver
tex_array GL_EXT_Cg_shader GL_EXT_depth_bounds_test GL_EXT_draw_range_elements G
L_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample GL_EXT_fr
amebuffer_object GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays GL_EXT_p
acked_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_point
_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EXT_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specula
r_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_t
exture3D GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_
edge_clamp GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_fil
ter_anisotropic GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_mirror
_clamp GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_texture_sRGB GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_verte
x_array GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KTX_buffer_regio
n GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_copy_depth_to_color GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fence GL_
NV_float_buffer GL_NV_fog_distance GL_NV_fragment_program GL_NV_fragment_program
_option GL_NV_fragment_program2 GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample_coverage GL_NV_hal
f_float GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_multisample_filter_hint GL_NV_occlusion_q
uery GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_pixel_data_range GL_NV_point_sprite GL_NV_
primitive_restart GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_register_combiners2 GL_NV_texge
n_reflection GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc GL_NV_texture_env_combine4 GL_NV_text
ure_expand_normal GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_shader GL_NV_texture_sha
der2 GL_NV_texture_shader3 GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_vertex_array_range2 GL
_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_NV_vertex_program2 GL_NV_vertex_pr
ogram2_option GL_NV_vertex_program3 GL_NVX_conditional_render GL_SGIS_generate_m
ipmap GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SUN_slice_accu
m GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_swap_control
There are 513 textures, max size is 32x32
Decided on 768x704 texture catalog
Upload complete
Grid size: 110x45
DF Accelerator (re)initialization complete

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 07:09:23 pm »

That *is* odd. I'll try to reproduce it tomorrow; meanwhile, could you make a screenshot of it?

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 07:15:20 pm »

Can do.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 02:28:44 pm »

It worked initially for me but I got a crash about half an hour after starting it.  I got the error again after running DF for a while, clicking on the console output, then clicking on the DF window.   The first time when crashing, the debug window had the text "grid size 3x1/DF Accelerator (re)initialization complete" at the end of it; the second time, "grid size 1x1".

Actually, it seems I can reproduce it at will by clicking on the console window then the DF window.  If I do it on the title screen, I get "grid size 1x1", a blinking title screen, then a crash when I hit a key.

I'm also getting the font-stretching issue that Taritus is experiencing.  I'm using a 10x10 font in an 80x50 grid (800x500 window).  I actually kinda like it, though -- the larger font is more readable.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 02:36:21 pm by Maximus »

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 02:52:57 pm »

It's odd.  I'm not certain what's going on or how exactly my problem could occur at all...  I'm using the default 8x12 tileset, no graphics beyond that, and the resolution I have is 880x540 and my grid is 110x45.  Without the .dll everything works fine.  With the addition of the .dll things get stretched, but yet the same number of tiles display and the windows are the same size.  I'm thinking it's using the wrong sizes for the tiles somehow and then stretching them to 8x12, seemingly from 6x12.

I'd made a silly mistake while generating texture coordinates, dividing the vertical position by the width instead of the height. That's fixed, along with a few other possible off-by-one problems; download it now, and it should work.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 03:00:28 pm »

It worked initially for me but I got a crash about half an hour after starting it.  I got the error again after running DF for a while, clicking on the console output, then clicking on the DF window.   The first time when crashing, the debug window had the text "grid size 3x1/DF Accelerator (re)initialization complete" at the end of it; the second time, "grid size 1x1".

Actually, it seems I can reproduce it at will by clicking on the console window then the DF window.  If I do it on the title screen, I get "grid size 1x1", a blinking title screen, then a crash when I hit a key.

I can't reproduce this crash, but from the description it sounds like your copy of DF calls glViewPort *without* then proceeding to do a complete screen update; as DFA depends on this, it would be a bit hard to fix. Basically, this makes DFA decide that the screen consists only of the 1x1 tile that was updated in that drawing cycle.

Just in case, do you use 40d?

I'm not sure how to go about fixing it, though. One possible solution would be to turn off partial-printing; could you try that, and see what happens? (I would think that would ruin any FPS gain, but it's a thing to test anyhow.)

I'm also getting the font-stretching issue that Taritus is experiencing.  I'm using a 10x10 font in an 80x50 grid (800x500 window).  I actually kinda like it, though -- the larger font is more readable.

The correct solution to that is to use a better font, not to use a bug to stretch it. :P

For the curious - DFA attempts to build a texture catalog that's as close to square as possible. That usually ends up being 740x720 or something.

When my texture coordinate generation code used the width where it should have used the height, that caused the base coordinates for the pixels to be progressively more off further into the tileset; unfortunately (perhaps), the letters that would've been a dead giveaway for this are the least affected parts. Oh well. Fixed now.

EDIT: Also, I personally prefer 16x16 fonts, at which point the effect is totally unnoticable. Never mind graphical fonts, with 2144x2112 catalogs...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 03:04:12 pm by Baughn »

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 04:10:59 pm »

Windows. I'm getting about 1/2 frame per second on the menus, with and without partial print. Normally it only does this without partial print.
EDIT: Less than 1 FPS everywhere, even in game.

Code: [Select]
Linking OpenGL
glGetString called: GL_ARB_depth_texture GL_ARB_fragment_program GL_ARB_fragment
_program_shadow GL_ARB_fragment_shader GL_ARB_half_float_pixel GL_ARB_imaging GL
_ARB_multisample GL_ARB_multitexture GL_ARB_occlusion_query GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_
object GL_ARB_point_parameters GL_ARB_point_sprite GL_ARB_shadow GL_ARB_shader_o
bjects GL_ARB_shading_language_100 GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp GL_ARB_texture_co
mpression GL_ARB_texture_cube_map GL_ARB_texture_env_add GL_ARB_texture_env_comb
ine GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3 GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat GL_ARB_texture_rectan
gle GL_ARB_transpose_matrix GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object GL_ARB_vertex_program GL
_ARB_vertex_shader GL_ARB_window_pos GL_S3_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_env_add GL_EXT_ab
gr GL_EXT_bgra GL_EXT_blend_color GL_EXT_blend_func_separate GL_EXT_blend_minmax
 GL_EXT_blend_subtract GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array GL_EXT_Cg_shader GL_EXT_draw
_range_elements GL_EXT_fog_coord GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit GL_EXT_framebuffer_mult
isample GL_EXT_framebuffer_object GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters GL_EXT_multi_dra
w_arrays GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil GL_EXT_packed_pixels GL_EXT_paletted_textur
e GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object GL_EXT_point_parameters GL_EXT_rescale_normal GL_EX
T_secondary_color GL_EXT_separate_specular_color GL_EXT_shadow_funcs GL_EXT_shar
ed_texture_palette GL_EXT_stencil_two_side GL_EXT_stencil_wrap GL_EXT_texture3D
GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc GL_EXT_texture_cube_map GL_EXT_texture_edge_clam
p GL_EXT_texture_env_combine GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3 GL_EXT_texture_filter_aniso
tropic GL_EXT_texture_lod GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias GL_EXT_texture_object GL_EXT_t
exture_sRGB GL_EXT_timer_query GL_EXT_vertex_array GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip GL_IBM_
texture_mirrored_repeat GL_KTX_buffer_region GL_NV_blend_square GL_NV_copy_depth
_to_color GL_NV_depth_clamp GL_NV_fence GL_NV_float_buffer GL_NV_fog_distance GL
_NV_fragment_program GL_NV_fragment_program_option GL_NV_framebuffer_multisample
_coverage GL_NV_half_float GL_NV_light_max_exponent GL_NV_multisample_filter_hin
t GL_NV_occlusion_query GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil GL_NV_pixel_data_range GL_NV_
point_sprite GL_NV_primitive_restart GL_NV_register_combiners GL_NV_register_com
biners2 GL_NV_texgen_reflection GL_NV_texture_compression_vtc GL_NV_texture_env_
combine4 GL_NV_texture_expand_normal GL_NV_texture_rectangle GL_NV_texture_shade
r GL_NV_texture_shader2 GL_NV_texture_shader3 GL_NV_vertex_array_range GL_NV_ver
tex_array_range2 GL_NV_vertex_program GL_NV_vertex_program1_1 GL_NV_vertex_progr
am2 GL_NV_vertex_program2_option GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap GL_SGIS_texture_lod GL_
SGIX_depth_texture GL_SGIX_shadow GL_SUN_slice_accum GL_WIN_swap_hint WGL_EXT_sw
ap_control
There are 513 textures, max size is 32x32, min size is 16x16
Decided on 768x704 texture catalog
Upload complete
Grid size: 80x25
DF Accelerator (re)initialization complete
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 04:38:55 pm by Idiom »

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 05:37:26 pm »

Just in case, do you use 40d?

I'm not sure how to go about fixing it, though. One possible solution would be to turn off partial-printing; could you try that, and see what happens? (I would think that would ruin any FPS gain, but it's a thing to test anyhow.)

It's 40d -- the debug version you posted (which is why there's a terminal window).  If it doesn't happen except when running the debug version, there's no problem at all, but maybe it's indicative of a problem that would affect the regular version, so I figured I'd report it.

Turning off partial print cures the problem -- the grid is re-initialized at 80x50 each time I switch between the console and DF, and no crash occurs.  I'll let you know if any problems crop up when running partial print on the non-debug version.

The correct solution to that is to use a better font, not to use a bug to stretch it. :P

True.  But hey, it works for me. :P

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 07:21:27 pm »

For me, setting partial print to zero makes the title screen pure black and slows the game down. It's a bit faster than normal if I keep it at 10.

Baughn

• Noble Phantasm
  • The Haruhiist
  • Hiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 07:40:32 pm »

For me, setting partial print to zero makes the title screen pure black and slows the game down. It's a bit faster than normal if I keep it at 10.

That should not be actually possible. What sort of debugging output do you get?

Also, how about other settings - one, say?

Maximus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 08:53:13 pm »

Well, I'm sorry to report that it froze up (not crashed) after about a half hour of using the non-debug executable (40d) on partial print:yes:0.  It froze up while I was in another window, so I can't give you more info as to what triggered it.

Back to un-accelerated mode for now.

Hieda no Akyu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 08:54:55 pm »

Maximus, I think I've encountered the glitch and know the problem.

It appears that partial print glitches while minmizing by reseting the grid size, broking the whole damn thing. How does that happen you say? It's simple. IT CRASHES.
Thank you and good night.

EDIT: By "reseting the grid size" I mean to something like 4x3 or 2x1...
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 08:59:22 pm by Hieda no Akyu »

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 10:33:08 pm »

My drivers are only about 3 months old but I'll try new ones.  If that doesn't work, I'll sit tight.  Thanks for your work on this BTW.
I just want to point out, in computer-component-land, 3 months is a LONG TIME.
...It was long enough for Intel to bump their Wolfdale chipsets up a whole fifth of a gigahertz per core with an overall REDUCTION in power usage and heat.  That's a fairly important difference.
It was also long enough for Nvidia to buy out Ageia and integrate PhysX into their 8xxx and up series of desktop GPUs...

..I'd use this, but my primary bottleneck for the moment is in my 1.5GHz core clock...  I'll have it bumped up to 4 (aforementioned Intel Wolfdale - E8600, 3.33GHz per core, easily overclocked to at least 4) soon enough, and I really doubt that even then, my 8800GT is that horrible with OpenGL that this could have a noticeable effect...
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11