Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Army Arc - Fleeing before armies  (Read 966 times)

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Army Arc - Fleeing before armies
« on: November 14, 2008, 03:00:04 pm »

I sort of assume that the vast areas between fortresses and towns are not actually just trackless wastes.  It seems like there would be people living there of the same types as the civilizations that control the area.  When the army arc gets finished, one thing that I would like to see would be a forewarning of impending attack, however this warning is inherently a problem.  That is, these people who live out in the wilderness would find themselves on the warpath of invading armies.  Rather than sit there and be slaughtered, they would flee to places of perceived safety--fortresses.

As armies move around the map (it's listed that they will try to recruit as they go, dragging people along to attack places), some people should be able to avoid their press gangs and get out of their way before the army catches them.  These people should flood to nearby fortresses and large settlements, flooding their halls with refugees.  It would only be a temporary population!  You might have a fortress of a hundred dwarfs running smoothly and self-sufficient.  However, as a goblin army, led by a merciless demon approaches, you might get an additional 250 dwarfs showing up looking for safety and food.  This ties into making sieges harder to weather, since vastly increased populations would strain resources much more and provide many more unsupported dwarfs to tantrum.  At the same time, there are that many more people to fight off the encroaching hordes.

I know the FPS hit that would accompany something like this would be horrific.  That's why it should happen shortly before a very large siege and should only be temporary, until it's safe for these refugees to go back home.  Alternatively, I suppose the player could select who should leave and keep some of the more useful ones.

Ideas and criticisms?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Army Arc - Fleeing before armies
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 03:05:24 pm »

The county and dutchy additions may contain some of this.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 04:43:46 pm »

I aprove!

Although it should be based on your wealth on the number of dwarfs you get. It wouldn't make much sense for a score of refugees to come a seven population fort. Of course entire familys, and wagons should come too, as well as a dwarfs own stuff, and whatever else they could carry.

-Food, and drinks of course
-Maybe an anvil if there are more than one metal smiths
-Seeds
-Random junk the dwarfs own
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 05:30:20 pm »

I your own population would matter, since people aren't going to know it's a safe-haven unless you're reasonably well established.  However, that would mostly just prevent people from coming at all.  If people do know of your fortress, then it's really how many people live in the surrounding areas that would determine how many people came to your fortress and how many other fortresses there are to share the burden.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 06:26:38 pm »

Refugees would be interesting, but it would be better if:

-They could never come in a number exceeding your fort's population.
-Some came with minor injuries/being chased by ambushes.
-You can offer them citizenship, which causes the mayor to have a meeting with them and perform some kind of RNG skill check for Negotiate/whatever. If successful, they and their family become citizens.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 08:11:35 pm »

-You can offer them citizenship, which causes the mayor to have a meeting with them and perform some kind of RNG skill check for Negotiate/whatever. If successful, they and their family become citizens.

I like it.  Finally, an actual use for the Negotiator skill.  Also, possibly the Liar skill ("Of COURSE we have gainful work for your family to do Mr. Legendary Armorer.  Why... it's highly unlikely it involves cleaning the bloodstains in the kitten-pit")

It's also possible some of the refugees have been bribed by the encroaching army to open the defenses.  Who knows.  It gives another element to expand.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 10:45:54 pm »

I like it.  Finally, an actual use for the Negotiator skill.  Also, possibly the Liar skill ("Of COURSE we have gainful work for your family to do Mr. Legendary Armorer.  Why... it's highly unlikely it involves cleaning the bloodstains in the kitten-pit")

It's also possible some of the refugees have been bribed by the encroaching army to open the defenses.  Who knows.  It gives another element to expand.
That wouldn't stop me.  I'd just put the failsafe switches for my automatic magma traps behind locked doors, and then chain a dragon up in front of the door.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 03:39:17 am »

I don't think dwarves would live in the wilderness but I can see human refugees asking to hide in a mountain home

Their carts should only contain useful items like large clothing and food & water. No anvils or the like. Protecting them and more importantly, replenishing their supplies before you send them back home should improve human relations considerably

King Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 10:46:47 am »

I do like this idea, but there'd need to be a pretty hefty cap on it I think. Suddenly having 50 extra dwarves/humans/kobolds/elves turning up begging for a new home would play hell with a lot of PC's.

nondescuid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 02:39:02 pm »

I think FPS wouldn't be that much of a problem if the refugees didn't do anything but eat by default. Say they flood your meeting area(s) and then just stand there, not pathfinding, maybe one of them at a time is 'active' looking for food, so they drain the ressources of your fortress.

Of course, you could then give an order like "I want 10 of you to help my haulers!" (assuming there are ten healthy, nourished individuals among them), but that would be entirely optional, as would be offering individual refugees who have useful skills a permanent citizenship in your fort.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 03:41:05 pm »

Also, refugees should come with some decent skills (at least some of them). I also like the citizenship thing.

In fact, why is it that migrants themselves never have any good skills? I mean, at the very least, when the army arc/whatever arcs deal with leadership, or even now, shouldn't we get at least SOME proficient dwarves migrating? I mean, I'm not talking about getting proficient dwarves from the start, but when I have a duchy that has made 2 million in created wealth in five and a half years and nobody with any decent skills in the kingdom wants to migrate, it doesn't make much sense.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 17, 2008, 03:20:03 pm »

I think FPS wouldn't be that much of a problem if the refugees didn't do anything but eat by default. Say they flood your meeting area(s)

Meow much?