Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Wagon Waiting Area  (Read 1681 times)

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Wagon Waiting Area
« on: November 14, 2008, 02:35:51 pm »

I think that one of the zone designations should be "Wagon."  When caravans with wagons arrive at your fortress, the caravan sees if it can path the wagons to the depot.  If it can't, currently the wagons don't spawn and move on.  However, if you just happened to be engaging in a bridge test, it's quite possible that the wagon ignored you for no particular reason.  So, if you set a zone for waiting wagons, then they will path to the zone if they cannot reach the Depot.  Once there is a path from the zone to the available Depot, the wagons go to trade.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Wagon Waiting Area
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 05:27:24 pm »

Good idea.  This would make it easier to use an airlock entrance for dangerous areas.  You wouldn't have to worry about dwarves not collecting all the stuff from the depot and then leaving it out in the open for kobalds to steal.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 06:28:43 pm »

This could also, of course, be abused horribly. "Oh, right, go wait there under that ominous, column-of-shimmering-heat-producing, suspended-ten-tiles-in-the-air cauldron-looky thing."

As such: APPROVAL!
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 10:42:10 pm »

This could also, of course, be abused horribly. "Oh, right, go wait there under that ominous, column-of-shimmering-heat-producing, suspended-ten-tiles-in-the-air cauldron-looky thing."

As such: APPROVAL!
I like the way you're thinking.

Those elves are gonna get it . . . one way ore another . . .
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2008, 03:29:51 am »

What happens if you build an alternative depot outside and forbid it after the carts have spawned? Do they still unload there or repath to the now open one inside?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2008, 12:05:18 pm »

What's wrong with having them just wait 3-4 minutes before they leave? 

Or even be smart enough to path through raised bridges as a last resort, so they start heading in, and if the bridge is still up when they get there, they leave..

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2008, 05:14:56 pm »

How about multiple depots that seal, so you can always have one open.  So you can have elves wait indefinitally in one, goblins trade in another, and kobolds steal from a third?

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2008, 08:07:52 am »

How about multiple depots that seal, so you can always have one open.  So you can have elves wait indefinitally in one, goblins trade in another, and kobolds steal from a third?

Then everybody is happy. Happy people don't siege you.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2008, 01:03:09 pm »

Or even be smart enough to path through raised bridges as a last resort, so they start heading in, and if the bridge is still up when they get there, they leave..
That would be the most practical. In later stage, they might camp for a while and leave as soon as they notice that they're not getting in, or encounter goblins or such.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2008, 01:14:14 pm »

Let's create the following situation:

I create two sealable depots.  One is inside my walled fort, the other is outside and easily accessible.

The caravan arrives.

Once the wagons spawn, I close access to the outer depot and allow access to the inner one.

Now the question: will the wagons correctly make their way to the newly accessible depot?

Qmarx

• Bay Watcher
  • "?"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 11:06:59 pm »

Let's create the following situation:

I create two sealable depots.  One is inside my walled fort, the other is outside and easily accessible.

The caravan arrives.

Once the wagons spawn, I close access to the outer depot and allow access to the inner one.

Now the question: will the wagons correctly make their way to the newly accessible depot?
From what I've heard (take with a shaker of salt) having multiple depots invariably ends in horrible confusion.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 11:24:07 pm »

From what I've heard (take with a shaker of salt) having multiple depots invariably ends in horrible confusion.
Right, they spawn in a wagon accessible point, fail to path to the other, then explode, right?

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2008, 12:27:03 am »

I just tried it.  Everything works fine.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2008, 01:50:11 am »

I just tried it.  Everything works fine.

Until one dwarf cancles the task of raising the one bridge and the wagons end up in that one and the mules in the other.

Or vice versa, resulting in exploding wagons.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2008, 02:09:05 am »

That's why you have one switch, floodgates, magma (since it's awesomer than water) and pressure plates to hit it all in one go.