Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Horrible and Outright Painful Death  (Read 5854 times)

RavingManiac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Horrible and Outright Painful Death
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 10:08:00 pm »

A picture tells a thousand words

« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 01:35:27 am by RavingManiac »
Thief:"Quiet kitty, Qui-"
Cat:"THIEF! Protect the hoard from the skulking filth!"
The resulting party killed 20 dwarves, crippled 2 more and the remaining 9 managed to get along and have a nice party.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 10:34:08 pm »

Just... wow...

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 11:33:47 pm »

My first map basically. A fisher was out in a horribly sunny day, at a more productive pond. Where suddenly he was ambushed by goblins. They chopped off his arms and pushed the body into the pond. obviously armless dwarves can't swim.
I beg to differ.
Granted, this may be different when you have two extremely painful and bleeding stumps instead of a smooth contour.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 03:31:49 pm by AlienChickenPie »

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 01:18:17 am »

My first map basically. A fisher was out in a horribly sunny day, at a more productive pond. Where suddenly he was ambushed by goblins. They chopped off his arms and pushed the body into the pond. obviously armless dwarves can't swim.
I beg to differ.
Granted, this may be different when you have two extremely painful and bleeding stumps instead of a smooth contour.
Repost the link, it is broken.

Marlowe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 09:25:17 am »

It HAD to be a lamprey. Those things are nightmarish.

Interestingly, the wikipedia page on lampreys has a serious problem with people editing in adjectives like "horrifying", and taking down the pictures because they find them disturbing.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 09:28:04 am by Marlowe »

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 09:35:11 am »

lamprey and hagfish are the two surviving members of the jawless fish. they are so good at what they do, they dont need to evolve any further.

the spiny and armor-plated fish are all extinct- the carp got to them.

_Acorn_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 02:58:41 pm »

An exhausted dwarf fell unconscious on a fully loaded disk trap, s'ploded, and one of his friends went berserk.  The berserk dwarf stormed into the legendary dinning room, destroyed the floor grate covering a waterfall machine, and threw 5 dwarves and about a dozen stray puppies into the pit.  4 dwarves got sucked into a screw pump and drowned, and the current pushed one dwarf and all the puppies into the drain, where they fell 9 z-levels and died on impact.

The Legendary Wrestler and Capitan of the Guard killed 11 more dwarves before the tantrums stopped.  Basically everyone who was friends with anyone got executed, and the newly arrived peasants became as vassals to the Champions of the Fortress Guard.

Axe27

• Bay Watcher
  • Put down the crossbow
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 03:21:29 pm »

Most horrible death....

Well, my fortress guard decided to sleep in my trade depot, when the elves arrived! So, I lock the elves inside ( I forgot about the plight of my fortress guard) and went about my business. Fast forward a few months, and the donkey loses his mind. Donkeys are powerful beasts when pissed off, and so, the donkey kill all the elves and goes after my guard. The Donkey kicks off both his arms, and mangles his legs, along with browning most of his organs before a bolt from a marksdwarf killed him. He hung around for two months, in a pool of his own blood, in agony and missing limbs, before the goblins showed up and finished him off. 
And thus did the dream of dwarven antigravity fade away, not with a massive explosion or a flood of magma, but with a whimper.

I'm going to be depressed all day now.

AlienChickenPie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 03:33:31 pm »

I beg to differ.
Repost the link, it is broken.
Link fixed.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 06:55:12 pm »

I was playing on a map with a chasm, and there's an "interrupted by Giant Bat" message.  One of my peasants was dicking around outside and walked under the ominously hanging B.  So he's hauling ass back to the front gate with this thing flapping right behind him, and I think, "Awesome.  Right for the cage traps.  I can't wait to put that thing in the zoo." I wait until the bait gets close, and then I lock the door.  BUT, bats can fly.  It goes up a Z-level and skips the first battery of traps.  The stupid peasant runs to the one spot without no traps, and of course that's where the giant bat lands.  It starts chomping on his head.  Still, he doesn't move. "Dude.  Just take one step in any direction, and you'll live.  What's wrong with you?" The bat very slowly breaks all his limbs, gouges out his eyes, and so on.  It's taking it's time.  "Oh God, it's not just killing  him, it's raping him to death." So here's this poor peasant, bloody, violated, and scratching on the front door of his home in a vain attempt to awaken the humanity of those within, but there's no way I'm opening the door with that beast so close.  Finally, after weeks of this, he bleeds to death and the rape-bat flies off with it's new name: Wonderorgan. Great.  The thing continues to molest caravans for like the next three years.  Dorfs. Humans. Mules.  Whatever.  It doesn't care. 

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2008, 06:59:23 pm »

use the elves to lure it into an elaborate ceiling fall trap. then when the elves are dead from the ceiling falling on them lure it into an elaborate cage trap trap(not a typo). when any more elven caravans come lock them into your trade depot and release the thing in there. it would be hardcore. ;D
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 15, 2008, 10:43:51 pm »

I had quite a few interesting things.

First off, I had a dwarf live for a year and a half after trying to drown himself. Bastard hit legendary swimmer and died of starvation that long afterwards.

Second off, this one is with a goblin. A hammerdwarf bashed both his eyes out, bashed his arms off partially, after b reaking them, bashed off three of his toes, bashed off his leg, bashed off his other leg at the knee, bashed out his throat, mangled all his internal organs, and sent him flying all the way across my 3x3 map. I found the top of his leg in my pond in the top left corner, him in the top middle, and his torso in a lake filled with carp.

Finally, I had one of my nobles impale herself on a spike. Mangled her head, and since I forgot to de-forbid the door so her hubby could finish her off, she just stayed there for two seasons.

StrayCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Living gateway for the demonic Laggabeast
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2008, 10:54:02 pm »

Three things, two from one fortress, one from my current one.

I had a dwarf champion wrestler. He found a kobold. The kobold attacked him. The wrestling champion did not like this. The wrestling champion started with his legs, and somehow greyed them both, first half second of me pressing "v+w" over that kobold. The kobold's going nowhere. The wrestler takes his time, yellow organ wounds, a yellow upper spine wound. Things start moving from there, and There's changes from V-check to V-check. Both eyes put out. A yellow head wound. All the fingers broken. A hand missing. A lower arm missing. The move that assures death arrives. The Wrestler RIPS OFF THE KOBOLDS LEFT SHOULDER, TAKING THE ENTIRE ARM WITH IT. And right after that, the dwarf rips the kobold in half at the waist, taking the hip and discarding it from the kobold like a candy wrapper. The champion went off to have a snack then.

I named him Beowulf. I later checked his inventory, and found he was carrying an axe for some reason. Maybe he used to be a woodcutter, but I'd still like to believe he did it all with his hands...

Second scenario: The fortress was doing bad, and soon it would succumb to starvation and asphyxiation in cats, so there was rather a lot of stress going 'round. A vile force of darkness arrives! Oh, that's just fucking swell. I call for one of the damned fool civilians to drop the godsdammned floodgates, and change all my champions posts. The floodgates close... And one champion wrestler is left outside, returning from a drink of murky water. Oh, that's just dandy. forty goblins, three gobbo civilization leaders, axelord, axelord, and macelord all arriving, and this boys out in the cold, nothing in his hands but his pecker and a hammer he's been assigned to train with. He's going to get slaughtered.

And he did. Right after reducing forty two goblins to quivering heaps of bloody gelatinous masses, to be picked clean whilst still living by the gnats and the rats, unable to scream because their throats have been crushed, unable to run because their legs are mangled, and unable to hope because everyone who would help them is in the same state or DEAD. the walled off area they've been fighting in is littered with corpses, body parts, fired bolts, and the belongings of the damned and ruined. I've watched in awe as this dwarf exploded heads, turned goblins into pink mists, destroyed throats, ripped out hearts, and made himself a legend amongst dwarves yet again. He knew he was going to die, but he was going to that heaven under the earth covered in gore and with the laments of his foes ringing in his ears. An axelord steps up. He loses a foot, and turns the goblin away without eyes or a chest. The second axelord arrives, with another wave of goblins, perhaps twenty. He takes them all on, at the same time, and loses an eye and a hand. Ten more goblins show up, and all the soldiers are wholly dispatched, save for one goblin with a leg missing and a leg mangled. The macelord now. An epic duel begins. The world rings with the sound of their blows! A hammer to a plated torso, a mace to a chainmail helm! Dwarves awaken underground because of the battle four z-levels above them! A decisive blow, and the dwarf loses an arm. Hope is lost, for a leg follows, crushed into nothingness. The dwarf gets one final swing in, tired, stunned, knowing unconsciousness is upon him, but pleased, overjoyed for the tales that shall be sung of him and the slaughter of gods he hath wrought upon those who thought they could defile BreachedGrave, the Dwelling of Ghouls with their presence. From the ground, the dwarf rises for one last assault, the hammer swinging slowly yet unstoppably, like the drifting of a planet, into the goblins abdomen- It is a fatal blow, the body mangled, and the goblin falls onto the smiling dwarf, the mace colliding with the dying fiends keening deathwail into the dwarf, and the champion, having lost a hand, an arm, a foot, a leg, explodes into a pink mist of gore. The goblin dies upon him, having lapsed into unconsciousness and bled out, cold, alone, with no comfort, his last moments upon the earth drowning in the guts and bits of his killer.

I named the Hero of Time Jules Winnfield. And in the empty casket where he would have rested placed all the artifacts yet created, and yet lamented that there was no crafted artifact bag yet, spiked in gold, obsidian, platinum, goblin bone, ogre bone, and words of goblin sinew stitched into dragon skin "Bad Motherfucker".

Ending this on a less than epic note and one blow for the bad guys- this is more utter horror than total gore-fest, but try and put yourself in the place of this dwarf:

I've embarked upon a terrifying map, of grassland, savanna, volcano, and rocky wasteland. One dark night, through a skylight I've punched over the main stairwell, when all were sleeping, save the expedition leader- a miner, dutiful, competent, and hardworking, carving stairs for the betterment of his people, his eyes shining with the fire of a dwarf with a dream- is being watched. Watched, and hunted. The beast cares not for the fortress, nor the workers, nor his dream. He cares only for the blood pulsing through this humble worker.

And for it's ravenous hunger.

A thing swoops down, down, down, and latches onto the dwarf. Before it's terrible demise, as the dwarf wildly swings her pick, her minds sees things straight out of hell itself.

Leathern wings.
A jackal head, holding fangs as long as her arm.
A grey tail.
Needle-like horns, stained with blood.
A mane of gore covered dreadlocks.
tightly stretched skin over an alien skeleton.
Eyes burning without a soul, showing no fear, no pain, no tiring, and no emotion.
And a jaw full of rows and rows of needle-point teeth, those ivory swords inside it's mouth with holes in the end, and a hole that could never be filled, a black at the back of it's throat that showed not black, which is merely an absence of light, but true darkness inside that cavernous mouth, opening wider and wider to swallow her head, the kind of darkness you find under rocks and inside a buried casket or at the bottom of a mine when all the light's gone away, an inky, solid thing that has mass and feeling to it, a malevolence that wishes to consume all the light in the world.

Scared yet?

I savescummed to get back my leader with all her bits in one place. on her body, not in the nightwings gullet. And before you go to bed, worried of things that could be landing on the roof of your house, on the walls outside your home, staring into your window with passionless eyes, turning the doorknob to where you sleep, think of one word:

Nightwong.

Reread that word again, carefully, just in case you missed it. You'll feel better. A bit.
It takes a dwarf to use magma for snow shoveling

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 11:00:57 pm »

A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 15, 2008, 11:11:34 pm »

Dude...*All hail StrayCat*
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4