Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dangerous Booze  (Read 1108 times)

Hobgobwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dangerous Booze
« on: November 14, 2008, 01:32:46 pm »

I read an older thread about volitile booze that explodes upon being moved outdoors. So I got to thinking...

How about some other booze that produces some nasty effects, like, oh say... Enraged? Beserk? Babbling? Or even spark one of the evil artifact-making moods? How much of the status effects is hard coded?

I'm brand new to modding, so I'm not sure how to go about this, but I'm going to be looking into this. Any help is very much appreciated.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dangerous Booze
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 02:14:17 pm »

You're conflating physical characteristics (boiling point) with physiological effects (intoxicating or poisonous.)

As of now, there are tags for edible and drinkable and being booze, but naught else.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 02:16:42 pm »

I don't quite get the point of a poisonous booze, especially with dwarves acting as they currently do.

Erom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 03:00:26 pm »

Yeah, all of the examples you have posted are impossible currently. Playing with temperature is about all we can do with booze right now.

Hobgobwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 04:13:15 pm »

Rats. I suppose I'll have to wait for a later version then.

As for the point of dangerous booze? Well, for beserk-invoking stuff, imagine what happens when the elves take it back home to their king/queen when it's an offering? Or even the suicide brew?

And what better tribute to Armok than the brew that invokes evil dwarves to make evil artifacts through the spilling of blood, or previously spilled blood?

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 04:50:06 pm »

Elves don't drink booze, they are anti-dwarves.

The only reason they offer it is because they are afraid of a dwarven invasion.

I mean seriously, they can send hundreds to do battle against a lone dwarf and still lose.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 05:33:11 pm »

Elves don't drink booze, they are anti-dwarves.

The only reason they offer it is because they are afraid of a dwarven invasion.

I mean seriously, they can send hundreds to do battle against a lone dwarf and still lose.
Of course, an elf raised by dwarves could be just as powerful.  It's all that hippy stuff that weakens them.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2008, 05:37:21 pm »

Of course, an elf raised by dwarves could be just as powerful.  It's all that hippy stuff that weakens them.
Not without [DAMBLOCK:1] and [trANCES].

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 01:05:37 am »

Not without [DAMBLOCK:1] and [trANCES].

Steel armor instead of wood certainly helps, though.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.