Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Dual Screens?  (Read 1893 times)

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Screens?
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 12:58:42 am »

Can't you just adjust grid size to make the DF window really wide, and then split your desktop across the monitors?  Then you could position the window such that the view panel would be on the left screen, and the interface panel on the right.
Has anyone else even noticed this?  Honestly, it's a short-term suggestion that merits attention.  Will it work?

yeah it works quite well in windowed mode, it was one of the first things i did when the manual grid size was implemented, you'll find yourself hitting tab a lot when you start off, as you will forget that the menu/map are on the other monitor.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

Pyrorex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 12:03:45 pm »

Unfortunately, the reason why a lot of games don't do dual screens is that they're a pain to construct: to get any sort of fast implementation going, they require multithreading, and I'm pretty sure Toady has said that multithreading = no.  So while this would be neat, it probably won't come to fruition.

If that were true, then SupCom would support multiple screens.

Why?  Because SupCom is already multithreaded (in fact, if you attempt to play online with a single core machine, you'll get kicked).
But SupCom does support dual screens.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 11:34:08 pm »

Unfortunately, the reason why a lot of games don't do dual screens is that they're a pain to construct: to get any sort of fast implementation going, they require multithreading, and I'm pretty sure Toady has said that multithreading = no.  So while this would be neat, it probably won't come to fruition.

If that were true, then SupCom would support multiple screens.

Why?  Because SupCom is already multithreaded (in fact, if you attempt to play online with a single core machine, you'll get kicked).
But SupCom does support dual screens.

If you notice I have already replied to the effect that I MISREAD WHAT YOU TYPED.  It's all there up about 5 posts.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 12:14:39 am »

To TC: Stop using cluster F bombs. There's no point to using the F word in every sentence: You can't use it to actually express strong negative emotion anymore, because it is in your every sentence. And it isn't being played for humor, so over all, it's just an annoyance to have to see an F word every sentence or more.

Ozymandias

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 12:46:35 am »

...and I'm pretty sure Toady has said that multithreading = no.

That doesn't make any sense. Considering Dwarf Fortress's CPU requirements, it's obviously being designed to run on some hypothetical future computer, and since multithreading isn't going away...

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 02:45:52 am »

Ok, everyone just calm down. We don't even know multithreading (or "real" multithreading as opposed to just more of what it's already doing that runs the rendering stuff in a different thread than the real cpu-intensive stuff) would be needed for this at all. And we don't know what Toady's priorities will be in the future - no multithreading now/soon doesn't mean no multithreading ever.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 16, 2008, 07:50:50 am »

Ok, everyone just calm down. We don't even know multithreading (or "real" multithreading as opposed to just more of what it's already doing that runs the rendering stuff in a different thread than the real cpu-intensive stuff) would be needed for this at all. And we don't know what Toady's priorities will be in the future - no multithreading now/soon doesn't mean no multithreading ever.
Right.  So for now, you can just try Footkerchief's suggestion.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 18, 2008, 09:47:11 pm »

Can't you just adjust grid size to make the DF window really wide, and then split your desktop across the monitors?  Then you could position the window such that the view panel would be on the left screen, and the interface panel on the right.
Has anyone else even noticed this?  Honestly, it's a short-term suggestion that merits attention.  Will it work?
Of course it works.
Windows (by default) just spreads the desktop out over the two monitors in an arrangement you tell it to.
Having DF conform to that arrangement the way you want it to is simple enough.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries
Pages: 1 [2]