Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Siege Camps - yet another way to enhance the siege system  (Read 5409 times)

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Siege Camps - yet another way to enchance the siege system
« Reply #45 on: November 16, 2008, 04:29:36 am »

Caravans should still come after the siege, at least until one (or possibly more) caravans disappear, or one caravan flees after being attacked. They shouldn't magically know you are being sieged.

Yeah, this would make it more realistic.  :)

Also, it should be based on the size of a siege. If the siege is a horde of 200 goblins led by their king with legendary troll strike squads around the perimeter, fine, don't send caravans. But if it's a basic 30 goblin siege against a fortress with no military, just send in more guards with the caravan and beat the everliving s*** out of the goblins.

Eh, now you have contradicted yourself a bit.  :P
How should other civs know about the actual size of the sieging army?

How about this - caravan spawns on the map, sees the siege, turns tail and runs; then that civ knows about the siege and will [edit]not send a caravan. Once this happens with _your_ [dwarf] civ, they may wish to send an army next season to break the siege.

Having the caravan appear on the map before deciding not to would also help for the "wagon doesn't appear because you happened to be testing your drawbridge at that specific moment" problem, incidentally.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 01:31:01 pm by Random832 »

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 16, 2008, 07:58:53 am »

The only big issue on this thread is the sapping.  There needs to be a middle ground.  Hence why I suggested it be a game feature, but off by default.  Newbs have enough trouble with sieges as they are.  I did.  Please, think of the newbs.  We don't want them (and their money  ;) ) running away from DF (and the donations button  ;D ).

That's why the last thread on this subject veered into a discussion of difficulty curves.

The game should give you time to establish a foothold, and then start throwing bigger and badder stuff at you. So start with no sieges (you haven't made any enemies yet, especially if--like a smart newb--you've put your fortress inside dwarf territory), and then you get occasional raiding parties with no special weapons, and eventually (once you show that you're too tough for them) they bring in masons (for door and constructed-wall removal), and siege engineers, and miners, and so on.

Increased challenge should be an inevitable consequence of progressing through the game, not a magic switch in the init file.

You clearly support non-digging sappers, which is good, but newbs generally wouldn't think of settling in dwarf turf.  They've probably been told that you can settle almost anywhere.

*looks embarressed*
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 16, 2008, 08:53:18 am »

I wouldn't mind them breaking constructed walls since I can rebuild them. And it gives me a good excuse to fill the wall with magma

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 16, 2008, 09:02:10 am »

I wouldn't mind them breaking constructed walls since I can rebuild them. And it gives me a good excuse to fill the wall with magma
Why didn't I think of that?

Sappers are good if they just destroy walls-
Oooh, wait! Idea!  They use the ambushers skill while sapping!  The difference between a snatcher and a sapper would be that a sapper has a bag of "explosives" that are used up when sapping.  These would explode they way booze currently does, until real explosions are implemented.  Just think:  Battle of HelmsDeep, DF style!

Edit:  Forget I mentioned ambushing, that's pretty much already been stated.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 16, 2008, 10:07:17 am »

Caravans should still come after the siege, at least until one (or possibly more) caravans disappear, or one caravan flees after being attacked. They shouldn't magically know you are being sieged.

Yeah, this would make it more realistic.  :)

Also, it should be based on the size of a siege. If the siege is a horde of 200 goblins led by their king with legendary troll strike squads around the perimeter, fine, don't send caravans. But if it's a basic 30 goblin siege against a fortress with no military, just send in more guards with the caravan and beat the everliving s*** out of the goblins.

Eh, now you have contradicted yourself a bit.  :P
How should other civs know about the actual size of the sieging army?

How about this - caravan spawns on the map, sees the siege, turns tail and runs; then that civ knows about the siege and will send a caravan. Once this happens with _your_ [dwarf] civ, they may wish to send an army next season to break the siege.

Yep, that could work also.  :)

The only big issue on this thread is the sapping.  There needs to be a middle ground.  Hence why I suggested it be a game feature, but off by default.  Newbs have enough trouble with sieges as they are.  I did.  Please, think of the newbs.  We don't want them (and their money  ;) ) running away from DF (and the donations button  ;D ).

You know I might put that last line into my sig.

Yeah, it should be turned off by default because of the newbies. I agree. However simply saying "OH NOES I DON'T LIKE THE IDEA, DO NOT CODE IN ANYTHING LIKE THIS" is just nonsense. Lot of people would like to see diggers/tunnelers. I hope you understand it.  :)
Also 2 things.
1. Like I've said, stop talking about the goblins only.  It looks like that everyone is saying "goblin" when the word "siege" appears in a topic.  ;D
2. Diggers/tunnelers shouldn't be a "siege system feature" only. Let's say I mod in a giant worm [Something like what we've seen in the Dune movies...]
I guess it would be quite logical to give them the TUNNELER tag, correct?  :P
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]