Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Kinds of demons  (Read 3118 times)

Mike Mayday

• Bay Watcher
  • gfx whr
    • View Profile
    • Goblinart
Re: Kinds of demons
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 04:01:05 pm »

Try dropping down the demon talk and specifics...

Tag that creates miasma around the creature
Tag that increases power of creature based on carnivorous activity.

This man knows his DF design ways.
Always remember not to ask for something than can be modded in. And if it can't be modded in, don't ask for IT, ask for ways of modding it in.

Bonus note: Madre de dios! Es El Pollo Diablo!
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 04:39:19 am by Mike Mayday »
<3

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 04:29:37 pm »

Some ideas [I will mod in these into the game and probably more, when I will start to work on my TC mod]->

Lesser demons:
Fire  Imp
Magma Imp
Water Imp
Ice Imp
Incubus
Succubus
Hell Hound

Demons
Fire Demon
Ice Demon
Frog Demon
Tentacle Demon

Supreme Demons
Demon Lord
Pit Lord
Archdemon

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 04:36:33 pm »

Some ideas [I will mod in these into the game and probably more, when I will start to work on my TC mod]->

Lesser demons:
Fire  Imp
Magma Imp
Water Imp
Ice Imp
Incubus
Succubus
Hell Hound

Demons
Fire Demon
Ice Demon
Frog Demon
Tentacle Demon

Supreme Demons
Demon Lord
Pit Lord
Archdemon

Adding to that, we could have an Overlord of all Demons show up after you killed a sufficient amount of demons from a glowing pit (or with some other trigger, perhaps leading fusion goblin/demon armies after you kill their leader, and multiple sieges with demons leading them, or something). Make him absurdly strong, with some very, very evil abilities.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2008, 06:24:02 pm »

Engraved on the wall is an image of Satan and a Dwarf. Satan is striking down the Dwarf. Satan is laughing. The Dwarf is bleeding.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2008, 07:10:48 pm »

Engraved on the wall is an image of Satan and a Dwarf. Satan is striking down the Dwarf. Satan is laughing. The Dwarf is bleeding.

Engraved on the wall is a picture of a human and a demon. The human is commiting depraved acts. The demon is laughing.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2008, 07:25:06 pm »

There is currently a specific problem with the idea of succubi.
Right now, dwarves breed via SPORES.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2008, 08:15:01 pm »

There is currently a specific problem with the idea of succubi.
Right now, dwarves breed via SPORES.

Obviously a Succubi would be a talking mushroom

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2008, 11:17:44 pm »

No the chicken demon is

El Poio Diablo!

Wrong.

1) Chicken is "pollo" not "poio" (Google says "poio" happens to mean Maningrida, which appears to be a region in Australia...)
2) Adjectives come after the noun.  "El Pollo Loco" is "The Crazy Chicken" (it's a restaurant in California, if you care)

Thus:

El Diablo Pollo.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2008, 11:25:47 pm »

Le Poulet Demonique?

(stupid dictionary doesn't have the word for demonic >:(
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2008, 11:31:11 pm »

No the chicken demon is

El Poio Diablo!

Wrong.

1) Chicken is "pollo" not "poio" (Google says "poio" happens to mean Maningrida, which appears to be a region in Australia...)
2) Adjectives come after the noun.  "El Pollo Loco" is "The Crazy Chicken" (it's a restaurant in California, if you care)

Thus:

El Diablo Pollo.

El Pollo Diablo (Which oddly sounds like El Poio Diablo) is the Demon Chicken from Blood Island which is a resort island for retired pirates. He looks like a rather buff chicken man with a strong focus on the upper body.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 16, 2008, 07:41:49 am »

No the chicken demon is

El Poio Diablo!

Wrong.

Thus:

El Diablo Pollo.
Depends on if you want the chicken-ish devil or the devil-ish chicken. Pollo is right though; double-L is pronounced like J (en Español).
J is more of a ch sound
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 16, 2008, 09:55:56 am »

Lesser demons:
Fire  Imp
Magma Imp
Water Imp
Ice Imp
Incubus
Succubus
Hell Hound

Demons
Fire Demon
Ice Demon
Frog Demon
Tentacle Demon

Supreme Demons
Demon Lord
Pit Lord
Archdemon

Adding to that, we could have an Overlord of all Demons show up after you killed a sufficient amount of demons from a glowing pit (or with some other trigger, perhaps leading fusion goblin/demon armies after you kill their leader, and multiple sieges with demons leading them, or something). Make him absurdly strong, with some very, very evil abilities.

That is a neat idea.  8)
SIZE:1000 you say?  ;D

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 16, 2008, 04:45:20 pm »

We need a demon unit that can possess your guys, turning them against you. Or maybe seduce them, like some sort of foo-cubus (dwarfcubus?)

Also, maybe they could have certain resistances. Like there's one who is resistant to hacking, so you must bash it with hammers, or one that is immune to any non-temperature damage (puttin magma traps to good use).
A succubus is a demon, and as such it doesn't need to be species-specific.

Be wary of just throwing resistances around because it would be challenging. Not that these tags couldn't be useful at some point, but hack-resistant? Why? If it's a tough skin, it would be better to differentiate the skin; if it's armor, give it appropriate armor; if it's magic, give the appropriate spell, etc. DF is trying to be a consistent world, let's not get into the habit of throwing together a bunch of random tags and call it a creature. Once again, such tags could be useful but in general it's better to implement creature abilities through the game mechanics, rather than force abilities through the mechanics.

You're right, of course, but I don't think he implied anything to the contrary -- he just said those effects would be cool, not how they should be implemented.

Milskidasith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 16, 2008, 05:08:59 pm »

A demon that can only be killed by magma... Ok, ignoring the fact that makes no sense, plenty of maps have HFS but don't have magma... meaning you just made an automatic fort killer.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2008, 05:19:20 pm »

"Immune to weapon damage" (yet vulnerable to magma for some reason) irks me for the same reason AD&D 2e's "immune to non-magical and/or +X weapons" system did.  In 2e, you could nail something with a cruise missile (in theory, anyway) and not even scratch it, but a +1 toe-nail clipper could kill it.
Pages: 1 [2] 3