Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Kinds of demons  (Read 3114 times)

TrombonistAndrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Kinds of demons
« on: November 14, 2008, 10:59:15 am »

From an artistic point, I think that demons are creatures we can have a lot of fun with designing. I know that Toady already has some good demons in the game; I haven't met any of them (yet). But I was thinking . . .

Is there a kind of demon which is based on creating miasmas?

If Toady revamps how he defines undead creatures, I suppose this could be an option for an undead demon. Or even just some demon who delights in disgusting it's victims before killing them. And eating them. Which then makes the demon stronger and even more miasmatic.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 11:05:27 am by TrombonistAndrew »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kinds of demons
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 11:02:12 am »

Let me see

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I have no problem with many more demon types except that so far I rarely see them unless I find the HFS

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 11:35:09 am »

Try dropping down the demon talk and specifics...

Tag that creates miasma around the creature
Tag that increases power of creature based on carnivorous activity.

Align

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 11:55:33 am »

Don't zombies spread miasma?
My stray dogs often chase fire imps back into the magma pipe and then continue fighting while burning and drowning in the lava. Truly their loyalty knows no bounds, but perhaps it should.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2008, 11:58:49 am »

Don't zombies spread miasma?

Undead demons?
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

unobtaniumman

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop squashing Mr. Saturn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2008, 11:46:52 pm »

We need a demon unit that can possess your guys, turning them against you. Or maybe seduce them, like some sort of foo-cubus (dwarfcubus?)

Also, maybe they could have certain resistances. Like there's one who is resistant to hacking, so you must bash it with hammers, or one that is immune to any non-temperature damage (puttin magma traps to good use).
Time Kitten: Brown oceans are typically blotched with red for no apparent reason. I say asthetics.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2008, 11:53:05 pm »

We need a demon unit that can possess your guys, turning them against you. Or maybe seduce them, like some sort of foo-cubus (dwarfcubus?)

Also, maybe they could have certain resistances. Like there's one who is resistant to hacking, so you must bash it with hammers, or one that is immune to any non-temperature damage (puttin magma traps to good use).
Magma is king.  Magma burns all who do not respect it.
(in other words, good idea.  Of course, magma is already the most useful trap component if you have a magma pipe and an infinite water source.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2008, 04:10:34 am »

We need a demon unit that can possess your guys, turning them against you.

If Red Alert 2's expansion was any indication, this would frustrate people to no end

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2008, 08:49:26 am »

A succubus is a demon, and as such it doesn't need to be species-specific.

Be wary of just throwing resistances around because it would be challenging. Not that these tags couldn't be useful at some point, but hack-resistant? Why? If it's a tough skin, it would be better to differentiate the skin; if it's armor, give it appropriate armor; if it's magic, give the appropriate spell, etc. DF is trying to be a consistent world, let's not get into the habit of throwing together a bunch of random tags and call it a creature. Once again, such tags could be useful but in general it's better to implement creature abilities through the game mechanics, rather than force abilities through the mechanics.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2008, 10:56:06 am »

Personally I'd like to see demons, and Angels, not because it's cliche, but because it would help to make a sense of bad, and evil in the game.

Demon of fire
Angel of life

Practically the same thing, except if magic will get implemented any time soon the angels fire can also heal friendly units. Although there is already a discussion going on about dwarf heaven somewhere in these forums.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

snelg

• Bay Watcher
  • Hoary Marmot Extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 15, 2008, 03:18:52 pm »

Tag that increases power of creature based on carnivorous activity.
Would be interresting to be able to have it work for different things too, like metals... or something.
When there's no more room in the fortress, the cats will walk the earth.
Cancels writing: Interrupted by Hoary Marmot.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 15, 2008, 03:28:02 pm »

I think the reason there are no Angels in the game have two possible reasons

A) Toady doesn't have mechanics for Benevolent creatures

or

B) Toady plans on making Angel's or benevolent beings dirrect servants to existing gods

Of course a third reason does exist...

C) Dwarf fortress is going to be another game/show/movie where demons and other malicious beings exist, but anything even close to benevolent doesn't exist.

Actually (B) brings up an interesting point...

Gods who have domains that are CLEARLY evil... Wouldn't have Demon Servants but who would be similar to that of demons.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2008, 03:30:57 pm by Neonivek »

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 15, 2008, 03:30:10 pm »

I want a giant chicken demon.
Something humiliating.

Actually that would be an awesome one. One infiltrates your fortress, acts like a regular dwarf, right until it sucks out the soul of your legendary marksdwarf. If you kill it before it escapes, you save the victim?

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2008, 03:47:27 pm »

I want a giant chicken demon.
Something humiliating.

Actually that would be an awesome one. One infiltrates your fortress, acts like a regular dwarf, right until it sucks out the soul of your legendary marksdwarf. If you kill it before it escapes, you save the victim?

A giant chicken demon? You mean a fowl fiend? On another note, I would like to see other spirits like a spirit of air (sucks away air/blows your troops away/etc), a spirit of water (summons tidal waves/freezes your troops/etc) or spirit of earth...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2008, 03:56:50 pm »

No the chicken demon is

El Poio Diablo!
Pages: [1] 2 3