Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Secret Doors  (Read 3113 times)

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Doors
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2008, 11:01:31 am »

The long and short is that pathfinding is significantly more complicated...

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2008, 11:57:37 am »

What is it about the design of the pathfinding system that makes this difficult? (note we already have pet-impassable doors and forbidden doors thieves can get into) - I may have ideas.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2008, 12:02:51 pm »

Except the pet-impassable doors don't work.  Your pets still try to path through them.
DFPaint, a cross-platform 'screenbuilder' utility

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2008, 12:06:04 pm »

Except the pet-impassable doors don't work.  Your pets still try to path through them.

Right - my point was, this means there's _already_ a problem that has to be solved. So how does pathfinding work?

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2008, 12:15:17 pm »

What is it about the design of the pathfinding system that makes this difficult? (note we already have pet-impassable doors and forbidden doors thieves can get into) - I may have ideas.

Don't know, but it's the party line.  I'll see if I can't find the quote...

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2008, 12:27:04 pm »

Ah, I was confused because I consider your other example - thieves getting into forbidden doors - to be reasonable.

This is how search works.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2008, 12:33:17 pm »

Ah, I was confused because I consider your other example - thieves getting into forbidden doors - to be reasonable.

This is how search works.

Right, but there's no reason that algorithm's choice of what tiles are able to be pathed through shouldn't be able to differ each time it's executed - I got the impression before that there was some shortcut being taken for unreachable cases that wasn't properly set up for it.

korora

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2008, 12:38:57 pm »

Yeah, now I remember (thanks for reminding me!).  Every tile is given an index such that any two tiles have the same index if and only if there is a connected path between them. 

Pyrorex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2008, 12:44:13 pm »

Or you could just add a fortification that lets water pass through but not creatures.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2008, 12:45:24 pm »

Yeah, now I remember (thanks for reminding me!).  Every tile is given an index such that any two tiles have the same index if and only if there is a connected path between them. 

ok - how about this - have the index attached to the tile be "worst case" (i.e. if two tiles are disconnected for _anyone_, whether it's friendlies, pets, non-flying/swimming creatures, enemies, etc, they have a different index), and have a small data structure that will show you that the indices "23" and "42" are actually connected for any friendly non-pet, whereas "23" is not connected to "42" (due to part of the link being a hidden door they can't see) but "35" is (due to a forbidden door that they can get through) for thieves and enemy building destroyers.

Or you could just add a fortification that lets water pass through but not creatures.

I'm not sure what this has to do with this topic?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2008, 12:46:57 pm by Random832 »

Pyrorex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2008, 01:16:19 pm »

Its very frustrating when I have my main entrance built and ready for murder, an uncrossable deathtrap, and then I run out of booze, so I dig a passage to the river on the other side of the map, and now all the sieges go for that door.
Secret door? More like no door at all.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2008, 01:27:51 pm »

Its very frustrating when I have my main entrance built and ready for murder, an uncrossable deathtrap, and then I run out of booze, so I dig a passage to the river on the other side of the map, and now all the sieges go for that door.
Secret door? More like no door at all.

Right - I just realized that - this is another problem

Siegers shouldn't be psychic. They should have to scout out on the map to find your entrance, and once they're encamped, if you dig out a new entrance too far away / on the opposite side of a hill (I don't want to say LoS because the way LoS is currently handled in adventure mode is broken) they shouldn't know about it until they see it.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2008, 01:59:42 pm »

Bloat280, ONE-WAY/SECRET DOORS, (Future): These would be nice but raise path-finding optimization issues.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2008, 02:32:20 pm »

Critters should look for secret doors in areas that have a lot of foot traffic (ie, where grass has been ground down to dirt or sand).  It's way easier to conceal where you've been walking on a mountain than it is on a grassy hillside, I would think.  And that kind of stealth matters.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!
Pages: 1 [2]