Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Secret Doors  (Read 3124 times)

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Secret Doors
« on: November 13, 2008, 01:22:25 pm »

I would greatly enjoy having the ability to build secret doors. Its very frustrating when I have my main entrance built and ready for murder, an uncrossable deathtrap, and then I run out of booze, so I dig a passage to the river on the other side of the map, and now all the sieges go for that door. There should be an object you can craft at the mason's shop "secret door" or "secret hatch cover", and you have to make it out of the same kind of rock as the rock your exit is carved out of, and its just hidden. That is, attackers won't know it exists unless they see it used. Obviously, that functionality is a whole new set of code, but wasn't Toady planning something for traps along the same line? Once they see it in action, they know its there? Once that is implemented, secret doors would be an excellent second goal.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Secret Doors
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 02:01:11 pm »

I would greatly enjoy having the ability to build secret doors. Its very frustrating when I have my main entrance built and ready for murder, an uncrossable deathtrap, and then I run out of booze, so I dig a passage to the river on the other side of the map, and now all the sieges go for that door. There should be an object you can craft at the mason's shop "secret door" or "secret hatch cover", and you have to make it out of the same kind of rock as the rock your exit is carved out of, and its just hidden. That is, attackers won't know it exists unless they see it used. Obviously, that functionality is a whole new set of code, but wasn't Toady planning something for traps along the same line? Once they see it in action, they know its there? Once that is implemented, secret doors would be an excellent second goal.

I think you should also be able to carve it out of a natural wall, and if you don't there's a chance attackers can figure it out (maybe if they happen to walk really close to it) but if you do they have to see it used

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 02:05:33 pm »

I think you should also be able to carve it out of a natural wall, and if you don't there's a chance attackers can figure it out (maybe if they happen to walk really close to it) but if you do they have to see it used

Actually carving it straight from the wall is an even better idea. Good call.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 02:44:18 pm »

Of course, to solve your water supply problem, you could always tap the river from below. (bonus points for engineering how to do this safely)

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 03:19:00 pm »

If naught else, it would be lovely to have hatch covers that don't flash. Also, adventure mode fort-exploring uses.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 03:46:37 pm »

To balance the secretiveness of the door a dwarf should pause when passing through the door, the dwarf must spend time opening before passing through and closing the door after going through.  This reflects the time spent finding the door, moving the heavy rock and repositioning it so as to be sure the door is properly concealed at all times.  The time spent would be equal to the opening time for a floodgate.  If another dwarf reaches the door and tries to pass through the door when it is in the process of closing then the original dwarf will be 'relieved' of closing duty and continue on his way, but the new dwarf will be tasked with completing the closing after they are through and the process will be reset.  Thus a large group passing through at once will not incur ridiculous penalties as the closing task will get repeatedly bumped to the next dwarf and only the last will actually spend any time doing it.

Lastly a secret door can be set to 'Leave open' which means any dwarf passing through will wave the closing operation and just leave the door open, this of course risks detection if an enemy sees the open door.  You can issue a 'close the door' task to explicitly send a dwarf to close the door if its been left open  If the secret door is linked to a lever it functions just like a flood gate with the characteristic delay but doesn't hold back water.
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 04:01:52 pm »

If the secret door is linked to a lever it functions just like a flood gate with the characteristic delay but doesn't hold back water.

Why shouldn't it hold back water? Regular doors hold back water.

Impaler[WrG]

• Bay Watcher
  • Khazad Project Leader
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 04:07:53 pm »

Regular doors shouldn't hold back water either
Khazad the Isometric Fortress Engine
Extract forts from DF, load and save them to file and view them in full 3D

Khazad Home Thread
Khazad v0.0.5 Download

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 04:26:25 pm »

I disagree - maybe they should leak, but they should definitely be more effective than empty space. (see my thread on this subject)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 04:33:55 pm »

I disagree - maybe they should leak, but they should definitely be more effective than empty space. (see my thread on this subject)

Yeah, that would be quite realistic indeed. However wooden doors for example shouldn't be able to hold back big amounts of water for a longer period, because of the pressure. So if there is ~4/7 water on the tile near the door, the pressure should destroy the door quite fast.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 04:42:47 pm »

Yeah, that would be quite realistic indeed. However wooden doors for example shouldn't be able to hold back big amounts of water for a longer period, because of the pressure. So if there is ~4/7 water on the tile near the door, the pressure should destroy the door quite fast.

I'm not sure that's valid - why would it, as long as the frame and the hinges are securely made? I don't think wood is that weak of a material - I mean, people do make containers that can hold water 10 feet deep out of wood (small water towers on top of buildings, for instance)

Now, maybe wooden doors that get damp on the air-exposed side could start to rot.

Pressure is also static - if 4/7 doesn't destroy it immediately why would it destroy it after a period of time - I think pressure _changes_ should be what causes wear on a door - and even for wooden doors i think we should be talking about a pressure head of two or three Z-levels before this starts to happen (and, say, eight Z-levels would be enough to burst any door outright)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2008, 04:45:28 pm by Random832 »

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 04:48:13 pm »

Yeah, that is why I've said: "the pressure should destroy the door quite fast". [not immediately!]
If the material is rotting [wood], it will be weaker and weaker, and at one point it won't be able to hold back the water.
Now as we know, 1 year in DF is quite short.... :)

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 05:02:53 pm »

I'd like it if you could collect dirt in bags and put it over a hatch cover to disguise it as dirt. I just like the idea of a vast underground city under a forest and the only access is through one concealed hatch.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

MagicJuggler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 05:08:07 pm »

I would like it if you could carry soil, if only for rooftop gardens in aboveground cities.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 07:01:59 pm »

I have to wonder why this wasn't implemented back in the 2D days, seeing as how DF was originally intended as a Moria simulator.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember
Pages: [1] 2