Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Variable [FUEL] tag  (Read 2528 times)

Virex

• Bay Watcher
  • Subjects interest attracted. Annalyses pending...
    • View Profile
Re: Variable [FUEL] tag
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2008, 07:34:10 pm »

Not quite the case. Many alloys gain their properties from a reaction between the metalic compounds used (Redox reactions for those who know their way around chemistry), but I think most of those reactions actualy go fast enough at a high temperature to not have to worry about that.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2008, 09:26:49 pm »

That, and also I think Sowelu was referring to reactions in the DF anything-you-do-at-a-smelter sense.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2008, 11:11:37 pm »

Not quite the case. Many alloys gain their properties from a reaction between the metalic compounds used (Redox reactions for those who know their way around chemistry), but I think most of those reactions actualy go fast enough at a high temperature to not have to worry about that.

I'm not sure how many transition metals will form such compounds with other metals. Can you provide a source for this? Everything I've read points to alloys being more like simple mixtures, even to the point of a single alloy having multiple melting points (for each constituent).
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Osmosis Jones

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 100% more rotation!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2008, 12:29:42 am »

I'd say it depends on your definition of alloying; if you are referring to the mixing of 2 or more metals together, you won't get a reaction, as the valence shell electrons will be delocalised (i.e; not bound to one atom, can be thought of as a 'sea' of electrons surrounding the metal atoms) in either case. However, if you include semi-metallics in your definition, which are sufficiently electronegative as to prevent the delocalisation, you will get reactions between the constituents (metal carbides and silicides being the best known examples).
The Marx generator will produce Engels-waves which should allow the inherently unstable isotope of Leninium to undergo a rapid Stalinisation in mere trockoseconds.

JohnieRWilkins

• Bay Watcher
  • @_@?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2008, 01:12:44 am »

I'm okay for flux as a requirement to any reaction as long as goblins carry it around with them.

Urist McWilkins likes goblins for their iron and flux.
- But honestly, if you think
If we could miniaturize things, we would have everybody wielding drawbridges and utterly atomizing

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 16, 2008, 02:41:02 am »

I'm okay for flux as a requirement to any reaction as long as goblins carry it around with them.

Urist McWilkins likes goblins for their iron and flux.

You wouldn't need it for melting pure metal objects, just for making metal from ores. And it wouldn't always be the same flux as what we use now for steel.
Pages: 1 [2]