Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Humanoid pets and jobs / Multiple creature Civs  (Read 2859 times)

Mokuren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Humanoid pets and jobs / Multiple creature Civs
« on: November 12, 2008, 07:38:47 pm »

Ok guys, I need some help in knowing whether what I'm trying to do has a chance or is hardcode-doomed.

Humanoid pets and blah blah stuff, got that covered, it all works fine.

However, humanoid pets that can both speak AND learn always end up being professional psycholigists since they do nothing but talk, talk, TALK ALL THE TIME.

Recently, one of such pets has been elected mayor.

The problem is that pets can't work, so this mayor actually does... Nothing, and not having thoughts means it cannot even do mandates, and even if it did, I couldn't check which, since it has no thoughts.

So I tried to fix that by not making them pets anymore.

If you put creatures in creature_standard.txt AND you mod the entity_default.txt file you can put MORE than one creature type per civilization.

HOWEVER, doing so means that every creature after the first is considered a "Pet" that can be bought in the embark screen. If such creatures don't have a PET_VALUE tag they cost 1.

Those pets have thoughts, preferences and can be assigned jobs, or even drafted in the army. However, they behave as pets regardless of this, so they still won't do any job and won't appear in the military list even if drafted (moreover, you can't undraft them).

Is there a workaround? Is it possible to have a civilization with multiple creature types?

Kageshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Humanoid pets and jobs / Multiple creature Civs
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2008, 07:49:28 pm »

I don't have an answer for you but I'd be interested in seeing your files.  I have humanoid pets in my gobbo fort but I had to remove the [INTELLIGENT] tag to make them buyable.  Basically, I want intelligent war/hunting dwarves and intelligent [VERMINHUNTER] elves for pets.

Mokuren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2008, 07:59:22 pm »

I don't have an answer for you but I'd be interested in seeing your files.  I have humanoid pets in my gobbo fort but I had to remove the [INTELLIGENT] tag to make them buyable.  Basically, I want intelligent war/hunting dwarves and intelligent [VERMINHUNTER] elves for pets.

Sure thing.

Here's the creature_domestic_humanoid.txt file that I originally used, up until one of such pets has been elected mayor.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Here is the creature_standard.txt file as of now. I basically just moved the pets there and removed the Pet stuff.

And here is my entity_default.txt file

Note that they're just additions, the rest of the original file is still there with dwarves, elves and stuff.

Now, while putting more creatures works fine, any one before the first is considered a pet, and if it has no pet value listed it simply costs 1, but is still a pet.

An intelligent pet that can speak, learn, has thoughts and mood but can't do jobs even when allowed to. It seems like there's some hardcoded pet stuff that can't be overridden, that's why I was looking for a way to have different creatures that are not pets.

... Maybe if I put a [BABYSNATCHER] tag...?

Kageshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2008, 09:03:18 pm »

Sure thing.

Here's the creature_domestic_humanoid.txt file that I originally used, up until one of such pets has been elected mayor.

Here is the creature_standard.txt file as of now. I basically just moved the pets there and removed the Pet stuff.

And here is my entity_default.txt file

Note that they're just additions, the rest of the original file is still there with dwarves, elves and stuff.

Now, while putting more creatures works fine, any one before the first is considered a pet, and if it has no pet value listed it simply costs 1, but is still a pet.

An intelligent pet that can speak, learn, has thoughts and mood but can't do jobs even when allowed to. It seems like there's some hardcoded pet stuff that can't be overridden, that's why I was looking for a way to have different creatures that are not pets.

... Maybe if I put a [BABYSNATCHER] tag...?

So, just to make sure I understand what's going on here correctly, catpeople and dogpeople would be pets because they're stacked into the same entity as bunnypeople but they're not the first listed?

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2008, 09:09:20 pm »

I'd just like to note that according to those raws you can have male bunny/cat/dog girls;)
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2008, 09:51:12 pm »

sup /tg/

Look at the raws for Kobold Camp. When I just put the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag on the kobolds and gave them jobs in the entity_default file I could assign them jobs in the embark screen, but the p -> labour menu told me they are pets and i couldn't change/assign labour. Compare the Kobold Camp raws with vanilla raws to see what's different, and apply the same to you pet races.

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2008, 09:57:38 pm »

Yeah, add [FEMALE] to that shit.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 10:08:45 pm »

Either that or add [SPECNAME:MALE:Catboy:Catboys:Catboy]

Squeegy

• Bay Watcher
  • I don't really have any answers for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 10:25:03 pm »

Hey now that is a nice modding trick.
I think I'm an alright guy. I just wanna live until I gotta die. I know I'm not perfect, but God knows I try.
Kobold Name Generator
⚔Dueling Blades⚔
Fertile Lands
The Emerald Isles

Mokuren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 08:13:11 am »

So, just to make sure I understand what's going on here correctly, catpeople and dogpeople would be pets because they're stacked into the same entity as bunnypeople but they're not the first listed?

Apparently.

It may also be because they previously were listed as pets in the raw with the same creature name and this has somehow carried over. I'll try with a fresh installation and see if anything changes.

Quote from: Dogman
Look at the raws for Kobold Camp. When I just put the [CIV_CONTROLLABLE] tag on the kobolds and gave them jobs in the entity_default file I could assign them jobs in the embark screen, but the p -> labour menu told me they are pets and i couldn't change/assign labour. Compare the Kobold Camp raws with vanilla raws to see what's different, and apply the same to you pet races.

I already did, there's no difference aside from job preferences and other irrelevant stuff. I don't even think this is the real problem, since Bunnygirls have been modded in from scratch and they work fine, it's just a matter of multiple creature types in the same civilization. It seems it's hardcoded to have just a dominant one and a number of pets.

The funny thing is that I CAN assign them labour and see into their thoughts and relationships even if they're pets, but they won't work and keep behaving as pets regardless of that. As I said, they can also be drafted into the army, but won't appear on the military list and can't be un-drafted (maybe because, being pets, the game system can't find their appropriate job? Like "Peasant"?).

Oooo, so that's how you add futa...

Thanks.

Mohreb el Yasim

• Bay Watcher
  • ♫♪♫♫♪♫♪♪♫♪
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 09:40:08 am »

aren't jobs listed in the entitie raws?
once happened to me that i embarked with elfs but they couldn't do just ome kind of works (they cant digg woodcut hunt carpenter or so but they can gather plants ... it was a short but boring game) then  i wached raws and i've seen that somewhere jobs are assigned. and maybe if you have more race in a civ. first decide what can be affected but others should have those jobs too for being able to do it no?
Mohreb el Yasim

GENERATION 24:The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experime

Mokuren

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 11:18:25 am »

once happened to me that i embarked with elfs but they couldn't do just ome kind of works (they cant digg woodcut hunt carpenter or so but they can gather plants ... it was a short but boring game) then  i wached raws and i've seen that somewhere jobs are assigned. and maybe if you have more race in a civ. first decide what can be affected but others should have those jobs too for being able to do it no?

Yes.

Allowed jobs are listed in entity_default, that's why my catgirls and doggirls can be assigned labour. However, since they are not the "dominant" race in the entity, they're listed as pets, and pet AI says they can't do jobs, hence their labour preferences are overridden from the pet AI and they keep doing nothing, including not conducting meetings when they are elected mayors (and they will, since they do nothing but TALK ALL THE TIME)

Kageshin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2008, 11:23:03 am »

Yes.

Allowed jobs are listed in entity_default, that's why my catgirls and doggirls can be assigned labour. However, since they are not the "dominant" race in the entity, they're listed as pets, and pet AI says they can't do jobs, hence their labour preferences are overridden from the pet AI and they keep doing nothing, including not conducting meetings when they are elected mayors (and they will, since they do nothing but TALK ALL THE TIME)

Keep us posted on your testing.  Another question:  you posted your original creature_domestic along with the text of two other files; you seemed to suggest you made changes in the latter two files as opposed to your original structure and I'm wondering if that fixed the issue with pets being elected mayor and such.  On some level, I hope it didn't because that could screw up a fortress hilariously.

Neoskel

• Bay Watcher
  • Read or the owl will eat you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2008, 08:40:21 pm »

Course then male children will still be called loli catgirls. Which is way wrong.
Urist Mcsurvivalist has been accosted by edible vermin lately.

Goblins: The fourth iron ore.

Dogman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2008, 08:58:39 pm »

Course then male children will still be called loli catgirls. Which is way wrong.

Good point. Toady, we need a tag that will give special names to the young; if we have loli catgirls than it's only fair others get shota catboys
Pages: [1] 2