Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25

Author Topic: Stranded II - God damnit I need two more vines.  (Read 78585 times)

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Stranded II - God damnit I need two more vines.
« Reply #240 on: January 20, 2009, 12:18:52 pm »

The player does have a model.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 20, 2009, 12:33:02 pm »

This is why this game just plain needs multiplayer,if it had that its playability would boost ten fold.
QFT

How difficult would adding multiplayer be?

Insanely hard.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: January 20, 2009, 12:34:49 pm »

Insanely hard.

Agreed, it would be much easier to remake the game concept in an engine that already had multiplayer (torque for example)

The game itself isn't exactly complicated.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 20, 2009, 12:52:47 pm »

Bugger. If memory serves, the developer has explicitly stated that he won't be making mulitplayer, at least not any time soon.

For now we'll have to settle for succession islands or something.

SHAD0Wdump

• Bay Watcher
  • Hiding in SPAAACE!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 20, 2009, 12:59:36 pm »

Or as stated,mod another game.

Danaru

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% Manly
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 20, 2009, 01:19:03 pm »

Odd how "Experiment" in DF is often synonymous with "Raging inferno of death and dispair"

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 20, 2009, 01:34:07 pm »

Not cool. I can't sleep. The default sleep key is "z". I press z. Nothing happens.

It's especially bad in Island Survival or whatever the mod is called, when I start with a nearly-full fatigue bar. It wouldn't be so bad, but being tired KILLS YOU.

Forget it. The default seems to be "z" on a German keyboard, which is not located where the "z" is on mine. I reconfigured the controls. When I pressed "z", it came up as "y".
« Last Edit: January 20, 2009, 01:47:34 pm by Mephisto »

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 20, 2009, 01:37:49 pm »

succession islands

DO.

WANT.

I don't actually see that being too much fun since player creativity is limited to a far greater degree than in Dwarf Fortress. The only real decision you can make is where to place a building. There's no way to make a truely personal mark on the island.

Boogerman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 20, 2009, 02:49:35 pm »

succession islands

DO.

WANT.

I don't actually see that being too much fun since player creativity is limited to a far greater degree than in Dwarf Fortress. The only real decision you can make is where to place a building. There's no way to make a truely personal mark on the island.

Make a maze out of grain.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 20, 2009, 03:20:28 pm »

That would be fun until the locusts showed up, though I guess you can mod it to get rid of 'em.

Would be a shame to remake this in another engine--The graphics engine is actually GREAT for this game, seriously.  The landscape works quite impressively (though I don't like climbing-up-any-height-cliffs), navigating generally feels natural except in the editor, and the graphics effects look great and run fast on my machine.

Also the scripting language is apparently awesome and easy to use.  Though it WOULD be nice to lose its many many limitations.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 20, 2009, 03:30:11 pm »

Hmm.... Since it's so easy to mod, perhaps we should have a community mod. We treat it like a succession fort and pass the game between people. Each person contributes something to the game. After everyone has added something, we could then proceed with the succession island plan.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 20, 2009, 06:52:26 pm »

Didn't somebody mod shovel that lowered the level of the terrain, and gave you dirt you could use to raise the terrain? Just that alone would let us make awsome succession islands.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 20, 2009, 09:29:28 pm »

Hey, that would be cool.

My biggest issue is that there's not much you can do for a tech tree.  Right now, for gathering ore, well, you just walk to wherever the ore is and that's all.  There's no reason to accumulate much.  It would be awesome to have cause to fill up a wood storage, but right now, not really.

Also, uh, pounding at a rock for hours is kind of neat on Wurm, when you're standing next to other players, but I'm not sure how fun it would be in a single player game.

It could be fun if we switch off every game week though, hmm...  Would really have to think about "how am I going to optimize my time here".

Vactor

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^ DF 1.0 ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 20, 2009, 10:30:43 pm »

One of the weaknesses of a game like this is that the fun for me is derived from what you don't know you can make.  Part of the drive to play is the idea that there is something you haven't discovered yet. Once that is no longer true it becomes tedious.
Wreck of Theseus: My 2D Roguelite Mech Platformer
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=141525.0

My AT-ST spore creature http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0btwvL9CNlA

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 20, 2009, 11:13:54 pm »

I'm driven by fear. Constantly upgrading my little shelter on island to protect me from my three great fears - fear of thirst, fear of hunger and fear of lions ;D. Because of these, I have a well, grain, berries, grapes, a slingshot, a bow, and a machete, and am collecting ammo for all of the above. Admittedly though, it can get boring quite fast, and I would like to mod some of the things that DONT make sense. Mining iron with your bare hands for a start.

On a side note, anyone know what claws and teeth are good for? As fun as not knowing is - it gets frustrating.
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 25