Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25

Author Topic: Stranded II - God damnit I need two more vines.  (Read 78589 times)

Delamore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Stranded II - God damnit I need two more vines.
« Reply #120 on: May 17, 2008, 04:37:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Deon:
<STRONG>I hope you think the same way as I do...
And I think that this construction suits for making weapons better than a campfire.
Did I already "overload" the game? -) Or should I countinue?

So, any help withanimated animal/human models?</STRONG>

I like the forge idea, I tried adding glass at one point.
But its when you get into unbalanced stuff like guns and swords that it really makes the game unfun, like the crossbow in the game already.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 17, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »

If you make the crossbow to have reloading time like 5 seconds, it's not that unbalanced.
Also sjungle crawlers move fast behind trees and kill you even faster, they just tear you apart. So only lucky jumping and shooting can save you against one or maximum two.

It's the question of gameplay imbalance, not items. You can always give special pros an cons for every kind of item and this will make the game smoother.
Also I don't think you can make guns by your hands that easily on wild island so I have just 1 pistol (for now) as a trophy in special place (and it looks like it should be there... and it didn't help it's owner so you'de better decide if you want it or not).

I don't have all the island of "hardcore", there're quiet places but also there're deadly places such as my randomly-generated jungle which take about 1 sec of computer time when you sleep to regenerate again and I like to try to passstealthily through them (not to run, it's usually death  :)).

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Delamore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 17, 2008, 06:36:00 pm »

Anyone who wants to discuss modding/mapping or anything Stranded related, I've chosen just to use one IRC channel for the 3 forums rather than 3.
New network: irc.synirc.com  New Channel: #Stranded

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 17, 2008, 06:49:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by Rabek Jeris:
<STRONG>I found this a few weeks ago... it ended up being the first game in a long, long time that I would play for an entire day off. I had a blast loading up a random map and building a little self-sustaining fortress to keep me safe from the lions. This is an excellent game, in my mind... though, I am probably biased, as I also love survival games, and there is a saddening lack of them in existance. Speaking of, does anyone else know of any games like this?</STRONG>

There is also Survival:The Ultimate Challenge by Activision Value
Not bad.

Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Delamore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 17, 2008, 07:14:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by martinuzz:
<STRONG>

There is also Survival:The Ultimate Challenge by Activision Value
Not bad.</STRONG>

We need more information on this.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 18, 2008, 08:10:00 am »

I experimentd a bit and ended with this (menu at the furnace)
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 18, 2008, 10:07:00 am »

Here's Island Quest 0.4
It doesn't require the vanilla game, so you can just download and unpack it.
It lacks a lot of features I'm going to implement but is has base terrain and feature placement.
I indicatd many landmarks (not all though, i.e. I forgot to show the mushroom circle and some other nice features) and resources on map for easier test-play. It's not supposed to be that easy in final version, where you'll need to find a way to understand natives and you will know the map from village elder only; also there's already a map which will be supposed to be avaliable but you should kill a monster to get it. And resources won't be marked either.
For now when you sleep and wake up in the morning don't forge to destroy crates, they have useful items and some starter food.
Also I've made a way to "cheat" - if you dive into the water near your crash site you'll see 3 caves near the coast underwater and they will have a map and an arbalest with 30 bolts. Arbalest may flow up on the water surface sometimes, I didn't fix it yet =).  Also bolts are hard to see, but they are definitely there (you'll see a bolt end in the sand).
Try it, tell me your suggestions and test new smithing system (you still can make a hammer from stone+stick, but other weapons should be smithed at the furnace, also you should use "iron ore" near the furnace to get the "iron bar").
You'll have a free iron bar and a free iron ore from crate. I suggest you to make a pickaxe and a spade when you have a chance. You'll need a spade to dig the wells and find some roots/mushrooms (good source of food) and you'll use a pickaxeto mine ore (now you can't get the ore without pickaxe except random "iron ore" items which are very rare).
Also note that it's vry hard to get a rock without pickaxe now. I wanted to add "pain" when you hit the rock, but didn't do it because it's too "hardcore".
Also note that palms now can provide you not only with leaves but with bark too.
I've modded other things like fishing (in vanilla with fishing>500 you stopped gaining starfishes/seaweed but now I made it that with fishing>500 you get your guaranteed fish like before PLUS random chance to get clam/starfish/seaweed).

Play, test, suggest.
LINK

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Fenrir

« Reply #127 on: May 18, 2008, 10:45:00 am »

*appears*

It's a shame that the documentation describing what all the script functions do is in German.

*vanishes*

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: May 18, 2008, 11:16:00 am »

You've always been here, haven't you?  You never left...

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: Cthulhu ]

Shoes...

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: May 18, 2008, 11:41:00 am »

You can use something like google translator so it's not that hard.

P.S. I was on irc channel and got this:

quote:

*** Greymario cheated, got here using a self-made link

What was that?

▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: May 18, 2008, 12:03:00 pm »

This does the trick nicely for translation, but doesn't do syntax, or the more obscure words, so there's still quite a bit of guesswork.
Shoes...

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: May 18, 2008, 12:28:00 pm »

Anyone have an idea on how to make the various types of mushrooms spawn near trees when the player sleeps?

I'm trying to make a bit of a marsh map. With lots of fungus.

[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

GreyMario

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: May 18, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »

Use a spawncontrol info with the All X Days set to 1 and Instant Active set to 1 as well.

Deon: holy crap how do I access the map testing feature

[ May 18, 2008: Message edited by: GreyMario ]

t''s not illegal. The government just doesn''t want you doing it.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: May 18, 2008, 01:21:00 pm »

Use spawn controller. You can see my map there're some custom scripts and there's a jungle which spawns after the first night and before there's just a marsh.
(I made this "random" jungle because it makes really nice cluttered biome with a lot of features randomized so I don't think that it was necessary to be placed by hand).
Also things respawn not after you slept but at 0:00 AM, I use this for many objects in my map (you arrive at 23:55).
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: May 18, 2008, 04:55:00 pm »

Another survival game is called Lost in Blue for the DS. Similar to this in that you make items by using other items but far easier. The only problem is that while billed as a survival game, about halfway thru survival becomes almost trivial once you start stockpiling jerky and it becomes a puzzle game to get off the island. The worst of the puzzles is a maze that changes every time you go thru it. Optimally you only need to go through it three times I think but plan on wasting alot of time going back and forth. Still it was an interesting game.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 25