Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Reclaimation  (Read 1115 times)

bubba4399

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Reclaimation
« on: November 11, 2008, 08:38:31 pm »

so my pride and joy fortress fell to pieces. a miner drowned with her baby while creating a well and it caused the infamous downward spiral of tantrums that led to the eventual death of all 234 of my dwarves. However, the fortress was still good, the best ive ever made, so i went to reclaim it.

I got 7 dwarves to reclaim with, and immediately set them to work. It has been a year and i have not yet received any immigrants. Could this be because my fortress has not yet created any new wealth? all my dwarves have been doing so far is cleaning up the mess made in my absence.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Reclaimation
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 09:10:41 pm »

Holy cow.  234 dwarves?  All dead from one tantrum spiral?  7 reclaimers?

Well, I have seen the first year go by without any migrants, then get some on the next wave for no discernible reason.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

(name here)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 09:19:21 pm »

The first year ALWAYS goes without migerants. The survival of the dwarven caravan causes them to show.

Also, That's a pretty impressive tantrum spiral. did somthing blow up a ton of masterworks at once too?
Only in Dwarf Fortress would you try to catch a mermaid to butcher her and make trophies out of her bones 

Dadamh

• Bay Watcher
  • !!world!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 09:23:13 pm »

Why in the heck do you have to come in with seven reclaimers?  Normally you get on the order of 70.

Good luck with the reclaim.  You'll start getting migrants eventually.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 09:25:30 pm »

i wish you had recorded that tantrum spiral, then set it to awesome music.

bubba4399

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 09:37:24 pm »

i took a looooong time.

basically i had set a meeting zone only one square big, and the only production i had going was my food which took up like 10 dwarves. So i let everyone else socialize to become ultra mighty super agile legendary dwarves. However, they all became super duper best friends in the process so once a couple died it set em all off.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 11:43:45 pm »

Disallowing breeding is a good idea for this very reason. Babies often fall into beer barrels, the magma forge etc and die and this crap always happens

Building a time out room with ample supplies of food and booze and fantastic (but not masterwork) furniture and locking the offending dwarves in is a good idea

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2008, 12:00:13 am »

Waaaaaiiiiiiit.... dwarves can drop their babies????

BradB

• Bay Watcher
  • I hate this site, it keeps me from playing!
    • View Profile
    • An awesome gaming news ticker, woweee!
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2008, 12:09:14 am »

If her name is Britney, and she's a speardwarf she will drop her baby, several times in fact.

8)

Ezuku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2008, 12:21:40 am »

Britney has been ecstatic lately. She has attended rehab lately. She has lipsynched on stage recently. She has slept without a proper room recently. She made a friend recently. She has admired her own fine baby lately. She has been tired of drinking the same old booze lately. She dropped her own baby lately. She was distressed by injury to her baby. She is happy to be free. She needs alcohol to get through the working day.

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 05:14:58 am »

Waaaaaiiiiiiit.... dwarves can drop their babies????

I've had this happen, I think it was when either a) due to changing "dwarves can go outside" to "military go outside" or b) when I drafted the mother.
She dropped the baby ... off the 1-square-wide bridge she was standing on.

Baby landed in a cul de sac, I found her there much month later (starving and with a broken arm) - a tree grew in the (1 square wide) passage, apparently neither the baby or the mother could get past the tree. (This was in .38c)
Once the tree was gone, Mom picked the baby up and fed it; the arm stayed broken until the baby became a child seasons later.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 05:17:27 am by Samyotix »