Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: why,why why????  (Read 2453 times)

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
why,why why????
« on: November 11, 2008, 12:22:05 pm »

why do my dwarves randomy drop objects everywhere and then dont pick them up?

also when im building something why do the go down to my 15th Z level where im currently digging and has lots of that stone rather than take the stone next to them or the ones in the srockpiles?
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: why,why why????
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2008, 12:32:11 pm »

Dwarves aren't known for being exceptionally bright...

Skid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2008, 12:38:04 pm »

It's because they go to get the stone that is closest horizontally to them without considering z-levels at all.  So they'll clear out the column of stone above and below their workshop instead of the more reasonable sphere.
Playing a cheesemaker in an average Fortress 'round here would be. Freaking. Terrifying.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2008, 12:41:06 pm »

Give them chests and cabinets in their rooms and it might help, otherwise you'll have to burn it away with magma or a pet soul of fire

Dwarves do not think Z. they check nearest X&Y for an object and if it is only 2 X to the side they will think of it as the nearest, even if it lies 5 Z up and a long way to walk

-Ninjad-

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2008, 12:42:36 pm »

or a pet soul spirit of fire

Thought it was proven catching them was impossible...

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2008, 12:51:42 pm »

Pure adamantine mech&cage might be possible but yes, the possibility is miniscule.
But the attempt would have been amusing

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2008, 12:58:35 pm »

1) Give them cabinets in their rooms, and they should drop things there.  Soldiers who are wrestling are different.

2) Because z-levels are ignored in determining path distance.  It'll get fixed.  Eventually.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

galmud

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2008, 01:18:17 pm »

Dwarves store some of their stuff in cabinets and coffers in their rooms. But some stuff is just left on the floor. In my current fortress for some reason my champion marksdwarf decided to take off his pants in the bar and just leave them there. Now he parades around bottomless

As a temporary solution you can hide the items cluttering up your fortress. select the item and press h and it disappears from your view (not the dwarves view)

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2008, 01:31:58 pm »

Pure adamantine mech&cage might be possible but yes, the possibility is miniscule.
But the attempt would have been amusing

No, I thought the ceiling falling had no effect on them as well.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2008, 04:39:58 pm »

1) Give them cabinets in their rooms, and they should drop things there.  Soldiers who are wrestling are different.

2) Because z-levels are ignored in determining path distance.  It'll get fixed.  Eventually.

This. However they don't always drop their stuff into the cabinets, but it helps a lot regardless.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2008, 09:20:16 am »

if i build a cabinet in atleast one room every dwarf in the fortress will go there and check it out and wont work at all.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Samyotix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2008, 09:37:27 am »

Hm, there's different views on this ...

a) Room size
Some players use 2x1 rooms, do not make any clothing, and a after some years have a fortress full of nudists with worthless rooms (but a legendary dining hall to keep them happy).

After experimenting a lot, I nowadays give all dwarves a 2x2 room (bed, coffer, cabinet), trying to make it so all bedrooms are smoothed, engraved and contain only high-quality furniture... Nobles get much larger rooms later on.

So far, it works: Workers will store extra clothing and items in their coffers and cabinets. Only the military is too dumb - they will only "store owned item" when not activated as military dwarves, so once they reach expert level, you can never make them store clothing they've lost while sparring.

b) random hauling task items all over the place?
If your dwarves keep dropping stuff they're hauling, and rushing off to do something else, I'd say it could help if you try to reduce the distance dwarves have to carry stuff, e.g. between workshops and stockpiles.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 09:39:33 am by Samyotix »

tiresius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2008, 11:29:18 am »

After experimenting a lot, I nowadays give all dwarves a 2x2 room (bed, coffer, cabinet), trying to make it so all bedrooms are smoothed, engraved and contain only high-quality furniture...
  Do you have economy on?  I'm scared of buffing up my dwarves' shacks in case they can't afford my masterful engravings...
"There are no safe paths in this part of the world.  Remember you are over the Edge of the Wild now, and in for all sorts of fun wherever you go." - Gandalf in The Hobbit

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 12, 2008, 12:39:11 pm »

If you place several beds in a single room, and define all of them as bedrooms, room value takes a serious hit. Which can be useful, if you have a load of empty bedrooms no one can afford.

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2008, 05:20:07 pm »

if i build a cabinet in atleast one room every dwarf in the fortress will go there and check it out and wont work at all.
They only check cabinets / chests out if they are placed in an unowned room. Assign the room to someone and that dwarf will be the only one visiting their cabinet.

It's because they go to get the stone that is closest horizontally to them without considering z-levels at all.  So they'll clear out the column of stone above and below their workshop instead of the more reasonable sphere.
They also have a tendancy to grab the most recently-mined stones, regardless of distance. ???
« Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 05:23:11 pm by Skanky »
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday
Pages: [1] 2