Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Multi-Racial Civilizations  (Read 2195 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: Multi-Racial Civilizations
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2008, 04:04:50 pm »

The problem is, that even if we gonna have very different castes / civ, those are _STILL_ part of the same race basically.
IE. We create a new caste of goblins: "trolls", we make them big and strong, but those trolls will breed with the "normal" goblins also.
We won't be able to specify that Caste X should only breed with Caste X.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2008, 04:11:12 pm »

He said that's coming later.

There's a POP_RATIO tag you can stick in the caste.  Dwarves are 50/50, so it doesn't occur.  There isn't currently a way to make two different separated breeding groups within a creature, mostly because of the world gen headaches, but I'll do it later (likely not for this release).  You can have multiple male/female castes, but they'll all breed with any other caste that has the complementary token.

You could always give trolls a no-gender caste.  They'd never breed, but they'd still be born from other goblins periodically.

The line between castes and symbiotic creatures will definitely get blurred, but it seems like multiracial civs might be a better and more flexible way of handling the goblin/troll thing, anyway.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2008, 04:16:16 pm »

Oh, somehow I've missed that. Thanks for the info Footkerchief. That is pure awesomeness..it's a shame that we won't have it in the next release, but ah well. Patience is a virtue afterall.  :)

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2008, 12:36:16 am »

Maybe gobbos do something to the dwarf children they snatch, that turns them into trolls?
For they would be your masters.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2008, 11:33:56 am »

I can imagine dwarves just telling everyone to bugger off because they aren't in and closing all the gates.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.
Pages: 1 [2]