Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16

Author Topic: No more invincible forts  (Read 23594 times)

texmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: No more invincible forts
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 12:58:49 am »

That's what we need, more ways to have your fort flooded and be unable to do anything about it. Sounds massively irritating. Not to mention how unsightly those tunnels would be
Other than being stupid and doing it yourself? My dwarfs have never flooded anything. I've never come close to losing. Thats no fun :(

How would they even know where to dig?
sound

You don't need magma swimming tunnelers to make sieges challenging...
It would be fun though. Given these 2 facts:
- Dwarves and goblins are known to be expert tunnellers (they live underground).
- Tunneling has always been a part of seiges in our own world.
Its fairly obvious that tunneling should really be a part of sieges. You should be able to hear where they are and reactr against them in some way though. underground battles would be cool. Underground networks of water defences: 'flood B section now!'

Quote from: Steely Glint
To defeat doors, sieges need more trolls... seriously, I've never seen a troll.
yes! I've never seen a troll either :/

But surely the most obvious step:
Less uber dwarfs. Half my dwarfs are superdwarven champions before they even get near a goblin.. wth is that about? And all the goblins have managed to train is the odd hero? My super dwarfs are 2 a penny dullness :(

texmith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2008, 01:00:03 am »

oops. double posted it :/

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2008, 11:44:33 am »

Just a reminder:  Saying you don't want a creature type or technology in the game is a poor excuse.

Every critter is in the raws, and 'digger' as a tag could easily be removed.

Or, if Barbie's Malibu Mansion is really what you're looking for, just take out all the hostile races.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2008, 11:51:43 am »

Why would your reputation decline? Successfully holding out against a siege should be a great success, and making your enemies give up should be considered almost a victory.

Though I could see what you're talking about happening in other ways. The dwarves would lose happiness because they would be under constant stress because they're under siege. Caravans and migrants wouldn't come at all while you're under siege because they'd get attacked.
The reputation would decline, because a dwarven fortress that can't get rid of a siege is a shame for all dwarvenkind. Ever heard of warrior's pride? Also, would you want to migrate to a fort that is cut off from the rest of the world as soon as a handful of goblins with clubs appear on it's doorstep?

But yeah, I like the idea about poisoning freshwater and throwing burning stuff down the airducts. I think both freshwater and airducts will become important in the future.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2008, 01:59:17 pm »

You know those goblins would just manage to set themselves on fire and fall down the vents right?

Grumman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2008, 02:36:53 pm »

The reputation would decline, because a dwarven fortress that can't get rid of a siege is a shame for all dwarvenkind. Ever heard of warrior's pride?
Who do you think they are, a bunch of humans? If anything, I think it would be more like the end of The Fantastic Mr. Fox, with the dwarfs laughing at the stupid goblins waiting outside in the cold, while they are living a life of luxuary with everything they need in their fortress.

zagibu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2008, 03:48:44 pm »

Yeah, it's possible to see it that way. So, caravan ambushes, destruction of flora and fauna, freshwater poisoning and airduct-tampering should be enough in such a scenario. Maybe they could also send rat swarms down the airducts, or some other sort of small swarm-type animals.
99 barrels of beer in the pile
99 barrels of beer!
If some dwarves know the way to the pile
0 barrels of beer in the pile!

Skynet 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Rogue AI
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2008, 05:51:56 pm »

You know those goblins would just manage to set themselves on fire and fall down the vents right?

Either way, you get a bunch of burning, rotting corpses in your air system, it doesn't make much of a difference if it's a cow or a goblin. Anyway, one problem with the vent idea is that you could just build a single, large 3x3 tile vent that kept all your air clean, then build a 15 z-level chimney above it, and the goblins couldn't do anything about it.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 12, 2008, 06:52:10 pm »

Anyway, one problem with the vent idea is that you could just build a single, large 3x3 tile vent that kept all your air clean, then build a 15 z-level chimney above it, and the goblins couldn't do anything about it.

I think, as someone mentioned, that it should be possible to build an invincible fort. If (as above) you manage to make a magma-surrounded obsidian fortress that is self-sufficient and (now) with a chimney for air, in some sense you deserve to be able to laugh at the goblins as they stand ineffectually outside. The difference is that constructing such a fort is quite a bit more difficult than the current "dig a hole, build a drawbridge" method. I (at least) am going for more difficulty, not insurmountable difficulty.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 12, 2008, 08:06:03 pm »

Simple solution.
Wizard shows up and starts turning statues into dwarf-smashing stone golems.
Metal golems are even stronger.

The good news?
Send out a squad to fight through his guard and kill the wizard, and all the statues revert.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

unobtaniumman

• Bay Watcher
  • Stop squashing Mr. Saturn!
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 12, 2008, 10:40:09 pm »

I don't want to see goblins do this since it'd make little sense but it seems very characteristic of humans

Yeah...uh... as a human, I find that very flattering. Go team U!
Time Kitten: Brown oceans are typically blotched with red for no apparent reason. I say asthetics.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 12, 2008, 10:45:08 pm »

If you're gonna pull shit like that, you may as well use the (oh so appropriate) old standby:  Rocks fall, everyone dies.

LumenPlacidum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 13, 2008, 10:20:45 am »

If you're gonna pull shit like that, you may as well use the (oh so appropriate) old standby:  Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Whoa, whoa, don't make fun.  I think a wizard showing up and turning all my statues into enemies is *amazingly awesome*.  It's even better than a necromancer showing up and raising all of my dead from their graves to devour the living, since I always put statues in the important parts of my fortress, with more statues where there are more dwarves.  Admittedly, this isn't necessarily the best place for this suggestion, but it's cool nonetheless.

Earthquake Damage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 13, 2008, 10:59:04 am »

A bit harsh, I'll admit.  My apologies.

Still, I figure if he has the power to turn your statues into golems (the implication being that he can do it pretty much all at once or at least from a great distance, since if he could physically reach them all you have bigger security problems than Mr. Wizard), then he doesn't really need the golems to kill you.

Statue golems aren't a terrible idea, though.  I'd rather see them as possessed by evil spirits because you built your fort in an evil region.  As a random event, it's retarded.  As a reaction to something specific you've done to draw the spirits' attention, it's awesome.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 13, 2008, 11:08:08 am »

Statues turning to live, that's great indeed. There should be some limitations, depending on the circumstances and  the caster - all statues may be a bit much. Though at other times, why not create elementals out of a piece of unmined rock?
Statues could also just turn into a living version of what they depict. And you thought dragon statues were cool :)
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 16