Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16

Author Topic: No more invincible forts  (Read 23555 times)

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
Re: No more invincible forts
« Reply #195 on: November 18, 2008, 01:00:41 am »

My thoughts on teleportation are this:

If anything can teleport, it better have a damn good reason for being able to.

That means a teleporting entity should have mega-beast status or higher. That, or the creature is designed to piss you off. (Gremlins, anyone?)

Special exceptions for alternative modes of travel do exist. We already have fliers and swimmers, and we'll have climbers in the future, too. What if muck creatures could pass freely through soil? What if ghostly beings could pass through solid objects for a short time? We can't just consider sieges the only threat here. Before long with the next major release, it's implied we'll be getting a great deal of our surprise visitors back - and new ones, too.

You know what I would like to see on an evil map? A monster that shows up out of nowhere when blood gnats and knuckle worms reach a certain concentration in your fortress that appears as a humanoid made out of them. Knocking off pieces of it or killing it just causes swarms of bugs to appear, which will reform into the creature several times over the coming weeks before it finally decides to fuck off and leave your fortress alone. Not only does it 'teleport' into your fortress, its coming is conditional on your vermin level.
A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: November 18, 2008, 02:10:14 am »

Also, creatures that don't need to breathe, eat, drink, etc could survive in the walls if they teleported there

I imagine their supple (in)organic flesh might have a touch of trouble co-existing with solid granite. :P

However, your point about scouting reminds me of an interesting thought I had. In a recent fortress of mine, I was ambushed by elves in my second spring. As this was an outdoor town, I had absolutely no defense. So I drafted all seven of my dwarves and sent them at the enemy, driving them off with only one casualty, if memory serves. Just for fun, though, I copied the save to see what would happen if I left them as civillians. Unsurprisingly, I got my ass kicked, but only lost three dwarves before the elves called it a day and went home. Only one of their twelve or so ambushers had died. This begged the question of why they even bothered attacking in the first place, and inspired the train of thought I'm about to share with you.

In a game as complex as DF, we should not be looking at balance, but rather at motives. Balance is desirable, yes, but balance for its own sake is bound to feel forced and arbitrary. Instead, conditions in the world should encourage behaviour from both the player and AI to gravitate towards a balanced solution, Le Chatelier-style. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Right now, ambushes and sieges only really differ in size and stealth. Both simply seek to kill as many dwarves as possible before suffering enough casualties to want to retreat. Ideally, they would act differently based on their goals.

Ambushes, being  stealthy, hit-and-run squads, would have short-term objectives. If a site is poorly defended, kill as many inhabitants as possible and steal whatever's not bolted down.  If it is more heavily guarded, attempt to scout out its defenses while disrupting the outdoor workforce if possible. Either way, retreat at the first sign of superior opposition.

Sieges, on the other hand, should have goals related to the long-term welfare of your fortress. In particular, they should want to claim the fortress for themselves, but since that's likely impossible, they will want to put pressure on the inhabitants and keep them from leaving.

This leads to the player's motives, or rather the lack thereof. Under the current farming and brewing mechanics, there's hardly any need to ever leave the security of your fortress, except perhaps for wood; therefore, a siege that keeps you in is accomplishing very little. Posts in thisvarious threads have suggested ventilation and running water as potential weak points, among other things, and these are valid ideas. But think beyond the fortress gates: A siege is preventing you from leaving the map. The Army Arc will lets us do battle in foreign grounds at our leisure, but it might not be long before we have a strong motive to send armies out for our own good. I refer, of course, to the County Arc.

Let's say you're a barony capital, which most fortresses are around the time sieges start. Right now it's just another set of annoying mandates and that goddamn economy. In the future, however, it may entail receiving tribute from the surrounding countryside in exchange for the protection of your armies. Sieges, therefore, would trap you in the capital. If you don't meet the enemy in the field and break the siege, not only do you lose your income, but you risk being demoted, with all the mood penalties that may bring about. Disgruntled ex-baron, anyone?

I'm not saying that sieges shouldn't have ways of crossing your trenches, busting your walls, and disarming your traps. But an elegant solution is much more satisfying then a silver bullet, no matter how awesome that bullet may be.

tl;dr version: The County Arc will make people leave the security of their fortresses.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: November 18, 2008, 07:37:41 am »

Let us not forget about "Travel Teleportation" where a creature can travel via teleportation in Travel mode!

What would be the point in that?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: November 18, 2008, 07:48:28 am »

Let us not forget about "Travel Teleportation" where a creature can travel via teleportation in Travel mode!

Currently, other then the ability to ignore travel times, which depending on the frame rate can be a savior in it of itself, not much.

However with a few additions, teleportation over the travel map could become a great resource. Especially for armies.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: November 18, 2008, 07:59:47 am »

Currently, other then the ability to ignore travel times, which depending on the frame rate can be a savior in it of itself, not much.

However with a few additions, teleportation over the travel map could become a great resource. Especially for armies.

Sounds interesting, especially the army part. The question is: wouldn't that be imbalanced, if armies could teleport on the travel map?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: November 18, 2008, 08:02:48 am »

Well Dwarf Fortress was never supposed to be perfectly balanced anyhow...

So the better question is if it would break the game, rather then if it would unbalance it.

I could see it giving you and an enemy a distinct advantage, but I don't believe it would be enough to take over the world alone.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2008, 08:05:41 am by Neonivek »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: November 18, 2008, 08:06:40 am »

You know what I would like to see on an evil map? A monster that shows up out of nowhere when blood gnats and knuckle worms reach a certain concentration in your fortress that appears as a humanoid made out of them. Knocking off pieces of it or killing it just causes swarms of bugs to appear, which will reform into the creature several times over the coming weeks before it finally decides to fuck off and leave your fortress alone. Not only does it 'teleport' into your fortress, its coming is conditional on your vermin level.

This.
Shoes...

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: November 18, 2008, 08:13:47 am »

This.

Yeah that sounds epic indeed, but oh boy...coding in something like that..probably wouldn't be easy.  ;D
PS. I think there is a creature like this in a horror movie, but I forgot the title of the movie.  :-X

Well Dwarf Fortress was never supposed to be perfectly balanced anyhow...

So the better question is if it would break the game, rather then if it would unbalance it.

I could see it giving you and an enemy a distinct advantage, but I don't believe it would be enough to take over the world alone.

Yeah, perhaps if Toady will code in a detailed magic system, armies controlled by powerful wizards could have this "ability".  :)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: November 18, 2008, 08:16:15 am »

!!

It didn't occur to me until you said that, once the game is farther in its development, the player could be said wizard...

I knew this stuff all along, but the connotations just occurred to me.  Making your own army of creatures you designed, destroying cities, and eventually taking over the world.  Things other people probably thought about a long time ago are making me excited.
Shoes...

vooood

• Bay Watcher
  • Prophet
    • View Profile
    • Amalis of Daloth (TBA)
« Reply #204 on: November 18, 2008, 08:25:25 am »

<cut>

In a game as complex as DF, we should not be looking at balance, but rather at motives. Balance is desirable, yes, but balance for its own sake is bound to feel forced and arbitrary. Instead, conditions in the world should encourage behaviour from both the player and AI to gravitate towards a balanced solution, Le Chatelier-style. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

This is actually quite true. Most games are balanced and thus losing the last parts of their realism while trying to give the player every possible chance to win. Since this is not always fun and "losing is fun" is a sentence we all know motivation is quite good. If it motivates a goblin force to attack your small village you just started it would be quite stupid to have them move on "due to balance". Accept the fact you'll die and start over (maybe somewhere close where you can then kill those goblins with your army (incoming army arc)).
Music was my first love, and it will be my last.
Music of the future, and music of the past.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: November 18, 2008, 08:28:14 am »

Not to mention there could be tons of enemies that appear inside your fortress if a certain condition is met or that stem naturally from your defensive strategies.

You cover your base in Lava? well perhaps eventually something larger then a fireimp attacks! This happens whether or not your base is indestructable, but it does mean that even an invincible fortress may have to deal with an attack or two.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: November 18, 2008, 10:25:47 am »

Not to mention there could be tons of enemies that appear inside your fortress if a certain condition is met or that stem naturally from your defensive strategies.

You cover your base in Lava? well perhaps eventually something larger then a fireimp attacks! This happens whether or not your base is indestructable, but it does mean that even an invincible fortress may have to deal with an attack or two.
IMHO the most broken thing about the game right now is the disconnect between additional features and additional difficulty.  Playing the game on a 'harder' setting is inversely related to how much of the game you use.

This is the kind of thing that starts to correct that.  (I.E. IMHO 'easy' mode should be playing on a plain with no features whatsoever, and the more features you get in your site, the harder it is, but the more things you can do.)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: November 18, 2008, 10:36:18 am »

It is one of the things that MUST change in the future Granite. Currently the game doesn't adjust enough to your world.

If I made a world almost encased in ice, fire, or darkness Id expect that the atmosphere of the world would have changed on a fundemental Level.

Currently, not so much... You go odd and the world gets less interesting instead of more. (You would think a world of nightmares would make a more rough, hardedged, and paranoid civilisations where each citizen feels the need to pick up a sword... Currently, not so much)

Have to cut this short...

Captain Failmore

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://chairangaem.blogspot.com
« Reply #208 on: November 18, 2008, 10:46:59 am »

Another thing to go along with the burrowing and teleporting business:

Enemies that don't have full digging abilities but do have an obstruction-destroying ability that affects land.

Take the Bronze Colossus for example. When our good friend from Rhodes comes to visit, I don't expect to see him burrowing into my fortress, but being able to punch holes in the mountainside with his mighty metal fist does seem quite appropriate. If a swing of his arm can send trees toppling and make individual squares of rock explode into dust, that would be impressive. With effort and proper encouragement, he might bash his way through a few tiles of rock and into my stronghold or tear down defensive walls on his way there, but he can't dig stairways and ramps, won't actively dig tunnels (any tunneling is a byproduct of persistent attack, not purposeful digging), and may not even be able to attack surfaces above or below himself. (That would be rather foolish, digging the ground out from under himself, especially if you consider how the real Colossus of Rhodes fell.) The same ability could be used to trash workshops, doors, siege works, and what have you.

Another ability to consider:

Enemies that can't fly, but can take flying leaps that cause them to become airborne and move between Z-levels.

Along with climbing, this could make certain wild animals of the dire variety that much more terrifying along with a gallery of other monsters that might benefit from a leaping ability. While this is definitely a more outdoor-friendly mode of travel, if the leaping could be translated into a flying forward vault that doesn't take the creature into a higher Z-level while still rendering them airborne, they could send themselves flying over your motes and trenches and render your pit style defenses useless. Definitely not as game-breaking as teleportation, but not a fully fledged flight ability either.

Lastly:

More stealth enemies capable of avoiding traps.

Assorted chameleonic fiends come to mind. To have a rare and powerful creature stalking around your fortress undetected and suddenly start snapping necks would be a big deadly surprise, especially because they didn't have to cheat or destroy a single thing to get in. Your fortress could be open for business, guards patrolling around, the savage wilds cleared of any known threats, and suddenly the shit hits the fan and you have a minute to respond before this thing starts cornering and killing people left and right. When the bloody mayhem is over with, imagine your surprise as you find not a single trap was fired, not a single door was broken down, not a single hole was dug, and not a single dwarf managed to notice until it was too late.
A HREF="http://chairangaem.blogspot.com">LOLCHAIR ADVENTURES

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: November 18, 2008, 10:55:18 am »

IMHO the most broken thing about the game right now is the disconnect between additional features and additional difficulty.  Playing the game on a 'harder' setting is inversely related to how much of the game you use.

This is the kind of thing that starts to correct that.  (I.E. IMHO 'easy' mode should be playing on a plain with no features whatsoever, and the more features you get in your site, the harder it is, but the more things you can do.)

DF is as hard as you want it to be right now. This concept is excellent imo. Having more features doesn't means that the difficulty of the game is harder. Having more features = ++ to the diversity of the gameplay. I don't think that this is a bad thing actually.
If you want to play on harder setting, you can easily modify the RAWs.
Now if Toady will ever implement stuff like teleporters, or tunnelers/diggers, that will enchance the gameplay and the difficulty also. Perhaps features like those should be turned off by default in the vanilla game? Anyway I am just theorizing, but lot of people wouldn't like to have a "raised diff. level", I am pretty sure about that. [Obviously not me, but even some older players were complaining about diggers/tunnelers for example]
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16