Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 37

Author Topic: (Succession) Speargroove nano fortresss,  (Read 71740 times)

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
Re: (Succession) Speargroove nano fortresss - needs more players, join now!
« Reply #300 on: April 12, 2009, 02:04:40 pm »

darn, and i actually had an obsidian farm ready for the switch throw as well.  Well, sorry about all that not being there again, if I was back just a little sooner the infascructure for a cast obsidian fortress would have been available.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: April 12, 2009, 04:21:49 pm »

Wait...

Do you mean an obsidian factory, or a mold for obsidian that we could make a fortress in?

This fortress is not above such contraptions being built.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: April 12, 2009, 04:47:07 pm »

wait... you have a magma pipe AND running water in the same tile?

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Eagle

• Bay Watcher
  • [LARGE_ROAMING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: April 12, 2009, 04:58:04 pm »

wait... you have a magma pipe AND running water in the same tile?

They have 1 or 2 layers of aquifer.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: April 12, 2009, 05:09:39 pm »

oh yeah!

nice foresight!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: April 12, 2009, 10:27:22 pm »

Check out the designation screen on the level with Duke's tomb... it's damn creepy

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: April 12, 2009, 10:44:31 pm »

You mean the mismatch of warm and wet stone?

Indeed, a strange layer. Makes the location even more perfect.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: April 12, 2009, 10:50:15 pm »

Hey you better not get me killed! Or else...

Current Foreman cancels play! Interrupted by Dwarf Ghost!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: April 13, 2009, 12:29:11 am »

Autumn

11th Limestone
A hobgoblin caravan approaches.  As I start looking for trade goods, I notice that we have a bizarre abundance of anvils.

12th Limestone
Almost simultaneously, a dwarven caravan approaches.  I'm thinking we may need to build a second trade depot.  I'm also expecting a large ambush soon.  Perhaps the attackers will get a chance to see this fully armed and operational magma pump.

14th Limestone
For two seasons now, I've been telling Atir the blacksmith to forge some steel platemail. 
"I don't know how to do that" he says,
"Learn!"
"I'm too busy putting stuff in my bag"
"Stop putting stuff in your fucking bag and make me some armor!"
"Look, there's merchants outside.  I need to. . . haul some trade goods."
"Ugh. . . dammit!  Whatever, fuck it!"
(OOC.  I really wish I could take people off that duty).

Oh and surprise surprise, an ambush!  Calling all dwarves inside before I unleash the final weapon.

15th Limestone
With one hand on the drawbridge lever and the other on the doomsday lever, I see Endok the craftsdwarf try and escape the chaos dwarf menace, only to get caught in a pincer by a second set of chaos dwarves, and it is at that point that I pull the lever.

As the lava floods the field, I realize that a bunch of woodworkers cut down trees, and as the lumber burns, I know that what I have done is irrevocable.

20th Limestone
The lava finally starts to close in on the chaos dwarf menace.  Good god does this stuff move slowly.  Two dwarves are engulfed, and then the other dwarves realize that "Holy shit, lava is hot!"

Movie here

23rd Limestone
With the enemy dealt with, it is now time to test my magma drainage system.  I noticed taht as the lava drains, it has a tendency to take stuff from the surface with it.  I should add some grates to deal with that problem.

4th Sandstone
The lava is draining, but it is a very slow process.  I will need to make a bigger slot for the lava to flow into.

Movie here

10th Sandstone
The merchants wish to leave.  They ask me to extend the drawbridge so they may head home.  I point outside and suggest that they wait a bit.

12th Sandstone
The lava has stopped draining.  We now need to wait for the rest to solidify.  Somehow, the merchants have found path through the lava.  My present experience with our lava weapon has left me with some ideas on how to improve it, namely a lava irrigation system to get lava to the front of the fortress more quickly.

26th Sandstone
Oh my god, I think I've done it!

YES!  I have finally buried everyone!

3rd Timber
While digging out a tunnel, Toonyman dug into the side of the of the magma pipe.  He was incinerated instantly.  I mourn for the loss of a former leader and great miner.

(OOC:  Sorry about killing your guy, Toonyman.  I kept telling people to mine out areas near the magma pipe and your guy picked the wrong place to dig)

23rd Timber
Another dwarf, Solon, wandered too close to the magma pipe today.  They only stepped in foot-deep, but the burns scaled their body and eventually led to deadly injuries.

Winter

1st Moonstone
Today I walked into our metal storage area and decided we have too much damn copper.  I spent a few hours drawing up some plans and now I have the dwarves working on my new solid copper tower, complete with bedroom.

3rd Moonstone
Unfortunately, it appears that my lava irrigation plan cannot happen as I desire it to.  As I tell the men where to place the stones, they say that they cannot place them there.  Something about an ancient law about our borders.  I must now find another irrigation route.

15th Moonstone
Goblin Ambush!  Mayor Zigzag was caught outside and punted into an unfortunate pool of lava as he struggled for his life.  As the military charges forth, the goblins get caught in cage traps.  The battle was referred to as non-epic.  Sadly, it meant the death of another former ruler.  His engineering talents will be missed.

(OOC:  Dammit!  I don't mean to kill everyone's characters, they just keep being in bad places).

In an unsurprising turn of events, this ambush is only the first of many.  I pull the drawbridge lever as a swarm of golbins approach, but one of our marksdwarves stepped on at the wrong time.  The marksdwarf is not very badly injured, although one of the two babies she carried into combat was killed, and the other one isn't too happy.

Movie here

The other goblins fell into the fortress, where they were introduced to the military and their army of war crabs.  I'm calling the all clear, but I am hesitant to lower the drawbridge.  Once the military can step up, I will lower the drawbridge to reclaim the dead.  A few goblin thieves remain, but our stray diorite guard kills one of them, and the other one decides to take his chances with gravity.  The results were not pretty.

1st Opal
I see all of the Violet Xelic children around me passing out.  It's happened 4 times now.  The autopsies say they died of thirst.  I guess they just don't know how to drink or something.

2nd Opal
A stupid thief is standing outside and scaring all the workers.  I'm sending the spearmen to go and persuade it.

9th Opal
The workers building my new bedroom keep throwing up all over the place.  It's quite disgusting.

16th Opal
A stone detailer burned to death trying to engrave the inside of the magma pipe.  I wish I had noticed, but I kinda figured he'd use common sense about it.  Nobody seems to understand how hot magma is.  I'm guessing that this is why so many dwarves have died here.

24th Opal
Work on my bedroom and the magma irrigation system is nearly complete.  It will be up to the next leader to see if it works as I planned.  There was not enough copper to finish my tower, but all that remained was a chunk of the ceiling,  I decided to make it a skylight.

20th Obisidan
After a long calm.  I finally sentenced the goblins to pay for their crimes.  All of them received death by magma tower.  Victims watched in vengeance, but did not relish in the spectacle.

Well, my year's up.

Map
Save

Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: April 13, 2009, 08:21:16 am »

Oh wow. You actually managed to bury every dead? I didn't think it was possible!
On a side note, what's the max population set to in the inits right now? We should think about raising it to 100 or more one of these days, since part of the challenge was culling the population IIRC.
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: April 13, 2009, 09:06:13 am »

Heh, like we would ever get 100 dwarves alive at one time in that deathtrap.

Also, I posted this little gem late last night on the DFMA entry for this place. Now remember, for some reason there are two different series on this map so confusion can and will be had.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: April 13, 2009, 10:10:27 am »

Hey, who's next? I'll volunteer to go if no one is willing to.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: April 13, 2009, 10:15:21 am »

Falls, what do you mean falls?

Sure, a single cave in could destroy the majority of the fortress, and anything protected from that by the aquifer would be flooded with magma, but that is why we dumped some seeds in the apartments, so a single breeding pare can eventually escape, right?

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: April 13, 2009, 10:30:16 am »

I WANT MAGMA BATH!

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: April 13, 2009, 10:44:07 am »

On a side note, what's the max population set to in the inits right now?
It's 60.  We're starting to reach that every season, but enough people die to stupid things and ambushes that every successor should have at least one migrant waves even without even increasing the population cap.  Furthermore, even with the population at around 60, I'm only getting 50-60 fps (maybe 80 on my tower), and when the lava starts flowing or 2 merchant caravans arrive or a goblin/chaos dwarf/high elf siege erupts, the framerate drops to under 30.  Maybe you'll get something different, but I wouldn't recommend increasing the cap.

Also, I posted this little gem late last night on the DFMA entry for this place. Now remember, for some reason there are two different series on this map so confusion can and will be had.

Actually, there's more like 4 or 5 different versions of this map, as some of them have subtitles such as "Post Duke" and "Speargrove."  I think all of the map files are still in the zipped save file (at least I read a bunch of different years in there) if someone wants to try and reupload the missing years.  Hell, when I get enough time, I might do it.

Also, while this fortress does have a disgusting level of blood on its hands, I'm not certain it will fall so easily.  Boatmurdered's main undoing was the introduction of the economy and the hammerer, who probably was at the head of the fortress-ending riot.

I WANT MAGMA BATH!
You already got one.  You bathed in the magma pipe and promptly burst into flames.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:47:09 am by crash2455 »
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 37