Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37

Author Topic: (Succession) Speargroove nano fortresss,  (Read 71729 times)

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
Re: (Succession) Speargroove nano fortresss - needs more players, join now!
« Reply #285 on: April 08, 2009, 01:33:10 pm »

I would just do it now, I havn't seen this future cat in a couple weeks.

EDIT:  Unless you have anything to say Time Kitten?  *wink* *wink*

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: April 08, 2009, 03:51:53 pm »

She just posted a couple days ago, though she hasn't responded to my PM or any of my posts.  But yeah, I'll start posting things later today or tomorrow.
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #287 on: April 08, 2009, 05:52:13 pm »

um... just violently crumbled three times in a row here... doo dee doo... and I mean instantaniously.want to give a try from my save where it is? That'll give you just under two extra seasons to work with, i think.  I'm trying to re-brush my combat, and it seems that there was a gap made in the walls somewhere that I'm having trouble finding.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: April 08, 2009, 08:38:15 pm »

HOLY CRAP! Chance for an update!

"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: April 08, 2009, 09:29:21 pm »

I'd rather just continue from my save, if you don't mind.  I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do with my turn (so long as I can live through it)

I have completed my first season.  No pics, unfortunately, because my tower is being teh gayz about print screen.  I'll probably play the rest of my turn on my lappy, since it's usually better about that thing (though typically 60% as fast, which gives me more time to write I guess?)

Journals of "Crash Stuntman," On-site Foreman

1st Granite

Arrive on site, only to find site mostly flooded with lava.  Enter later via airdrop.

On my tour of the place, I have been informed that our food stockpiles will last us a fairly long time, considering we have over 900 meals for 55 dwarves.  One less thing to worry about, I suppose.

I don't have much to go by from my predecessor, except for some quite disturbing images rendered in materials I care not to explore the origins of.  There are also a number of levers on the first floor that say things like "MAGMAPUMPLEVER!!!" and  " *insert stone here* bridge operation".  While I'm pretty sure I know what the first one does, I'm not entirely certain about the rest.

I was also informed that somewhere in the magma-flooded wasteland, there are a number of metal items.  I figure that we'll just melt everything down, as sitting under lava for any extended period is probably not key to their integrity.

It also appears that a recent cave-in has demolished a portion of the fortress.  It also appears to have killed all of the miners (?).  Any idlers have been sent to mine out the now useless retaining wall, though some are trying to mine out sections that would cause cave-ins.  I told them to ignore those sections for now and instead build some structures to avoid that for the time being.

I'm also instructing the miners to begin a rescue operation for our trapped dungeon master, who is apparently trapped behind 4 floors of water.  The plan involves digging a new stairwell directly into his room.  He probably won't like it, but it'll save his life.

Speaking of life, the list of dead just keeps going (the body count is somewhere around 750).  For a fortress so small, I'm as impressed as I am afraid for my life.   The graveyard appears to be the architectural achievement of this fortress, and it also appears that there are not enough graves to hold the dead.  I'm putting some men on that job (ugh).

9th Granite

A speardwarf has given birth to a boy.  I'm certain she'll be happy with it until she runs into combat carrying the thing on her shoulders.

15th Granite
The rescue operation was a success.  CreamcornicusmaximusIII was alive, although thirsty.  His room now has a new door leading directly to his bedroom.

It also appears that the miners dug out a wall holding back a small reserve of lava.  It is presently not a major threat, and also appears to be slowly solidifying.

The speardwarf mother bled to death from sparring-related injuries today.  She is survived by her recruit husband and recently born child.  Why do I predict a double-suicide in the
 near future?  Anyway, it's as good a reason as any to deploy my newly constructed coffins.

20th Granite
Coffins have been deployed and we have finally been able to start burying the skeletal remains of previous dwarves.  I'm hoping we can soon bury dwarves that died recently.

I just read that last sentence again.  What the hell is wrong with this place?

15th Slate
The lava is starting to recede from the uppermost level of the fortress.  When it does, we will have the largest supply of iron this side of Mordor.

24th Slate
More coffins deployed, and we still haven't gotten to burying the only recently-dead (which have rotted to skeletons, by the way).  Good god, how big does our fucking graveyard need to be?

3rd Felsite
Despite all the carnage, migrants have decided to arrive.  They are blocked, however, by an abundance of lava between them and the fortress.  Population is now 62.

15th Felsite
Most of the magma has receded from the upper level.  I'm sending the miners to start digging out a drainage canal.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 12:10:43 am by crash2455 »
Think you can brave the cold? How about endless waves of zombies, goblins, and orcs? Check out Talltower the Tall Tower of Ice.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: April 09, 2009, 10:14:09 pm »

Sorry, I just realized that I posted my update as an edit.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #291 on: April 10, 2009, 04:45:49 am »

Heh...

Burying dwarves is never a major priority... Lava is.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: April 10, 2009, 02:27:53 pm »

Unless it is burying dwarves in lava.  That's worth life after life.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 10, 2009, 04:31:51 pm »

This fortress is going a lot slower on my laptop (approx 20-30 fps), so I've just finished early summer.

Summer
9th Hematite
A high elf caravan approaches.  My fellow dwarves seem well versed in this routine as they go straight for the goblin armors and begin taking those to the depot.

With the digging complete, I have commissioned the construction of the glass drainage bridge.

11th Hematite
Ambush!  At the moment it appears to be small, but ambushes never happen alone.

Just as expected, a second challenger approaches. This appears to be a legendary warrior, though his title is so long, my men cannot tell me if he's working for us or the enemy.  For now I will assume the worst.

Ordering all dwarves indoors and keeping one hand on the bridge levers.  With the magma pump currently unavailable (due to drainage problems), I have no choice but to send the miltiary forward.

The men have now reported a third ambush in progress.  The goblins have cut their way through a number of the caravan guards, and I'm not sure how the remainder is going to hold out.   The military slowly approaches.

Oh great.  A bone carver was caught off guard by a high elf and cut down on our magma fields.   We're never going to bury all the bodies from this place.

The military has just arrived.  I am releasing the drawbridge to give the enemy all we've got.

As I watch the battle from the upper floors, I have come to believe that at least one of the elite guardsmen is on our side.

12th Hematite

Goblins come in droves over the drawbridge, only to be struck down by merchant guards and dwarves.

13th Hematite

Alas, the enemy also holds one elite guardsman, and he hath smote ours.  Fortunately, his legendary skills are no match for an arrow through his face.

With this serious injury, the marksdwarves make short work of him, shooting him repeatedly from point-blank range (OOC:  Seriously, they went at this guy Robocop style, but it still took about 10 bolts to take him down).

Following our heroic defeat of the elite guardsman, another marksdwarf was struck down by an elven guard, who decided to turn tail as soon as he came to the trade depot.  Speaking of which, the merchants were scared by the constant goblin attacks and have decided taht they are leaving without trading anything.

Just as the merchants started to pack up their goods, a sentry informs me that chaos dwarves have been spotted just over the horizon.  Not one, but two squads, with some Violet Xelics.  I tell the scavenging dwarves to head inside, but it's too late.  4 good dwarves go down to the chaos dwarf menace, along with one marksdwarf who ran out of ammunition in the last attack.  I'm starting to see why this fortress has such an amazing body count (and why we are quickly running out of graves).

In the middle of a chaos, a dyan-something-something caravan arrives.  I'm not too concerned about it, as another caravan is presently holding out in our depot and a baby has died.  Wait, what?  In the volcano?  Make that 2 babies that just died.

17th Hematite
Alright, the supersaurus merchants have scared off the chaos dwarves now (not before another 2 soldiers fell).  The marksmen are currently picking off the wounded enemies with crossbows and bolts laying around the battlefield.  They've begun unloading their goods and now our dwarves are bringing up any and all trade goods.

Just as I finish writing that last sentence, a human caravan shows up.  I suppose this explains the excess food.  With this many extra guards in front of the fortress, I suppose I should call the guard back.

18th Hematite
The human, dinosaur, and elven caravans have all collided into one truly epic traffic jam.  I'm pretty sure we're not going to get any trading done, and when the traders decide to leave, there's going to be nowhere to go.

20th Hematite
Somehow, the elves escaped and the other 2 sets of merchants started trading.  While the men grab trade goods, I have started a grand project to fix all of the giant holes in the floor.  Following the inital planning stages, I saw a young recruit who looked quite sad.  I asked him what happened, and he informed me that his wife had been killed while sparring and while we were digging fresh graves he watched her corpse rot to bones, and soon after that his son fell into the volcano.  Now I'm sad.

21st Hematite
We finally managed to trade away some garbage damaged clothing for a lot of meat and fish from the dinosaur traders.  The human traders are apparently still unloading (probably due to the fact that all their wagons are still waiting on our bridges).
« Last Edit: April 10, 2009, 04:35:44 pm by crash2455 »

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 12, 2009, 03:17:12 am »

Wow, I really need to remember to not play this when I'm tired.  Following that epic post, here's a mini-update that is pretty non-epic to say the least.

Also, the fortress sped up to about 40 fps.  I'm guessing this is because all of the traders and attackers left.

~~~~~~~~~~~~Mid and Late Summer~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
1st Malachite
Construction on the drainage bridge has been completed.  Now linking up to drainage bridge control, using our stockpile of bauxite mechanisms.

I have also been informed that one of our war dinosaurs has died of old age.  I would mourn for it, but alas, I knew it not.

CreamcornicusmaximusIII has also brought to my attention that he has been locked out of his tomb since it filled up with water.  I tell that it shouldn't be a big issue unless he plans on dying soon.  I laugh about it a bit, but in the back of my mind I know it's not entirely out of the question.

2nd Malachite
Despite all of my planning, I just now came to the realization that my magma drainage system may have some minor problems.  I am tearing down some structures and starting again.  In the interest of time, I have assigned everybody to masonry, telling them that they cannot use the mason's workshops until they are deemed "proficient"

10th Malachite
The humans seem to have given up on attempting to trade, and have now left.  I have just sold off the rest of the destroyed clothes and trinkets for a few metal bars and an indeterminate amount of leather.

17th Malachite
As the workers begin the patch the enormous gaping holes in the floor, I am informed that we are running out of stone.  I am first shocked by this, but then I realize that this place is tiny, and for the first time in my life, I understand that I have to consider stone to be a limited resource.  I assign a number of otherwise useless dwarves to head off to my newly completed glass furnace battery and get cranking on some glass floors.

24th Malachite
With the upper-level cemetary all but full, I am left resorting to planning new catacombs deep, deep down.  Just when I think I have buried everyone.  Nope.  Population is now 54.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 12, 2009, 09:01:35 am »

I never even had a trade traffic jam. Ambushes just slaughtered everything the second they came onto the map. Then the magma got them.

Also, there is actually more steel out there than iron.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 12, 2009, 11:22:08 am »

ROFL, our goods and dwellings will all have to be made of goblin iron!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 12, 2009, 11:55:23 am »

Hell, we could make a tower upwards with all the metal out there.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

crash2455

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 12, 2009, 12:15:29 pm »

You know, that sounds like an awesome idea.  I'ma try and do that.  It'll be. . . it'll be something.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #299 on: April 12, 2009, 01:30:46 pm »

Yes... right into my plans...
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 37