Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37

Author Topic: (Succession) Speargroove nano fortresss,  (Read 71714 times)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: (Succession) Speargroove nano fortresss - needs more players, join now!
« Reply #195 on: February 02, 2009, 08:26:53 pm »

Two dwarves were walking down the hallway nervously, eying the various spears crammed in the hall. They were going to find the one who started this whole mess. He was the only one who could successfully engineer this to all work. After a brief search and a few jabs, they finally found the hatch. Cerol looked at Iden, her eyes filled with terror.
 "It's fine" Iden said, "I'll do this myself." With a brave gulp, she climbed down into the tomb.

The air was hot and balmy. Somebody had metal buckets filled with magma and spread through the room. There was a constant drip from the ceiling, which turned to steam as they vaporized in the buckets. There were wide windows to the tomb, but they were covered in a thin layer of obsidian after they drained the magma. After scraping off the obsidian, the steam made it impossible to see the insides. Thus why they came inside.

Her eyes were growing accustomed to the dank darkness when she spotted the silhouette of the person she was looking for. He was standing on his iron coffin, staring into the steam-covered glass. She froze in terror as he turned around, betraying his madness. Even in the darkness, she could swear his eyes flickered like hot coals as he answered the question she was too scared to ask.

"Yes. Let us begin."

Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Pruvan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 02, 2009, 08:47:07 pm »

I sense incoming epics~
I don't see dicks...  I'd hate to ask people to point them out.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 02, 2009, 08:56:46 pm »

Every healthy fortress ends in insanity!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 02, 2009, 09:00:07 pm »

Alas, Spring shall be posted tomorrow. I'm too tired with magma antics now.

Also, who made the direct link between the lake in the magma pipe and the aquifer? I cannot promise you that I won't feed you to the pipe, but I can promise you it will be unexpected.

But let it be known the pipe WILL refill!
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 02, 2009, 09:03:37 pm »

Oi, it was a desperate attempt to stop the damn volcano from refilling so I could cap it and eventually pump magma to make MAGMA ISLAND!!

YOU CAN'T STOP TOONYMAN THOUGH!!

Flaede

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Moon Creatures.
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 02, 2009, 09:52:43 pm »

has anyone uploaded a map of this? I so want to see what you lot have done with this.
Toady typically doesn't do things by half measures.  As evidenced by turning "make hauling work better" into "implement mine carts with physics".
There are many issues with this statement.
[/quote]

caranha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 03, 2009, 01:01:07 am »

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/map-3929-speargroove

And this are the first few years (I promise to merge all the maps someday before my turn)

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: February 03, 2009, 01:33:03 am »

Day of First Rumbles,

My name is Ingish Zedotdatan, and I'm a legendary mason with a little work in animal caretaking. After the last year, with all the fear and panic about magma and possible flooding, we decided as a fortress we would have the one who started this whole mess without any major problems finish the work the last few leaders have done. We decided to elect Duke as the leader this year. After he finished his year, and the resulting magma flood last year, he has not been the same. He has stayed in his tomb for most of his free time, filling the entrance hall with more and more spears. At first we tried to nick back the spears because it was technically stealing, but after a while we realized the futility of having weapons anyway. We never really fight anybody, and even when we do it is with crossbows. So we let him collect his spears.

After we coaxed him out of his sanctuary, he requested that I take a log of his actions. This was during a few moments when he seemed lucid, so we decided to follow this command. After that he started to mumble about magma pipes and 'restoring her glory.' As nervous as this makes us all, we know he won't flood the place. But anyway, onto my job.

Today he designated all the regions previously filled with magma to be fixed up and made suitable for dwarven living. This included taking down remains of the old magma pipe and expanding some of the stairwells. He also looked at the old limestone cap Toonyman tried to make, and started to mummer insults at it. Then he started to pee on it. Then he tried to eat ones of the doors on it. I'm not quite sure what he wants us to do with it.

Finally, he designated a few walls to be deconstructed. This involved an affair taking most of the afternoon involving him painting said walls with known and unknown insults. I don't even know where he got the paint from.

11th Granite,

Well, a caravan arrived. There were still pools of lava on the ground, so we didn't open the gates for fear of fire. Good news is, if there are any ambushers, we will see the smo-

Sorry about that, seems somebody opened the bridge just as some goblin ambushers arrived. Still, everything worked out fine. We lowered the gate, and several burning nasty things died outside our walls. I would comment on the smell, but after living in a volcanic tube none of us can really smell anymore.

Duke pointed out a kobold thief amid the chaos. Toony came by and commented on the 'cabinets' invading, and suddenly the both of them were babbling to eachother. I'm not even sure they understand eachother or they have the same frequency of crazy.

Well, Duke came up with this one himself. I think he outlined the invaders with green, but it appears he also circled a tree and an anvil as well. I think those are weapons around the sparring grounds, and don't ask me what is eating the corner of the fortress. I think he wants to make a pit underneath the drawbridges.

21st Granite,
 The lever was pulled, and the flood of lava flowed fourth from our walls. Who knows how long it will take for all of this to drain.

Also, our rather dense mayor Zigzag just mandates that flasks be made, and that flasks must not be exported. He may not be as crazy as Duke and Toony, but he sure knew that the magma was released.

4th Felsite,

We rushed outside to claim as much of the valuable steel equipment as we could. After a week or so, duke started to scratch at the drawbridge. We figured that was his sign to stop, so we forbid everything outside and continued with his modifications to the magma pump system. Something about drainage and reclaiming the lake. Also, apparently every lizard must be loaded into a cage somewhere. Dunno why.

Also, migrants. No wonder our leaders are always crazy, we need to choose from the stock that come here willingly. Actually, I would question their willingness to come. I can't, however, as caravans never make it in. Still, who the heck would come here? They can clearly see the puddles of magma, the corpse piles, the limestone tower forever stained by the death beneath it.

Also, Duke made another 'sketch.' Quite tame compared to what he made in who knows what in the meeting hall.

24th Felsite,

It appears the pump tower for the magma has broken somehow. Duke is furious, apparently he had plans with it today. Dunno why, as there are no invaders to be seen. Also, he sent out some of the migrants to fetch suits of steel armor. Then he started raving about spears, so each recruit picked up a spear. It was then Duke finally let them in. It was then he took one of their spears and rushed beneath the ground into his lair, which has expanded.

Day of Silence,

Note the non-date days are the beginnings of months, and Duke requested they be named these. Also, Duke would like to write something down.

MAGMAPIPEMAGMAPIPEMAGMAPIPEMAGMAPIPEMAGMAPIPEMAGMAPIPEMAGMAPIPEMAGMAPIPE
 I have gone BEYOND all! None have seen the Magma! None has felt her as I have! The Toon, the Zig, the Corn, the Fisherman! All come now, to make it happen. The Island has been shown. ThMAGMAPIPEMAGMAPIPEMAGMAPIPEMAGMAPIPEMAGMAPIPEMAGMAPIPEMAGMAPIPE

Sorry, seems he sometimes gets in these fits of writing that pattern down. Looks like Magma Pipe over and over again, but now he just scribbles it. As I write this he is painting the walls with that phrase in... well, somehow he got ichor. None of our insects are injured, and nobody has been outside. Frankly, I don't want to know.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 03, 2009, 01:40:22 am »

Wow, positively insane.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 03, 2009, 12:42:14 pm »

Rok.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: February 05, 2009, 04:35:22 pm »

10th Spring,
 A Bugbear ambush today. Duke and Toony were watching and started to rave and rant on how leather was going after them. I honestly don't know what to think about this. Better than doing their business into the magma outside. Speaking about magma, seems the ambushers walked right into it. Huh.

You would think 'leather' would know better.

Erm, sorry. I only update this every few days. But a few days after the first ambush some merchants came from the non-magma side. Along with an ambush of bugbears. This won't be pretty.

Turns out so many things died on both sides that both groups left. Lazy bastards.

14th Summer,

Seems the Humans have come. If ambushes don't come soon, we are opening the gates. I don't think the speardwarf squad would be able to handle anything now, especially with two of them  sporting broken limbs. We were all scared one of them would poke out somebodies lungs, but it seems they are whacking eachother instead of poking eachother. Dammit Duke, stop teaching the recruits how to improperly use their weapons!

Also, he has ordered some pumps to be made. Who knows what his goal is.

15th Summer,

We decided to lower the drawbridges. As the humans came, Duke came to me with a page from the stocks. I told him to go away as we had traders to deal with, but he persisted with this page. So I looked at it.

It appears our hero Olga the Marksdwarf who has the grave of honor adopted all the fire snakes in the fortress. If this is true, her casket is filled with fire snakes.

After I read this, duke rushed off to the local trapper. Looks like we are going to fill his sanctuary with fire snakes now.

Also, Zigzag was reelected. Considering he has what Duke has to magma to flasks, I consider this fine. We could have him request coral or something. Bah, what kind of dwarves would get a coral, whatever that is? 'tis in the ocean! 'tis wet!

20th Summer,

Duke quickly sketched an image of the traders at the depot. This... might show what exactly  haunts Duke. I'm getting the mayor to talk to him about this. I'm also talking to everybody to see if anybody remembers where he came from. We might be able to cure him, which is a dwarven first.
 Anyway, a note to readers of this, the government here at Speargrove is The Big Knife(represented by twin suns) and the Sunny Seals(represented by a mountain). There doesn't seem to be any references to the Sunny Seals here, but I expect one will rise up.

12th Summer,

Merchants left today. Didn't see much of them anyway. Good thing we didn't completely flood the map. Speaking of which, we are not using the flood lever 'till we can get the backup floodgates installed. I received a rough sketch of Duke's plans, but he seems to have nicked it back. Well, know that the second level will eventually be flooded and thus floodgates are needed on the inside to protect us from the magma.

Also, I found some interesting stuff on Duke. He migrated here from Whipfin, a fortress I've never heard about. Seems nobody in the immigration wave he was in came from there. However, one rumor was common to them all, of how a demon attacked his fortress. It is a surprise he even made it out alive. I decided to study the demons of the world, and there are only three that could have been alive then. Of the three, only one had access: Esagu Seducedlies the Evil Nightmare of Sins. Quite a name, and she earned it. A deity of fire, death and torture, and leader of the hobgoblins. Or was. Some accounts show she died in 136, yet all rumors show that she is the most likely of the three.
 That is, unless the theories that demons go under the Adamantine when dead...
 Well, that's all for tonight. I'll look more into this tomorrow.

26th Midsummer,

No new information Duke. However, he did start melting a bow in an imaginary forge, and got some imaginary burns. I did note our stockpiles are filled with useless weapons and armor no dwarf would use, so we started to melt it all. Then the smiths showed me the room, no warehouse filled with arrows that can't be used in crossbows. That... is a lot of iron.

10th Late Summer,

Not mu-
 (The rest of this page is covered in a mixture of dried blood, ichor, dirt and grime)

(There is a note on the back of the page)

Note to self: Don't let cats walk over your journals. They seem to have every substance known to dwarfkind on them.

Day of Tremors,

Well, Autumn has come. Not much has happened recently, as we have all been busy with with the glass industry. We need quite a few floodgates, blocks and windows and we only have one skilled glassmaker and one recruited jeweler. This makes things slow, but after glass furnaces were made near the sand area for the purpose of collecting sand sand no longer became an issue. However, traffic around the forges did. Still, not much expantion we can do around here. We have also started construction on some odd walls in the workshop floor and grave floor.

Again, Duke had his way. Something strange happened, though. As I went to his sanctuary, I found he had covered the windows with writing. It was just a name repeating over and over again in a red paint:
 Esagu.
 Then I saw him. Just as the brave dwarves who first saw him when his year started, I could swear his eyes were like coals. I rushed to show him the image, which seemed to calm him down. Then he had a lucid moment, where he grabbed my arms and looked me in the eyes:
 "Listen; we cannot let this place fall. Speargrove is a turning point to these lands. The Spayed City wants her to come back, and the Seducer of Gifts is trying to kill her off. The others don't know what is happening here, but they know something the both of them want is here. Only we can seal her away forever, and make sure she never comes back. I can speak with you on the first of Winter."

I was stunned for the whole speech, mostly because he was talking sense. I barely understood what he was saying in my shock, but I somehow remembered. He stared into my eyes for a few seconds after then fell back into his insanity. If what he says is true, she is here. But that is impossible, the only thing here is a magma pipe. We know Adamantine only happens beneath the mountains; and never in the same general area as other things like chasms, magma pipes and underground rivers. Something really is strange here, and I'm going to find out.
 Also, I took notice of a mysterious Human who shows up constantly through the logs. Fey has  him recorded in last-years logs, and I remember myself seeing him with the last human caravan. We have records of him dieing here along with the rest of the caravans, yet we cannot find his body. Sure there are many dead things with no bodies here, but he is listed twice under different names. Next time we see a human bowman we will question him. He appears in duke's drawings, and we need to know his involvement in all this.

A_Fey_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 05, 2009, 04:51:36 pm »

Another awesome update...

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 05, 2009, 05:20:11 pm »

MAGMA?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 05, 2009, 07:01:41 pm »

If the mechanism works the way I plan, and windows can be made fast enough, then yes the pipe will re-fill. This time I shall make sure there are proper shafts down, and a little something extra for the future.

Also, anybody opposed to me mucking about with a tweak-like program to have a U for team Speargrove?

Also: If there is another list, I would love to come back so I can somehow turn something into the core of evil, Esagu Seducedlies the Evil Nightmare of Sins. Then try to kill her. Somehow.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 07:04:03 pm by Duke 2.0 »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 37