Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 42

Author Topic: Kobold Camp  (Read 158011 times)

Hobgobwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp
« Reply #150 on: November 21, 2008, 06:14:24 pm »

My camp is thriving, and able to stave off most attackers so far. I simply have a walled-off ramp and a moat filled with carp on two sides, the other two are cliffs dropping several z-levels into sturgeon, lamprey, and carp infested water. Currently, only 4 fatalities, a merchant too foolish to avoid a lamprey-infested pool, a shooter I had that was rooting out fish, but ran out of ammo, and well... He got some slicer skill in before he died of lungs being ripped out.

The other fatalities were a melancholy mood and the trader who tried to clean up the shooter. Had two sieges from elves so far, neither was successful, and dug a channel with some bars set up in it to filter fish out so my kobs could drink safely. The fisherkobs stick to the waterfall for fishing, though they sometimes wander to the nearby pools. Currently working on housing for my kobolds, as I only have about 20 rooms.

Most complex building is a watch tower that stands 2.5 z levels high with fortifications on the top floor, and it has a basement level that was floored over after being channeled out, the purpose of the room is archery range. The first floor being weapons/armor/ammo storage, 2nd floor being 2 bedrooms for the shooters who guard the tower, and the roof is the ramparts. 7x7 building, 5x5 walking space inside.

Second most complex building is the drinking hall, a 6x16 structure with tables and chairs, stairs leading to the roof which is featureless. The only other "complex" building is burrows for housing under the wooden houses, which are dug from dirt rather than rock.

So far my only issue was when I went to play a kobold in adventure mode, there were no towns where I could get quests from kobolds, I had to wander to a dwarf capital which was the nearest town. Did kobold civilization die out?
Also, that adventurer was eaten by wolves >:

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 21, 2008, 06:37:48 pm »

I tried to use the newest kobold BMP he set up, but it keeps messing up. Can someone send me of the NEWEST one he put on this thread, a raw/graphics/mayday folder and init Graphics section?

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2008, 04:58:49 am »

After more tinkering it seems that whether cutebolds (my variant, that is) will be active on new fortress mode seems to be random. Sometimes even though they are listed in sites list and history, they will not appear as neighbors. I've had choice to play as them most often on small maps. Interestingly, last few LARGE gens had no trace of cutebolds on site selection, but as soon as I've generated another world with controllable tag removed from dwarves, I've got 12 cutebold civs to choose from.

Bizarre.
Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2008, 10:41:10 am »

After more tinkering it seems that whether cutebolds (my variant, that is) will be active on new fortress mode seems to be random. Sometimes even though they are listed in sites list and history, they will not appear as neighbors. I've had choice to play as them most often on small maps. Interestingly, last few LARGE gens had no trace of cutebolds on site selection, but as soon as I've generated another world with controllable tag removed from dwarves, I've got 12 cutebold civs to choose from.

Bizarre.
A: Well, they are a kobold variant, and kobolds are meant to be the weakest civ in the game
B: Large maps means more mean civs to bully them/genocide them
C: Remove the civ controllable tag from everything but cutebolds, and the "Must have playable civ" option kicks in and forces it to have them.
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

krige

• Bay Watcher
  • [TILE:dwarf:fire]
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2008, 11:01:44 am »

It's not that they're the weakest. They survived every world gen (play as cutebold adventurer of cutebold civ was available in each one) but were available in only a few of them.
Sheriff of Nottingham: That's it then. Cancel the kitchen scraps for lepers and orphans, no more merciful beheadings, and call off Christmas.

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2008, 12:09:45 pm »

At this point, I'm trying to come up with and add in more interesting items and elements to Kobold Camp. I was trying to make marbles, if for nothing more than a flavor/toy item, since it seems like exactly the kind of toy Kobolds would love, but since clay leaves no resources and sand can't be used in custom smelter reactions, I'm at a loss.

Also looking into making bone blocks/furniture and other items, but I'm not very savvy with the smelter reaction format yet -- certainly not enough to swap that in yet.

Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated on the subject.
You'll never be able to look at the chains in your Fortress the same way again.

Lairian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2008, 01:51:43 pm »

At this point, I'm trying to come up with and add in more interesting items and elements to Kobold Camp. I was trying to make marbles, if for nothing more than a flavor/toy item, since it seems like exactly the kind of toy Kobolds would love, but since clay leaves no resources and sand can't be used in custom smelter reactions, I'm at a loss.

I think you can have the smelter give what it takes, in this case for marbles have the smelter take a large dagger + bone and give bone marbles + large dagger.  Similarly, take large dagger + wood and give wooden marbles + large dagger.  I use large dagger since it's a cannon kobold tool, and should be able to carve stuff.

The downside is that the large dagger it returns is not the dagger it takes, but a new one, so quality will get all flummoxed...

Lairian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2008, 02:02:55 pm »

I tried to use the newest kobold BMP he set up, but it keeps messing up. Can someone send me of the NEWEST one he put on this thread, a raw/graphics/mayday folder and init Graphics section?

I have no hosting, sorry.  But try this:

1) download this .PNG:

2) open the .PNG in MSPaint or image editor of choice.

3) immediately do a File->Save As... and change the filetype to .bmp giving it the name "kobolds".

4) drag "kobolds.bmp" into your .../raw/graphics/mayday/ folder, and replace the existing one.

5) go to .../raw/graphics/

6) open graphics_mayday.txt

7) select all, and delete

8) paste this:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

9) Save

10) This should work (it does on my end)

Things that could have gone wrong:
-> saving as "kobolds2.bmp" instead of "kobolds.bmp"
-> not using an editor to save as, and just renaming to "kobolds.bmp"
-> that hosting site adding a watermark to the .png format that's screwing things up (doubtful)
-> mistake in copy-paste of graphics_mayday.txt (on my end or yours)

Let me know!  =D

Techhead

• Bay Watcher
  • Former Minister of Technological Heads
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2008, 02:08:19 pm »

Put marbles in as a toy, hard materials only.
If you want, make them kobold only.
Engineering Dwarves' unfortunate demises since '08
WHAT?  WE DEMAND OUR FREE THINGS NOW DESPITE THE HARDSHIPS IT MAY CAUSE IN YOUR LIFE
It's like you're all trying to outdo each other in sheer useless pedantry.

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2008, 03:10:08 pm »

I think you can have the smelter give what it takes, in this case for marbles have the smelter take a large dagger + bone and give bone marbles + large dagger.  Similarly, take large dagger + wood and give wooden marbles + large dagger.
The problem here is that marbles are pretty much never carved, they're almost universally rolled from clay or resins or rolled/cut from glass. The former seems more koboldy, but clay doesn't really allow itself to be useable in any way (though I'm sure eventually we'll get earthenware and this will change).

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2008, 03:42:59 pm »

Yay, it worked! Thanks, Lairian.

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2008, 04:00:43 pm »

WHERE IS THIS MOD I AM RAGING AT MY INABILITY TO FIND LATEST VERSION ARG
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Gobbo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 22, 2008, 04:15:50 pm »

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2008, 04:48:16 pm »

THANK YOU MIGHTY MAKER OF MOD I SHALL GO GET DEVOURED TO PRAISE YOUR GLORY
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.

Himmelhand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 22, 2008, 08:44:38 pm »

I really like the tileset for this, so I transplanted it over to default DF.  I got everything working, but the colors aren't muted like in the modded version.  How can I fix this?
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 42