Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 42

Author Topic: Kobold Camp  (Read 155357 times)

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp
« Reply #540 on: November 01, 2009, 03:31:57 pm »

And tons of deaths from warring bands of orcs.

And sneaky goblinses.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: November 02, 2009, 03:17:07 pm »

It's kind of funny to go to a dark fortress in adventure mode and see more kobolds than goblins.  A down side to being a baby snatcher is when the babies breed like rabbits.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 02, 2009, 09:38:21 pm »

i made a cave and boardwalk village on the coast on an OCEANCLIFF map, alcohol is the only drink and mastercraft wood is the best furniture. the only way into the village is via a long 1-wide bridge from a peninsula over a raging sea. if i turned the meeting area off once to see where they would hang out.
-they all went to the beach
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #543 on: November 03, 2009, 11:23:00 am »

i made a cave and boardwalk village on the coast on an OCEANCLIFF map, alcohol is the only drink and mastercraft wood is the best furniture. the only way into the village is via a long 1-wide bridge from a peninsula over a raging sea. if i turned the meeting area off once to see where they would hang out.
-they all went to the beach

upload map?
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #544 on: November 03, 2009, 11:44:28 am »

Yeah, You're definitly going to have to upload that map, and the world seed/raws. I've been looking for oceanic cliffs forever...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: November 04, 2009, 07:41:34 am »

Cobaltkobold invented the seed:
Quote from: Cobaltkobold's sig
http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=36246.msg575478#msg575478

also for all the time i spent megaprojecting and modding, i have never submitted any b4, so no idea how to, lol
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #546 on: November 04, 2009, 02:23:14 pm »

Take a look at the Dwarf Fortress Map Archive and sign up at the DF File Depot.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Cles

• Bay Watcher
  • I need some Cave Spider silk parachutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #547 on: November 23, 2009, 12:32:40 pm »

Does Bonecarn include skulls?

Urist McStudent

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: November 26, 2009, 07:31:33 am »

What kind of items counts as exported wealth?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 06:12:21 am by Urist McStudent »
Excuse me for MAH ENGRISCH

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: November 28, 2009, 01:27:05 pm »

Hey guys, sorry if I missed somebody else doing this in the past 37 pages, but I decided I missed the funny mishmash of words for dwarven names (Plus its easier to keep track of your olins and urists vs. all of the random Kobold names, but I didn't want to just nickname them Bob and Fred), so I threw together a Kobold Language File!

My methodology is pretty simple:
You can get pretty reasonable looking fake words by observing the frequencies for letter triples in real words, and
generating new triples randomly, based on those probabilities.

So you start with nothing, and look at your rule for starting with nothing, and randomly pick a letter according to that rule.  Then you look at  your rule for a blank, followed by that letter you just chose, now you have two letter.  From then on, you use your two-letter rules, and generate a new third letter, and then use the last two letters in your word-in-progress to generate a third.  It continues until the third letter you generate is a blank, indicating the end of the word.  (To get reasonable lengths, after the word reaches 6 letters, it has a 50/50 chance from then on, of saying forget the probabilities, if a blank is a valid choice, I'm taking it). 

I used 3 languages for the source words:

1)  Dorfish from DF (Kobolds steal everything from dwarves, even words)
2)  German (Kobold is a german word)
3)  Hebrew (Tolkien based his Dwarf language on Hebrew, and since I couldn't find many Tolkien dwarf words, I went straight to the source!)

(I transliterated all three into unaccented Latin letters).

So that generated me as many words as I could ever want, and almost all of them had a vowel, even!  From there, I sorted the DF dictionary of english words, by the length of the goblin word for them.  I then rearranged the order a bit, to make words I thought Kobolds would use at all/commonly to the end, and words they would use commonly towards the start.  (Word length is almost invariably proportional to usage.  If you make a new word that's long, and it's useful, it'll get shortened.  Cellular Telephone -> Cell Phone -> Cell.  Television -> TV)  Then I lined my words up with that list, also sorted by length.

Result:  Kobold Dictionary

There are some (sometimes humorous) coincidences:

I know a guy who goes by "Gares" online, and the word "gares" was randomly generated, and assigned to the english word "Fetid". 

The neo-Kobold word for "Spray" is "jet". 

Also, the word for "Skirt (clothing)" is "gurl".

The name for "hole" is "dor". 

That's all I've noticed, I didn't read it too carefully.  Since it's generated based on real words from real languages (And Dorfish) I think they're mostly all pronounceable.  There are no duplicates, but there may be heterographs.  But that's ok, English has heterographs ;)

If you prefer the unintelligible names, I won't force you to use this ;)

Oh, one last thing Urist -> Dagger -> Nurg. 
Urist McDwarf, meet Nurg Koboldmann.  Rolls off the tongue a bit better than Dlufululugalmus, I think.  But that's just me. 

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Oops, split in two due to 40,000 character limit!

Zared

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: November 28, 2009, 01:28:04 pm »

Kobold Dictionary part the second.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: November 28, 2009, 01:34:05 pm »

I hate to throw a dampener on all the effort you've made, but you do realise that scripts exist to do this sort of thing automatically, right?

The results are most likely vastly more interesting than the language files procedurally-generated by script, though, and likely nowhere near as nonsensical... even if that was the point in the first place.

Also, any new words you've added (above those used by the default language files) will want symbol entries.

Unsalted

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: December 04, 2009, 07:42:51 am »

Is this Mod Still alive? Id love to give it a shot but I am having trouble finding the most up to date version of this. Keep in mind, I have no interest to manually mod in the changes that people have made throughout the thread - I'm just not able or willing to dive into that at the moment.  :-\

I am, however in love with the idea of playing kobolds and would rigorously test anything and everything I could, should someone pack up an updated version of this.  ;D

So, heres to hoping that I can have some of the Fun with this mod!

Emily Murkpaddled

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: December 04, 2009, 10:40:16 am »

The issue with any pack-up would be that beyond many of the changes being conducted on a very personal basis, there are very many ways to produce very many of those changes. Some people opted to exploit the [RANGED] glitch after adding the Bowyer profession to their kobolds -- other people opted to add [CAN_STONE] to special low-damage versions of weapons, possibly adding [SHARP] to additional stone types, and churned their weaponry out at the Craftsbold's Workshop. This is just one of the few branching points that the community diverged on, and the actual application of these ideas still varied from individual to individual.

Some people only want to play wrestling the wildlife, tanning their hides, and eventually trading those leather goods away for copper weapons to the kobold caravan years into the future. Other players used the provided Shovels to breach rock layers -- something a large amount of people in the thread considered verboten -- to fuel their [CAN_STONE] weaponsmithing. Beyond choices made while playing, most of these decisions require very small changes to the raws ... but very small, often small enough not to even require regenning.

The most recent version of Kobold Camp linked in the thread is very operable and remains hosted here, at megaupload. I think someone rehosted it at DFFD at some point but I can't remember where in the thread that link is located. That link contains a full set of raws, of which only the default_entity and item_weapon files are changed, iirc. Either way, you can just copy the full set and then apply any other mods you want afterwards (remember that as kobolds have the [ITEM_THIEF] tag, pretty much every imaginable civilization will be hostile to them).

In terms of the small adjustments you may want to make to that operable version of the game, that this thread was concerned with discussing for 20 pages or so, the best recommendation I can make is to simply read the first 10 or 20 pages of this thread and then make those adjustments yourself, to suit your own playing style. It would be presumptuous for anyone, at this point, to upload a version of Kobold Camp 'more complete' than the one linked, with people ultimately in such disagreement over any and all further changes.

Link again: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8eiqzwng

Unsalted

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: December 05, 2009, 05:09:25 pm »

ok.... Where do these files even go? I copied my Dwarf Fortress as to not mess it up with whatever it is I'm doing.
Pages: 1 ... 35 36 [37] 38 39 ... 42