Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42

Author Topic: Kobold Camp  (Read 155371 times)

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp
« Reply #510 on: October 22, 2009, 10:03:17 am »

I downloaded the latest version of this mod I could find on this thread and disabled the default graphics pack (I hate all graphics packs), but the colors are still different.  How can I get my default color palette back?

edit: Also, as I am playing some of the icons are even fucked up.  Turtles now look like an accented u instead of looking like an ASCII turtle like they did before.  I just want the graphics to be identical to vanilla dwarf fort, halp me..

edit2: I also added the orc mod, copied and pasted from my other df folder, and orcs aren't showing up in any worldgens.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 10:52:28 am by anomaly »

UristMcGunsmith

• Bay Watcher
  • "Shhh! My common sense is tingling!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: October 22, 2009, 01:54:01 pm »

Orcs versus... Kobolds?
I like using hand grenades to shred paper too.

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: October 22, 2009, 01:58:49 pm »

Orcs versus... Kobolds?
I like using hand grenades to shred paper too.

I'm not sure how that's relevant to my issue.

DracoGriffin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: October 22, 2009, 03:33:23 pm »

Bust out the vanilla DF init.txt and replace the color palettes in the Kobold Camp init.txt

Then, grab InfoRapid Search & Replace and use that program to compare the files in vanilla DF's raws with Kobold Camp's raws. Force changes from vanilla DF to Kobold Camp. It should then have all the correct tiles.

Make sure you don't allow all changes or otherwise you'll just end up making another vanilla DF. You'll have to go through each line that pops up and make changes. For something so small, it'll be a bit more work than what you seem willing to do.

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: October 22, 2009, 07:55:17 pm »

You're right, it 's too much of a pain in the ass for me.  I guess I'll have to just accept having the sepia tones.  Well anyway, I got the orcs to work.  This is gonna be a sick game.  I'll have to dig a dirt trench right away to keep from dying in the first year.

I also modded the small copper dagger to be a sword, I couldn't equip it as a knife and at the end of the day it doesn't matter what skill they're using anyway.  Upped their bite damage a bit; they're anthropomorphic dogs after all.  They should be able to bite at least as hard as a goblin (1-6).  I'm thinking about making a bone/shell studded armor that would basically be a bone/chain version of chainmail as well.  I also want to mod the kobolds to be able to make shields.  I think it's stupid for them to not be able to make at least wooden shields; it's one of the most rudimentary technologies there are.  That might require a regen, I'll check right now.

edit: yap, that did the trick.

One more question... what exactly would it do to change the primary attack to bite instead of fists for kobolds in the raws?  would it only affect wrestling skill?  that's actually kind of a badass thought, kobolds would be quite lethal as wrestlers because of their bite attack... hmm..
« Last Edit: October 22, 2009, 08:05:27 pm by anomaly »

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: October 23, 2009, 01:20:23 am »

Remember DF kobolds aren't dogs, they are komodo dragon/monkeys. or whatever Reptomamilian (Mamoreptilian?) means.

The problem with changing their primary to bite is they will probably lead with their face in combat, and being of a similar durability to paper...

The Camp has hit a snag, at least in the terms of me starting it, school has gotten extra crazy as can be seen by me posting this at 2am :-\
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 01:22:47 am by Bloogonis »

Lofn

• Bay Watcher
  • There was a hole.
    • View Profile
    • Tumblr
« Reply #516 on: October 23, 2009, 11:40:14 pm »

I'm not sure if these will be useful to you lot, but I wrote them up for an Aztec kobold mod and I thought they might be fitting.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I'm very fond of this mod.
Also known as Zuhayr.

Sleetmonster

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: October 24, 2009, 04:12:43 pm »

Entranced by both the primitive, above-ground aspects of the mod and the crazy levels of cute in these kobolds, I could not help but try this mod out.  Haven't been playing it long but even so it's great so far. :D

I seem to have some weird kind of luck finding waterfalls here [perhaps they're just that more frequent in heavily forested areas?] since I've set out on a few different maps - soon thereafter abandoning them because I felt like messing around in the raw files (I couldn't help but have them make cookies and pies instead of roasts and stews. I don't know why.) - I'm settled for good now and they're well into summer. But the waterfall on this map is really wide, and it's actually starting to flood everything downstream. At this rate they're going to have quite the waterlogged little camp before long :x Trying to stay true to a kobold's cave-dwelling roots, I'm going for natural looking subterranean rooms - all rounded and asymmetric. Aside from the bedrooms, which are carved with a pattern, it's starting to get a sort of open, communal vibe which fits the theme kind of nicely, I think.

On a final note, my fisher'bold has some mad skills. I have to keep cycling his fish labor on and off to get all this massive piles of fish prepped and stored before they rot. He is a beast.
I think he might actually be some kind of kobold Aquaman.

anomaly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: October 25, 2009, 04:34:21 pm »

Remember DF kobolds aren't dogs, they are komodo dragon/monkeys. or whatever Reptomamilian (Mamoreptilian?) means.

The problem with changing their primary to bite is they will probably lead with their face in combat, and being of a similar durability to paper...

DF kobolds are whatever the fuck I want them to be, which in this case happens to be the same as what every other major fantasy publication happens to describe them as, and that happens to be anthropomorphic dogs.  No amount of retarded 4chan pictures will change that.

And your 2nd post is worthless, I changed it and messed around in adventurer mode, and it make their push attack while wrestling into a bite, which is decidedly badass.  I envision them as being ferocious unarmed and being able to kill someone of most of the other major races 1v1 until their primitive weapons and technology come into play.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: October 25, 2009, 04:53:47 pm »

Well, as far as 'major fantasy publications' kobolds, while occasionally described as dog-like, have been reptilian in D&D for quite a while, since the 70s: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)

EDIT: Of course, that doesn't mean anything. DF isn't D&D. And there isn't anything in DF that rules out either opinion.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009, 05:34:01 pm by Ziusudra »
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: October 26, 2009, 02:23:47 pm »

DF kobolds are whatever the fuck I want them to be, which in this case happens to be the same as what every other major fantasy publication happens to describe them as, and that happens to be anthropomorphic dogs.  No amount of retarded 4chan pictures will change that.

Actually, DF kobolds are whatever Toady decides them to be. This will be more clear in the next version, but he certainly would already have an answer for it now. I'll see if I can find one. And yes, like Ziusudra said, some kobolds in fantasy ARE reptilian. In folklore, they were just little guys the size of small children, but had a wide variety of appearances depending on who you asked and where. I'm not even really sure where the "dog-like" kobolds come from.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: October 26, 2009, 02:57:31 pm »

In one of the bloats or powergoals he states that they "..aren't dog people or mini draconians but a sort of Mamoreptillian Humanoids..". I cant remember which one it is. It really should be in the DF wiki, that would end all the confusion.

that being said, its a fantasy game with ambiguous body system (Until next release) and you can picture them any way you want in your own head. just remember that DF has its own variety, and is not a generic Fantasy sim.

My favorite dipictions are the ones in the Fan art competition in General Discussion.
Spoiler: By Riess (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: By Spreggo (click to show/hide)

Chronas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: October 27, 2009, 04:22:10 am »

Well, as far as 'major fantasy publications' kobolds, while occasionally described as dog-like, have been reptilian in D&D for quite a while, since the 70s: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kobold_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)

EDIT: Of course, that doesn't mean anything. DF isn't D&D. And there isn't anything in DF that rules out either opinion.
that link is a leetle bit broken, also anomaly calm the hell down, this is just a game -and btw bloogonis is correct, DF kobolds share characteristics of mammal and reptile.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...
It should be pretty fun though.

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: October 27, 2009, 10:12:46 am »

So Dungeons & Dragons ceases to be a "major fantasy publication", now?

I'd be more willing to accept that if not for the near certainty that your "major fantasy publication" is WoW.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 10:14:40 am by Random832 »

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: October 27, 2009, 03:26:33 pm »

So Dungeons & Dragons ceases to be a "major fantasy publication", now?

I'd be more willing to accept that if not for the near certainty that your "major fantasy publication" is WoW.
Oh snap I hadn't noticed he also dissed the Cutebolds! They are not retarded... well ok maybe they are "special needs", but that's what kobolds are anyway.

But back on topic, I'm going to go through the raws over the next couple of days and try and streamline my copy* and try and make them as close to proper kobolds as is possible. I was wondering is there a way to deny certain reactions to a civ without removing the reaction from "reaction_standard"? Would removing reactions for steal and Iron lead to no one else having those metals?

*probobly a new download
« Last Edit: October 27, 2009, 03:29:38 pm by Bloogonis »
Pages: 1 ... 33 34 [35] 36 37 ... 42