Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 42

Author Topic: Kobold Camp  (Read 155034 times)

Krisnack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp
« Reply #405 on: July 26, 2009, 11:26:20 pm »

Thanks, that should work, although the mechanic is demanding silk, so he probably wont last long. And I checked, their skill is reset to zero when they become a peasant.

Hyudra

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: August 02, 2009, 01:52:09 pm »

Pretty novice player here.  The cuteness of kobolds convinced me to push through the game's learning curve and actually get a settlement going.

A few pretty vicious failures.  I had one fort dug into the dirt of a pretty impressive natural location -> a mountain trisected by a Y shaped chasm with a waterfall at one end, my kobolds on the cliff face opposite the waterfall, and a 10 z-level sheer drop down any face to a river.  I set bridges so my fishbolds could access the river and the trees on the other sections of the mountain.  A raccoon attacked and pushed my fish cleaner off the eastern bridge.  His girlfriend kind of took it hard.  After a little while, she threw a tantrum... and ended her life in a kind of poetic (and Wile E. Coyote) manner.  Afterwards, I got a spiral of madness and depression that saw my kobolds refusing to do anything, wasting away in their workshops and bedrooms.

My current run is fairly successful, though I got a bunch of miserable migrants I couldn't get much use out of.  At 13 kobolds, currently, my migrants included two peasants, a metalworker, an armorsmith, two kobolds with ranks in the social skills and a plant grower.  (Suggestions on finding tasks for these sods is welcome).  They were a depressed lot after their arrival, being dirty and covered in flies, but a bed, chest, cabinet and chair for everyone seems to have lifted their moods.  I've overfished the marshland and have resorted to hunting with well equipped kobolds (Bows I traded for, wood arrows, bone plate mail head to toe).  Previous failures where deer absolutely murdered my kobolds have left me a touch wary of pitting them against anything larger than a breadbox.

Pretty solid fun.  Some of my 'bolds ran into a black bear and one was left without any legs, the other has a pretty minor wound on his hand, but seems reluctant to get out of bed.  I'm fairly attached to the little guys as a whole, and have been ensuring their comfort and well being.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: August 03, 2009, 12:37:28 pm »

wow amazing story about the bridge, I had a similar thing happen with a dwarf fort except instead of a bridge it was a rock ledge i was clearing and the male was the one who killed himself by leaping into the underground pool to avenge her death, fighting about 5 snakemen 3 olm men a giant toad and a few giant olms, killing a large number of the 'men before drowning.

My last Kobold Kamp was doomed by zombie horses, I think I might try and retry that one cause the site had sand loam sand and then clay before any stone was reached.

back to the previous topic I wonder, if the Mechanic gets legendary status will he ever revert?

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: August 03, 2009, 01:34:24 pm »

According to my experiences with kobolds and "not known" jobs, nope. In fact, even Novice stays for good.

So if you get some guy with a skill like Mechanics, or gem working, one choice is to make them work a lot until they get Novice. Then you'll always have them listed as a Gem Cutter or Setter. Also, you need at least Dabbling for them to be eligible in a mood of their arrived profession.

I got a close one, playing with Chaos Reigns and Orks, when an Armorer showed up. I barely had time to cast an anvil and throw it there, and tell the guy to make one measly iron helm, when he went fey and produced a gauntlet. But most importantly, he went legendary.

Maybe now I can tackle the orks.

Last time 8 champions in traditional copper gear got slaughtered. It's about time to upgrade.

Although not much further from iron.
Gotta keep some lower-level thing going on. They all have Keen gear so it's okay, right?

Kruniac

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: August 04, 2009, 03:30:06 pm »

According to my experiences with kobolds and "not known" jobs, nope. In fact, even Novice stays for good.

So if you get some guy with a skill like Mechanics, or gem working, one choice is to make them work a lot until they get Novice. Then you'll always have them listed as a Gem Cutter or Setter. Also, you need at least Dabbling for them to be eligible in a mood of their arrived profession.

I got a close one, playing with Chaos Reigns and Orks, when an Armorer showed up. I barely had time to cast an anvil and throw it there, and tell the guy to make one measly iron helm, when he went fey and produced a gauntlet. But most importantly, he went legendary.

Maybe now I can tackle the orks.

Last time 8 champions in traditional copper gear got slaughtered. It's about time to upgrade.

Although not much further from iron.
Gotta keep some lower-level thing going on. They all have Keen gear so it's okay, right?

So you have them using iron. So you have basically smaller versions of humans with a very distinct weapon set.

Copper for me, all the way. I had 12 spearmen with no armor, and 5 archers with copper bows (and arrows). I ruled. :)

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: August 04, 2009, 11:13:04 pm »

yah, the whole point of the mod is you are denying yourself most of the available resources simply because they(the Kobolds) dont know about them. putting them in Iron or higher tech metals just doesnt fit, now you can still do it for fun, but it kind of steps all over the point of the mod.

That said! I dug deep again! ::) this time I did it as the next step, after seting everything up and loading a feather wood cage with about 25 Fluffy Wamblers and was still without any metal workers of any kind so I decided, why not. I dug deep found the adamantine, waited till the leader showed and then sent a lone pesant who had no friends to find the pit. he breached the pit and found *drum roll*

A Turtle! there where four levels of the pit that were empty of everything except for turtles and lungfish, I thought... What manner of glitch is this!

then i saw the one level of insane'o's  and a frog demon gobbled him up, as expected

Now what should I do? and does the pit count as a site that attracts the DM? I want to tame these wamblers so my little guys stop eating them.

Edit: My Warriors just went out on their annual Mountain Gnome hunt ( the basterds killed my woodcuter in year 2) and my champion spent way to much time breaking all their fingers.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2009, 11:28:55 pm by Bloogonis »

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: August 05, 2009, 08:48:17 am »

I am ashamed to admit that I use iron.

These aren't your ordinary kobolds though, no, they're tired of living in caves and are kicking it big!

I also learned, the hard way, that 8 champions, legendary in any way, get brutally murdered by 10 orks. There were no survivors. I don't think they managed to kill even one ork.

So yeah. I'm such a jerk.

The iron stuff only works if a migrant with metalworks moves in though. I've had that happen way too rarely even with dwarves, and at least with them I can tell generic Urist McMigrant to stop being lazy and move up in order to become better to the fort.

Now using kobolds in vanilla DF, that I played with copper and didn't have trouble. Most trouble I had with it was when I decided that giving obsidian short swords would be a good idea for my military.

Two minutes later, half my soldiers were dead from sparring injuries.

Such is the life of a kobold.

And to the human comparison, sort of.
Although human's seem to be able to survive injuries better than kobolds from what I've seen. I remember one iron-clad legendary military badass kobold who died after a wooden arrow pierced one of his lungs. Bled to death.

Curse you, small size.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 08:55:55 am by Ieb »

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: August 05, 2009, 03:38:22 pm »

Been playing this a lot recently, stock as PTTG did it but changed graphics to have the enhanced set.

Only thing that's annoying is there's no water source on this map so I'm limited to scrounging plants to make booze. Hurt kobolds die :/ with no water.

Also, lack of mechanics to make a well kind of annoys me, and why is bowyer not an active skill? Stock DF kobolds come with bows - I was churning out bows once I got a weird immigrant kobold. I also can't find anything to make weapons and armor besides bone, wood, and shell, so I've stolen everything from the merchants.

I justify this that the merchants stealing items bug doesn't kick in and I get more immigrants.  ;D
« Last Edit: August 05, 2009, 03:42:25 pm by KaelGotDwarves »

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: August 13, 2009, 12:02:49 pm »

Hi all. I was recently pointed to this mod and I thought I'd give it a try. As usual I imposed a few RP rules on myself.

* One embark kobold is the trader/chieftain. They have all administrative functions and if killed will be replaced at my whim. The Chieftain cannot have any hauling duties active except burial and health care. They are the only one who can have these. They also are the only brewer. They cannot have any military skills and cannot be drafted.
* Only weapons/ammo/armor and skills can be bought at embark, no provisions.
* Subterranean features are not pre-planned. If a need for a subterranean room pops up it is dug then from an available branch in the tunnel system. My first hovel had some very unorganized mazes of corridors and various sized rooms that seemed nicely unorganized. A far cry from my dwarf forts indeed!

I tried 3x3 embarks with lots of trees and a varied elevation terrain with lots of soil.

My first game went well ... the brook was chocked full of fish and the unskilled kobolds were flinging them on the brook faster than they could be cleaned. Unfortunately I made the game too hastily and I forgot to put a few of my standard mods in the world gen. After a few years I had a feel for them and decided to regen and re-embark before any fun happened.

My second game, not so well. The brook had little to offer ... I embarked near a chasm and a single batman wiped out three armed kobolds (!) before it got too tired and wandered off to sleep. My remaining four kobolds were all flashing unhappy and hungry when I took a cue from the batman and went to bed myself.

I'm going to make a few modifications to the entity and regen. I grew up in a Greyhawkian world so I'd like my kobolds to be a little more tunnel and trap loving. I'm adding mechanic as a profession although it would be nice if I could mod mechanisms to only be made out of wood ... I love the idea of them being underground dwellers but unable to do anything with the stone they dig out. I really like the limitation of not being able to craft weaponry but relying on the (frequent) caravans from the "mountain home" to provide them in trade of goods. Eventually I might mod in primitive spears and axes that can be fashioned out of several different stone types, not just obsidian, but that are considerably weaker. I think if I make it 1/4th the damage than a mastercrafted one will be comparable to a normal copper one (2.0 x 1.33 for masterful stone weaponry vs. 1.0 x 0.66 for normal copper).

Okay, now to my question:

To save myself some trouble, what are the files that were actually modded by the Kobold Camp mod? I don't use the Mayday tileset (I use Guybrush) and I find myself rather confused with all of my trees and stones turning into different ascii characters. Is it just entity_default.txt and all the item_* files?
Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: August 13, 2009, 11:48:15 pm »

I think for the most part, its just the entity and the item files.

For the trees becoming the wrong tiles, that means the tile number is wrong/different in your current tileset. I think. that's how its been in my experience with modding. (once had tower caps looking like stairs for a wile :D) I think somthing was done to mineral layers because I never see 6 layers of verious clays and sands without an auquifer in any of my Dwarf games.

I would like to hear more about your update as you progress, just wondering what mods you use since I'm not a fan (like Toady) of a large amount of Mystical materials and alloys.

-In my kamps I always demolish the Depot when the "Caravan" arrives, my justification is, they arnt "from the mountainhomes" as the hardcoded message states, but are your thieves returning with thair loot, the reason it says the stole the stuff, is cause everything already belongs to you.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: August 14, 2009, 02:53:48 am »

I think for the most part, its just the entity and the item files.

For the trees becoming the wrong tiles, that means the tile number is wrong/different in your current tileset. I think. that's how its been in my experience with modding. (once had tower caps looking like stairs for a wile :D) I think somthing was done to mineral layers because I never see 6 layers of verious clays and sands without an auquifer in any of my Dwarf games.

I would like to hear more about your update as you progress, just wondering what mods you use since I'm not a fan (like Toady) of a large amount of Mystical materials and alloys.

-In my kamps I always demolish the Depot when the "Caravan" arrives, my justification is, they arnt "from the mountainhomes" as the hardcoded message states, but are your thieves returning with thair loot, the reason it says the stole the stuff, is cause everything already belongs to you.

Well, I had a few embarks and made some adjustments. Unfortunately right now it's not in a playable state since all my kobolds seem to be considered tame animals. I can make changes to them as normal with Dwarf Manager but I can also mark them for slaughter. All I did was remove the intelligent tag and replace it with [CAN_LEARN][CAN_CIV] and ditch the [ITEM_THIEF] tag ... I think. I dunno now, it's late.

The stone weapon changes seem to be okay.

There were some changes to matgloss_stone_layer.txt as well but I'm not sure I'm happy with it just yet. Historically, stone tools were made with cryptocrystalline textured rocks, which includes felsite and rhyolite (igneous) as well as chert and flint (sedimentary.) I gave these the [SHARP] tag in the matgloss just like obsidian. I also gave it to slate since, although it's microcrystalline, it was traditionally used to make stone weapons. It shears like a cryptocrystalline rock and is considerably more common on the surface than any of these other stone types. In practice, I found the four stone types to be rare. Slate is even somewhat rare so I am considering adding other stone types to the [SHARP] list more for playability reasons.

This will mean the end of the obsidian short sword, but, oh well. This is just for the Kobolds anyhow.

It all seemed to work. I could create the weapons from a carver shop no problem: Each one took one appropriate stone and one wood. As for whether or not the stats are right is another matter. There isn't anything in the raws which defines how much damage stone weapons do, so the 1.33x that is attributed to an obsidian sword is harcoded. I can't tell if the weapons my kobolds have are doing the right damage since I've had a hard time getting into conflict (hence why I broke the mod by futzing with the raws.) I won't be able to tell, exactly, but it should be obvious if I'm off by a decimal point or something.

Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: August 14, 2009, 03:43:29 am »

The problem with not being able to manage labours for your kobolds ingame, and the option to slaughter 'em, is because you replaced that INTELLIGENT tag with CAN_LEARN and CAN_CIV.

So if you put that back, it should be normal again. It does the same thing that CAN_LEARN and CAN_CIV do, except less slaughtering your own kubbo's.

Although if you keep it in, and thing's get tough, you could slaughter a few of those peasants or their offspring for meat.

You know you want to.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: August 15, 2009, 12:46:55 am »

it also includes [can_speak] which is also important.

But having executions or Humanoid sacrifices is and interesting development, do they eat the kobold meat? either way this can lead to some interesting story matter involving Kobold religion.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: August 15, 2009, 12:58:06 am »

What's your avatar supposed to be of Bloogonis? I've been wondering since forever.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: August 15, 2009, 01:53:57 am »

What's your avatar supposed to be of Bloogonis? I've been wondering since forever.
its a quadruped race I captured half the galaxy with in spore
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 42