Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 42

Author Topic: Kobold Camp  (Read 154251 times)

Jakkarra

Re: Kobold Camp
« Reply #360 on: April 21, 2009, 02:33:58 pm »

ive just decided to justify kobolds not having very good equipment.

if they had heavy thigs like Iron or steel, it would weigh them down, destroying the advantage they have from being dextrous.

that and they keep getting pushed out of the way when they DO get some nice loot by those grubby dwarven bastards. or killed off by the damn elves for being too cute.

love, jakkarra

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: April 23, 2009, 03:53:12 pm »

I wanted a non-hacky way od obtaining an anvil via trade or something.
I'm sure humans sometimes trade.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Shakma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: April 23, 2009, 05:10:47 pm »

No one will trade with you because of the [ITEM_THIEF] entry.  If you remove it then everyone will trade with you.  I'm pretty sure this is one of the few entity tags that you can add and remove without a regen, so you could have it off until you get a anvil and then add it back in if you like the all hatred against kobolds thing.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: April 24, 2009, 05:55:55 am »

What're the other tags that don't require a regen?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: April 26, 2009, 10:22:09 pm »

I believe it's listed on a sticky.

Summery of my exploits:

I'm now stuck with the same problem I have that I get whenever I play DF: The endgame. I got a large, steel plate equipped kobold army, inside a 200 kobold metropolis (with 40 idle at a time and half lacking proper housing), with pretty much nothing to do except hope that an invasion comes around that can destroy my army and give me a glorious end. Which is never going to happen.

I knew I should have embarked on an area with HFS. Although that drops my FPS to the netherregions.

And if you just read that, yeah, I'm a pretty awful kobold leader. I let them have steel! Steel! And paved roads! Engraved tombs! Silver furniture! And even a well. I'm so ashamed of myself.

Most of the artifacts sucked, save for: A rock armor stand that I stuck in the dining room for them to go ecstatic over, a bone plate mail named 'The Ashamed Race', an iron buckler, a silver cabinet named 'Failskirt', and a bone helmet named 'Negativescrape the Crystalline Vision'.

And all the races are surprisingly complacent. The elves attacked once, when I only had 21 kobolds. They stood around long enough for me to get an army, train it, and repel them. Then the goblins invaded... and that is it. No word from humanity, nor from dwarfkind (which is expected, considering how screwy DF fortress mode is with them when you don't play as the dwarves)

CJ1145

• Bay Watcher
  • *Insert Meme Here*
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: May 10, 2009, 05:42:57 pm »

Sorry for the bump, but I'm loving the obscurity of kobold life! In the world I genned, a demon batters the Dwarfs monthly with a horde of hundreds, and for the last thousand years humanity has struggled to end the age of the elf... and I'm not involved at all! I'm just sitting in my little corner of the world, desperately fighting off carp as best as my little minions can.
This being Homestuck, I'm not sure whether that's post-scratch Rose or Vriska with a wig.

SeanTucker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: June 07, 2009, 04:29:09 am »

I genned a world and started a fortress... everything on the non-hunting front is going well, including the fishing. I managed to start somewhere without carp.

However, my hunter just got mauled by a cougar.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: June 07, 2009, 02:22:39 pm »

One thing I dont get is why no weaving? its a fairly basic skill. also the Kobolds are a civilization, they are not city builders but still a civil people with

also many nomadic cultures cultivate seasonal crops. and the way the game is set, cultivation is seasonal, maybe mod in a plant available at embark that has low yield and only a single season of allowed growth. this also would fit with the mod since it gives you the feeling that your kobols are actually rebels that are desiding to dig in and hold their ground as apposed to simply scattering at the whim of the more "advanced" civs.

I am working on changing the mod I downloaded, but I am an inexperienced modder and am working on a few of these on my own copy, but I think they should not be arbitrarily booted from any job/skill set, just their knowledge of what their limits are.

also they need mechanics because wells are an old world item, 8100 BC and even if the bolds couldn't figure this out on their own, they are thieves and that isnt limited to items, but also technology and ideas. and im tiered o them tantroming rom lack of a well pushing them over the edge :P.

Lord_Frodo

• Bay Watcher
  • The crazy in the corner
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: June 07, 2009, 03:33:10 pm »

well the weaving and mechanics should be easy to put in, just find the appropriate tags in their entity entry.
but the plant would do them no good, unless they aren't going to eat it. they have the bonecarn tag which means they are carnivores.
unless the plant was for cloth of course.
Even the cutest things can be endearing when on fire. ~ Cajoes
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Jakkarra

« Reply #369 on: June 07, 2009, 03:55:20 pm »

unlessits possible to mod it to give out meat, call it a triffid.

Bloogonis

• Bay Watcher
  • Steamyworks
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: June 07, 2009, 05:25:53 pm »

I was thinking of the fiber plants for weaving, as well as brewing, they don't need the booze but they can still drink and it makes a nice roast  :P

if it can produce meat that would be great, I've never even seen that in a mod before. could be written off in a high protein massive sized bean.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: June 08, 2009, 03:53:12 am »

Adding jobs doesn't require a regen, so if you just started and felt disappointed by your lack of weaving, just go to the entity file and grab it from the dwarf entry. Then paste it to the kobold's permitted jobs. Next, ????. Then, profit.

Don't forget clothesmaking so you can actually use the stuff you weave.

Mechanisms though, those I left out of my added extra kobold jobs. It just seems more appropriate that way, even when I have to wait for a migrant with Mechanic job to show up.

The farming thing, that is again a matter of preference. Sure, farming is simple. But so are kobolds. So perhaps we can just say that they see a large spot of plants growing, and the herbalist walks up and says "ah, my field is growing nicely". Then he just starts scavenging while everyone else totally believes that it's a field.

Chariot

• Bay Watcher
  • Turtle Trainer
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: June 08, 2009, 04:51:59 am »

if they had heavy thigs like Iron or steel, it would weigh them down, destroying the advantage they have from being dextrous.

both copper and bronze are heavier than iron irl

Jakkarra

« Reply #373 on: June 08, 2009, 10:37:58 am »

both copper and bronze are heavier than iron irl

i reject your reality and substitute my own.

"yay! Jakkarra is soooooooo smart! he is awesome i shall give him all of my moniez!"

8)

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: June 08, 2009, 03:50:50 pm »

anyway...I'm DLing this mod, will post what I think in a mo

(though I might get turfed off PC)
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 42