Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42

Author Topic: Kobold Camp  (Read 154578 times)

Jakkarra

Re: Kobold Camp
« Reply #330 on: April 02, 2009, 06:39:10 pm »

i doubt anyone in the Kobold society would live long enough/ be retarded enought to become a noble anyway.

They have a short life expectancy (even shorter than the average kobold civvy) and the kobold Civs arent really interested in the pampered Morons that nobles are, everyone needs to be useful just to survive.

Anyway, kobolds are too nice to be that arrogant :D

Love, jakkarra

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: April 03, 2009, 12:43:49 pm »

Can Kobold camp world saves be ported to normal DF?
I want to have a dwarven fortress beneath the ruins of my camp when I inevitably fail.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #332 on: April 03, 2009, 12:48:57 pm »

Unfortunately, you cannot change starting civ when reclaiming; you'd have to play the same side.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #333 on: April 03, 2009, 01:40:45 pm »

I recall that I did abandon a fort in normal DF, then threw the world over to the Kobold Camp modded DF, and reclaimed it as kobolds.

It was glorious. Anvils everywhere.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #334 on: April 03, 2009, 02:30:41 pm »

Hmm... maybe it just selects a random applicable civ.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: April 03, 2009, 03:01:15 pm »

I'll have a try, and say if it works.
I'll abandon/lose the camp first, obviously.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #336 on: April 04, 2009, 05:23:27 am »

Ok, it doesn't work, but I think that could be remedied by whacking in the new files for kobolds and their new weapons like the chopper and shovel and stuff, but removing them as a playable race.
I'd recommend testing this in a fresh version of DF so you don't break anything.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: April 04, 2009, 07:20:19 am »

http://www.mediafire.com/?jeew42qnrxi

kobold pictures from anonib's image dump thread.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #338 on: April 04, 2009, 11:55:00 am »

D'awwwwwww.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: April 05, 2009, 10:21:43 am »

Ok, it doesn't work, but I think that could be remedied by whacking in the new files for kobolds and their new weapons like the chopper and shovel and stuff, but removing them as a playable race.
I'd recommend testing this in a fresh version of DF so you don't break anything.

I think that's what I did. It was rather tiresome moving all those files though so it was the only Dwarven fort that I reclaimed as kobolds before I changed my approach a bit. Meaning, make a flier itemthief civ that had the same ethics as kobolds did. It was still surprising the first time they arrived with merchants though.

Anyway.

I figure that I finally get why I never got any other nobles than a Dungeon Master and a Philosopher. Although I should have gotten to this conclusion faster, it's because of that itemthief tag that they never showed up.

So I decided to mod a bit, and removed the itemthief tag from kobolds, and replaced it with babysnatcher. Assuming that all goes as it should, the current camp should eventually get some kobold nobles to show up and start acting like the jerks they are.

For maximum fun though, I play with kobolds, and the Civ Forge mod, so there are, what, 18 races at the moment in the game, all but one hostile towards kobolds. This results in sieges happening every few season, and to this point, the silver xelics have never failed to ambush the camp in the following season from the creation of the new camp.

So I have been forced to do a bit of things, as in using Dwarf Utility to give my trader a dabbling skill in Mechanic, and build a few stonefall traps in the entrance to the fort. Along with surrounding the camp with walls, except that one place where the merchants can walk in.

However, things still don't go exactly as planned. From most camps I've made in this setting, the xelics always arrive, attack, and kill a stonecrafter. They must have something against artists, or something. At that point though, the miner always walks in and slaughters them with his/her shovel.

It's fun, although sad. They try so hard just to survive, and always someone walks up to their camp with genocide in mind.

Good thing whenever a Dungeon Master shows up, I can get some metalwork done, if no migrants with those skills have showed up. And those Philosophers... sure, they don't do anything, but at least they make friends fast. Mostly with kids. Makes me wonder just what do they talk about.

"Ah, life. What is it, you ask? Well, to put it simply, life is cruel, then you die."

No wonder kobolds get so upset during camp creation. I had a farmer go insane because a stonecrafter died. Sure, it was her husband, but you'd think that a kobold would be able to handle death a bit better, since it is the final destination for them all.

Still, it is helpful that when kobolds have kids, they have a bunch. In a fort of 275, fourth of the population was in the military, 90% of them were champions. Whenever a siege arrived, I was able to steamroll them with wave after wave of angry, "earned" iron weapon wielding kobolds. Goblins are the least of my worries, really. They always tend to lose their cool when the guy first in the line bites the dust when some champion stabs through their face with a spear.

Orcs however... now those are a real threat. Yet to lose a camp, although Frost Giants once destroyed half of my troops before I managed to get a true kobold-army going on. There were 20 champions. 8 survived.

That day I also learned that you can't crush Frost Giants with a drawbridge. Seriously, I didn't see that coming, even when they were supposed to be giants.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2009, 10:23:19 am by Ieb »

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #340 on: April 06, 2009, 01:41:05 am »

I just had an epiphany! Why not mod out all the rock types?

What I mean by this, if you mod out all the rock types, you can allow kobolds to dig, but they would never be digging into rock, only soil, because that would be the only thing left!

Me: not responsible in case of horrible misunderstanding of how soil types work.

Cles

• Bay Watcher
  • I need some Cave Spider silk parachutes.
    • View Profile
« Reply #341 on: April 06, 2009, 08:44:09 am »

Hmm...that could be interesting. I'd say that you should keep Obsidian for primitive weapons.

The Doctor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #342 on: April 06, 2009, 02:48:30 pm »

And make it an all-rock-type ...rock.

Karadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #343 on: April 06, 2009, 04:09:47 pm »

That aside: Kobold nobles. How long does it take for them to show up? My camp of 300 had like 2 million in worth, a Dungeon Master and a Philosopher, but no notable nobles ever showed up.

There ARE kobold nobles, right?

Did you take off the Item_Thief tag so that you have exported wealth?  Because 0 exported wealth means most nobles aren't an option as they have exported wealth requirements.
and have no idea ... if building buildings out of water is a bad idea.

GENERATION 27:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tiler

• Bay Watcher
  • [ODOR_LEVEL:999]
    • View Profile
« Reply #344 on: April 06, 2009, 04:15:46 pm »

Kobold Protip: Use drawbridges for roofs. Uses less wood, still counts as indoors. You just can't make another floor on top, but eh.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 [23] 24 25 ... 42