Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 42

Author Topic: Kobold Camp  (Read 154596 times)

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Kobold Camp
« Reply #315 on: March 30, 2009, 10:53:09 am »

On a camp of 300 kobolds I had a fair share of unfortunate accidents, one of which involved a baby losing her mother. I didn't even notice that had happened until I saw a hungry baby walking around the camp. Upon inspection, both her parents were dead. So I crossed the kobold off in advance, because orphans starve, right?

Apparently not with kobolds.

Months passed and I didn't get a mention of a baby dying of starvation, dehydration or anything of the sort. So I tracked the baby down.

Turns out that someone had given it water and food, and eventually the baby matured into a pup, and into a upstanding citizen for the camp.

I thought that orphan babies always kill themselves off. Why not in this case? And why don't my dwarves ever feed the orphans?

It is a mystery. Or then the kobolds need every possible pair of extra hands for the future, for that day when they know someone will raid their settlement.
If the Cutebold pictures are anything to go by, baby kobolds must be so adorable that no-one could kill one (Apart from a dwarf.)
I personally assume that dwarven babies are absolutely repulsive, which is why they get kicked out at 12.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Guillo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: March 30, 2009, 12:15:33 pm »

Kobolds have a hard life... the local carver, Dradaseemus, went to work this morning only to find a crazed racoon in his shop. Before he could react, it pounced him and clawed out his left eye! He fell unconscious from the pain as his friend Fibifipirus walked in and quickly shot the racoon with a wooden arrow. Minutes later Dradaseemus woke up and immediately went back to his work... never mind that he had just lost an eye to a rabid animal attack... though he still collapses in screaming agony from time to time.

(He must have used some kobold ingenuity and packed his wound with sawdust)

*EDIT* As a side note, to avoid such sad stories in the future I propose the immediate implementation of free government provided kobold healthcare. Those dandy noble kobolds are exploiting the peasantry.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:20:13 pm by Guillo »

Jakkarra

« Reply #317 on: March 30, 2009, 05:04:16 pm »

i have always loved the kobolds in their furry incarnation, i only went off them slightly when they kept being portrayed as lizards.

id like to try to convert them to the same tech level as dorfs, as i just cant accept that they have to stay at low tech (im pretty sure its because every other species is racist -.-)
anyone know of a mod that basically replaces dwarves with 'bolds? with their own language files and the same tech as Dorfs? id rather have a real mod rather than just replacing the tiles.

Also, whats with bolds not seeming to know where pups come from? have i missed a post?

Love, jakkarra

Adalore

• Bay Watcher
  • Meep...
    • View Profile
    • My Youtube
« Reply #318 on: March 30, 2009, 05:24:30 pm »

Naw, they are just portrayed as... dim, so they have no idea... It just tends to happen... who knows.

I like kobolds in general, they are the underdogs, Canine or not.

I haves my own gallery matey!
www.adalore.deviantart.com
Not quite dwarfy enough yet.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: March 31, 2009, 04:09:25 pm »

Good Mod.

Question: Is there a way to set the money the civ gets at the preparing screen? I was wondering that.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: April 01, 2009, 07:37:04 am »

i have always loved the kobolds in their furry incarnation, i only went off them slightly when they kept being portrayed as lizards.

id like to try to convert them to the same tech level as dorfs, as i just cant accept that they have to stay at low tech (im pretty sure its because every other species is racist -.-)
anyone know of a mod that basically replaces dwarves with 'bolds? with their own language files and the same tech as Dorfs? id rather have a real mod rather than just replacing the tiles.

Er.... what's the point? Then you're just playing as dwarves and calling them "kobolds".
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Jakkarra

« Reply #321 on: April 01, 2009, 10:29:37 am »

well g-flex, basically, yeah.

dosent change the fact that kobolds are cooler than dorfs. pleasedontflameme

Love, jakkarra

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: April 01, 2009, 12:07:20 pm »

Hmm, i like this mod for all it's primitiveness and cuteness, but i wonder, what would kobolds be like if they were slightly more advanced in technology? (As in, masonry and farming, but not mechanics or glassmaking.)
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: April 01, 2009, 05:52:04 pm »

Question: Is there a way to set the money the civ gets at the preparing screen? I was wondering that.
I repeat my question and...

It seems that when a kobold caravan comes(just got one  ;D ), when they leave, it says:
A thief has stolen (insert item here).
Is there any way to change this.

And in a recent migrant wave, I got a weaponsmith...wut?

Jakkarra

« Reply #324 on: April 02, 2009, 01:21:43 am »

the merchant thing is a bug, noone is completely sure which tag causes said "thief effect" but anytime a kobold leaves the area with an item, even if it brought the item, it counts as being stolen.

oh, and about the weaponsmith? i THINK thats a bug, but i cant be sure, you can get virtually any skillset from 'bold immigrants.

o, and these were mentioned before, i think...

Love, jakkarra

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #325 on: April 02, 2009, 03:56:04 am »

If you want rid of the caravans stealing your stuff, just remove the ITEM_THIEF tag from the Kobold entity part. However this makes most races friendly towards you again, which isn't the point of this mod. But hey, to each his/her own way of playing, right?

The weaponsmith/anyone-with-similar-not-kobold-jobs arriving as migrants is a small bug. It seems to be hardcoded into the game to send migrants with jobs from every job there is, even if your civ normally can't do the job.

However, if you get a Jeweler, which isn't a normal job for 'bolds, you can still have a gem industry going. You just can't turn it off from the guy or give it to anyone else, so if he/she dies, you have to wait for another migrant to show up with the skill.

That aside: Kobold nobles. How long does it take for them to show up? My camp of 300 had like 2 million in worth, a Dungeon Master and a Philosopher, but no notable nobles ever showed up.

There ARE kobold nobles, right?

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: April 02, 2009, 02:40:48 pm »

I doubt it.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #327 on: April 02, 2009, 02:56:44 pm »

Only one way to find out then.

7th year Camp.
252 Kobolds.
25% of populace in military.
Final destination.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: April 02, 2009, 03:09:35 pm »

This keeps springing up in my head:

Kobold nobles = Kobles or Nobolds

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #329 on: April 02, 2009, 03:41:34 pm »

There is nothing bold of those pampered elitists.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 [22] 23 24 ... 42