Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Turning a natural cave into a fort  (Read 3081 times)

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
Re: Turning a natural cave into a fort
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2008, 09:13:00 pm »

Well, thankfully I have plenty of iron to work with for this on the map.

I am gonna try and avoid altering the cave as much as possible.

Oh, for those a bit curious as to what can show up in caves, here are some of the more interesting caves I noticed in a text file the game gave me after exporting an image, and the source for this fun idea.

Cave 1
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Cave 2
Cave 3

I do have to say, depending on what and where things in a cave show up things could become quite interesting. None of these are from the world I am  currently playing in, just a teaser of how challenging addapting a cave to a fort could be.
I had no idea that could be done.  This should prove very helpful.
It's weird, I had the idea for a pressure plate regulated reservoir just after reading the OP but before reading the first suggestion.  Strange I didn't think of it before, it's a problem I had been wondering about for awhile.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2008, 12:06:11 am »

Can anyone give hints on finding such caves?  I've found a few caves embarking at random, but they were no more than a 10x10 area at most.
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2008, 05:21:29 am »

Can anyone give hints on finding such caves?  I've found a few caves embarking at random, but they were no more than a 10x10 area at most.

There's a worldgen option to make caves visible, and up their size and frequency as well.  But you have to do it at worldgen.

What I want to know is where you guys are getting all these way cool creatures in big caves.  I've embarked on a few of these and the best I got was a little bit of cave with three trolls.  I know there's the option for cave sizes, but I've never seen a big one in the new versions.  (I'm certainly not hoping for the old-style mating-octopi caves, but something a little larger than a half-dozen rooms would be nice.)
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.
Pages: 1 2 [3]